Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/29 21:23:39 (permalink)

EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT

I was hutning in the mountains tonight.It was cold and had some snow flurries.I got to my spot at 2:30.I had no action untill 5:20 when i heard something walking in the pines behind me.It was a doe it was coming down a scent trial i laid down with border crossing ever calm and vs-1 in it.I lef it walk under me then it was 10 to 12 yards.I got the maxxis 31 off the pine branch drew back an smoked her.She ran 40 yards then she did a circle an come running right back to me.When she was standing where she died the blood flow coming out of her was unbelieveable.I shot it with a rage titanium both blades broke i guess it was from the 4 ribs it cut in half

42 Replies Related Threads

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/29 22:32:17 (permalink)
    RAGE in the CAGE!!! never go wrong....congrats!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/30 01:03:30 (permalink)
    congrats on your doe ! I shoot Rage but have herd many stories of their weakness. I'm still undecided.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/30 18:43:39 (permalink)
    Congrats on your doe,I've shot 3 with the three bladed Rage 100 gr head,and have broke ribs going in and out on all three deer,all where pass throughs and no blades broke on all three shots,and a blood trail was unbelieveable, even Stevie Wonder could follow it!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/31 08:16:11 (permalink)
    Well another test was performed last night.I had 2 little ones and mommy at 39 yards.I have never shot passed 30 yards at deer just not comfortable.The one little one was looking my way so i know i could make the shot.I drew back settle my pin right on her side an khwack.It cut her from behind the shoulder an came out her ****hole.I shot this one with a G5 T3 it didn't blow through her but killed her.I don't carry i camera with i should but just one more thing to pack.I never stop by the house to take pics on less it's a buck we just take them to the butcher shop.After i shot my doe i had maybe a shooter come to a 100 yards but couldn't get him no closer i even had a buck decoy setup.My buddy hit a giant last night.It was at 18 yards squeeze his release an it took a step.He hit it far back he said but he had enough sense not to even thinking about going to look for it last night.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/31 13:24:04 (permalink)
    My buddy sent my a cell phone pic of his deer.It looked like a main frame 8.It scored 132 7/8
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/31 16:20:32 (permalink)
    I can't believe the amount of shots that are taking having the deer face you. I always take broadside or quartering away or none at all. But thats me. Chicken, sounds like you are warmed up. Now lets see some bone !! lol Quite using Rage ??
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/10/31 16:21:42
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/10/31 17:02:48 (permalink)
    No OA i bought a pack of both an was going to try each one out on a doe if it was presented.I just went to cabela's today to get me another pack of rage titanium.I can't find the tips and extra blades yet.I know i could make the shot OA.I been shooting all year an at 40 yards i'm death.Yeah i'm warmed up now.I was just looking through the photos from this year to see which one i wanted to take.I really like them 2 big 10 but i got a few with split g2 and brows and one with a cork screw looking rack.We'll see waht happens.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/01 10:15:52 (permalink)
    tested my grimm reapers saterday got pass through all blades intact and sharp. able to use this broadhead again. and 10 point dead 60yards away with massive blood trail to him.
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/02 09:36:58 (permalink)
    Why would you want to "test" a broadhead on a doe before a buck? You'd rather have a dead doe out in the woods that you can't find than a buck? They are both deer, just because one has a rack doesnt make it any different in my eyes. I would never "test" a broadhead on a live animal.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 07:31:25 (permalink)
    I think you missed understood.Earlier in the year we posted that we would report what kind of damage are heads would do steel.I knew both the heads i shot would kill deer with ease if hit properly.I liked the rage better but the g5 t3 didn't get a pass through but it was 39 yards looking at me.I know of 3 others guys that shot buck with the T3'S an none of them got pass throughs either.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 07:41:18 (permalink)
    39 yards with a compound bow and the deer quartering toward you ??? Really???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 07:47:22 (permalink)
    Yeah i know it's not a very good shot to take but i knew i could make it.I can put 3 arrows in a 4 inch circle at 40 yards everytime with my maxxis 31.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 08:59:37 (permalink)
    SORRY but ....I have to agree with Bings again.. not a very ethical shot...

In another earlier post you wrote you could do that (3 arrows in a 4 inch circle at 40 yards) 80 percent of the time..

I replied then that I did not think that was wise shooting that distance when 20% of the time you are not hitting where you want ..., and taking a 40 yard shot at a deer facing you when you are only 80% accurate at that distance is something I would not brag about... but that may just be me ?????
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 09:23:27 (permalink)
    I think i said 80 percent of the time at 60.I know it wasn't a etchical shot but i'm not like you doc i don't lie there pal.There is a person on here that got your statement about leaving the site as here last words.I will try to find an put her name on here so everybody can see that your a liar.The deer is dead so it wasn't a good shot i know if i would of gimp it up i would of posted that also on here.I'm a man doc i can take grief for my stupid stuff i do can you?
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 09:27:18 (permalink)
    Found it the name is cold why don't everybody take a look at what the doc wroteon 5/14/2010.Come on man up if you say something be a man an do it.One more question why didn't you leave the site?Are you a liar?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 09:39:46 (permalink)
    #1.. what cold has in his signature is OLD NEWS ... he thinks it's cool.... me I love the publicity and it shows how childish he is to keep it there...... BTW... everyone already knows what I wrote on that day ... that's all they have to complain about just keep bringing up that I changed my mind and stay to tell the "other side" of the stories...... there are even some who are GLAD I stayed...

so in your book of ethics and name-calling == if a person changes his mind on something he is a liar right ???? sounds like high school logic to me...

2.. I never called you a liar.... not my style...

I just pointed out that you wrote you were only 80% accurate at 40 yards... and yes unless you edited it after I called you out on it... it was at 40 yards you wrote .. you even said you had been practicing all summer to get that good .....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/05 09:40:55
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 10:26:56 (permalink)
    I can't find what i wrote maybe it was 40 not sure.The way i fell is if you think 100 percent that you can kill the animal then take the shot.Yes i have gimp a few so has everyone else.I usally shot to far forward when i do gimp them with no penetraion through the shoulders.Not on purpose i just pull the shot.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 10:47:24 (permalink)
    Yes I have gimp a few so has everyone else

I have no real problem with someone who admits to "gimping" a few deer.... in effect it shows a little of his character

but to go so far as to say "so has everyone" ???

you really believe everyone has gimped deer ???

Many folks take shots that they shouldn't.. they just do not care about the outcome of such shots.. "after all they are just deer" and are willing to lose or "gimp" a few over the years..

Others like the challenge of risky shots and show no concern about the outcome either.. it's the thrill.. I can brag about the distance if I am successful...

and sometimes things go wrong "arrow hit a branch" for example ...maybe too dark... or the archer did not know there was branches there ???

BUT = I would never say all have "gimped deer" I say less than half have... but maybe I know more safe ethical hunters than most who think everyone has none it a few times...

too each his own ..........

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 14:33:25 (permalink)
    Doc wrote=there are even some who are GLAD I stayed

Just for accuracys sake which I know Doc is always interested in (Doc didn't stay) He quit, and after cooling off awhile he came back, as he has done several times before.

As for the shot, take whatever shot you are comfortable with based on your skill. For me, that is not a shot my skill level would allow me to try. Not much room for error.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 17:19:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

I have never shot passed 30 yards at deer just not comfortable.    The one little one was looking my way so i know i could make the shot.

Your confusing me ?  
    "Never shot past 30 yrds at a deer just not comfortable,  but the little one was looking my way 39 yrds out so I know I could make the shot". 

Seems to me if you've never been comfortable passed 30 yrds you should'nt have taken the shot.  But now you think it's ok because you made the kill, this time, even though you still aren't comfortable with your own abilities passed 30 yrds. And shooting at a deer that is facing you 39 yrds out, well I won't even touch that one, You explained yourself quite well, and I think I heard all I need to know about the kinda of archer you are. I find dead deer every year on my property with arrows hangin out of them because people like you most likely more often than not over extended their abilities just to take a shot.

Your post all contradict themselves and the responses you received certainly have nothing to do with Dr. trouts decision to stop posting for a while and then start up again, nice try though trying to deflect the attention you deserve onto someone else.   And you probably sit back and wonder why so many private landowners post their property.  Please continue to entertain us.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 18:20:58 (permalink)
    Nice shot Chick man,If you are comfortable and KNOW you can do it,go for it.I don't have a problem with that,I take way closer shots,but that's just me.I bet Doc gimped few over the year with his gun,anybody that hasn't wounded a deer is a lair or only shot a couple in there life. I'll bet more deer are wounded with a rifle than any other weapon.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 20:10:40 (permalink)
    WOW..i honestly cant believe what this whole thread turned into..its suddenly a power struggle...whos d!@k is bigger???...arent we all supposed to be sportsman here...we all have a great thing in commen...are love of the outdoors...look so what what anyone has said...we all get excited when we see a deer...thats why were out there..he took the shot got the meat..the end...congrats is all we need to say andmove on...try to do the same for ourselves!
    post edited by bassboatbill - 2010/11/05 20:11:32

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 20:56:14 (permalink)
    sorry never gimped a deer...

course I never need to kill one bad enough to take shots I'm not comfortable with.. most of my deer are shot within 50-60 yards with a rifle, standing still and within 20 yards with a bow from a tree stand also standing still....all were shot while standing broadside .. the day I just wound or lose a deer that I shot with a rifle is the day I will quit deer hunting...but that's just my choices for deer hunting shots.. others are free to do what they want...

I just get upset with folks posting for all to see how they wound or lose deer.... you get a reply like the landowner above posted..

I did lose one female in archery season a few years ago on state game lands.. chest shot.. not a pass-thru.. she went into a thick slashing and after hours and hours we could not find her... I no longer hunt areas like that any more in archery season.. I was sick that I lost that deer
    tmiller
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 21:29:38 (permalink)
    I have lost deer with both gun as well as bow. Crap happens. Makes us all sick. not that i took risky shotsbut, no blood to follow. Also for the record glad you decided to keep posting doc, always good to see different sides.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 21:44:39 (permalink)
    thanks tmiller ...

I guess I just wish folks would not post things like that.. it gives the antis fuel and they really do a good enough job of trying to make us look like heartless killers.... fish can feel pain etc....

I'd rather see the wounded and lost not posted on message boards... but it happens every year ... you are right = crap does happen and we all know that.. it just does not need to be post for the world to read IMHO....

I'm truly happy chicken killed the deer,I hate to see deer being wasted..

but did he really have to post the distance after posting he was only 80% successful at that distance or that it was facing him, which most believe is NOT a good ethical archery shot.. ????

He could have left that out and we would still be just as happy for him...

oh well maybe it's just me ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/05 21:49:59
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 22:24:27 (permalink)
    First of all I can put 4 arrows in a 5" circle at 50 yards. But I still wont shoot past 30. Second I don't appreciate being called a liar,Ive never "gimped" a deer. I guess that makes me a liar by your standards big tuna. And by the way I have killed more than a "couple". As can be seen by the 2 over 120" hanging on my wall. But wait, Im a liar so I guess they dont exist. I guess thats all for now. Next time anybody wants to call me a liar come look at my photo album first. Until then I think I'll keep my shots to 30 yards broadside or quartering away, and shoot my slick tricks that I dont have to "test" on poor innocent does. Goodluck to everybody else!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/05 22:41:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Steel Junkie

...poor innocent does...

Best line in this thread....hahaha
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/06 07:00:12 (permalink)
    I have gimped 1 deer in 25 years of Archery hunting and that was my first..I have 3 buck on the wall and none of them had an arrow coming out there arse....
    In MY opinion you can't shoot deer facing you at 40 yds just to test your equipment..The amismmen do that on a regular basis around here with a bunch of stuck deer running around the woods.....
    Watch out for the Flying pigs I agree with the DOC on this one....

Calling people a LIAR hiding behind a computer screen makes you this guy and what does rifle hunting have to do with a poor archery shot ??.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: EQUIPMENT TEST TONIGHT 2010/11/06 09:40:03 (permalink)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: