Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
riverrunsthrume
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/29 08:51:16 (permalink)

Waders

If you willing to spend & I mean spend to buy the best pair of waders on the market. What would you buy? I have reached a point where I no longer want to buy inexpensive fly fishing waders. This time I want to buy exactly what I want, but cannot make up my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

37 Replies Related Threads

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Waders 2010/10/29 09:12:55 (permalink)
    every pair of waders will eventually leak some sooner than others, even expensive ones.  the new redington waders use laser sealed seams that are not stitched.  i would look into them.  if you want traditional waders simms are repudiated to be top of the line.
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Waders 2010/10/29 09:22:23 (permalink)
    What about cabelas? Thier stuff has a gurantee if it leaks, send it back and viola! New pair of waders..... if they no longer have your particular ones they will send you a voucher to use. Now that I think about it, thats where my next set most likly will come from.....

Jacob
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Waders 2010/10/29 09:43:31 (permalink)
    I'm betting that within the next few posts someone will post that Simms are the best and that nothing compares.

Truth is.. there's a couple of wader companies you can't go wrong with. Patagonia, Dan Bailey, and Simms are in my opinion the top 3. That being said, if you fish a lot, you won't get more than 2 years out of any brand. In saying "a lot" I don't mean fishing a dozen days per year, I'm talking about a couple days per week year round.

I wear Dan Baileys most of the time. I have both the lightweights and the Yellowstone guides. The yellowstone guides are built like a tank, but are a little warm in the summer, and the lightweights are better for warm weather, but don't have as many layers of material.

post edited by thedrake - 2010/10/29 09:49:59
    ThePharmacist
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Waders 2010/10/30 18:22:01 (permalink)
    I got a "deal" on a pair of Simms G3 and love them (size tall and skinny). Have only used them about 30 times but so far so good. I must say now that there is an LLBEAN store near my home I will consider a pair of those if I have a need in the next year or 2 just because of the no questions asked policy on getting new ones when they leak. BUT if my Simms keep up the good work I will probably remain loyal to that brand for future needs.
    hendey lathe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Waders 2010/10/31 11:13:35 (permalink)
    My vote would go to Simms and Cloudveil waders. I retired my Simms Lightweights after 10 years of service. I bought them at International Angler for $200. They were replaced by a pair of Simms Rivershed II waders that I bought from Cabelas, on sale, for $200. These are my Yough waders. I also have a pair of Clouveil Crystal Creek wading pants for Laurel Hill & other "small water". I've had these waders for 3 years now. Both waders are high quality in my opinion. I too am interested in the seamless design, good idea , but only time will tell if they are long lasting. I've never had a seam leak in any of my waders (I get out probably 40 to 50 times a year) and any pin hole leak is I may get is no fault but my own. The "Off Season" is a great time to buy gear you thought you couldn't afford. You just have to keep checking stores web sites and I'm sure the gear your looking for will turn up. Hope you find what your looking for.
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Waders 2010/10/31 11:52:03 (permalink)
    Here's my sad truth about waders. In most cases I've gotten the same amount of dry wear out of top of the line (expensive) waders as I've gotten out of $100-$200 waders. Even more sad, to me, is that I've gotten longer dry wear out of the less expensive ones than the most expensive ones. I average a dry season (calendar year) out of a pair of waders. Warrenties don't mean squat. I sent my top of the line Simms back after getting leaks in less than a season. Two weeks later I got a call from them saying they'll fix my waders for $75. BS I said, they're not even a year old and their is a warrenty involved. The customer service woman said I used my waders "too much" and that I should "buy a second pair and rotate them" when I told her how much fishing I've done in them (averaged 40 hours a week in the trout streams until they were frozen over). I said maybe you're right and went out and bought some Baileys. (Great waders and great customer service by the way). That is who I've been using for 2 seasons now and have been very happy.

I truly believe that you pay the higher prices for bells and whistles (and name), not dryer wear-which is why we buy waders to begin with. Who needs waders with multiple pockets, zippers, etc. I need them to keep stream water out and let perspiration out. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've checked out the new sonic seams (welded seams). They may be great, but I don't trust the technology yet. I think after a few generations of real use by real anglers, not fashion models who dress the part (but don't have a clue), they'll be a good thing as leaking seams are my problem.

PS-I'm pretty sure Orvis may have redesigned their guide models because of me. I was only getting about 4 months of use out of them before the knee seams were leaking. They replaced numerous pairs for me - good customer service, but that doesn't mean squat when I'm getting wet in cold water and wasting fishing time getting a product that shouldn't fail replaced.

Disclaimer-I don't do any brush busting type of fishing in waders and rarely get pin holes or tears (I fix those myself if it happens). It is always a seam leak.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Waders 2010/10/31 12:03:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hendey lathe

... Cloudveil waders....

ABSOLUTELY NOT
    I have been singing the praises of Cloudveil waders for a few years
    i have/had the 8x boots, 8x waders, and 8x jackets
    yes they are all extremely comfortable and loaded nice features... but i am on my 3rd pair... all with leaking booties
    i sent the boots back that were SHREDDED after 2years
    CV has now discontinued their fishing product line
    the only thing (from the fishing line) that hasn't been a complete disaster is the 8x jacket... but that too had to have a zipper replaced

Boots... fail
    waders... fail x3

cloudFAIL
    post edited by KJH807 - 2010/10/31 12:05:05

Bugslinger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 19:29:10 (permalink)
    Breathable waders are like anything else, if you take care of them theyll last, if you dont they wont. They are all made basicly the same type of material names may vary but a water tight breathable fabric is what there all made of. Cut and size is what matters the most unless your a label wearer.Cabellas is the best bang for your buck but Simms fit better and have been designed by fisherman and fish like they were.
    post edited by Bugslinger - 2010/11/01 19:32:56

coming down!!!
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 20:08:19 (permalink)
    I have a pair of field and stream breathables. They were 75$ and the only leak so far after 30+ trips is from a briar patch. They are single ply too no double layers anywhere.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 21:00:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bugslinger

Breathable waders are like anything else, if you take care of them theyll last, if you dont they wont. They are all made basicly the same type of material names may vary but a water tight breathable fabric is what there all made of. Cut and size is what matters the most unless your a label wearer.Cabellas is the best bang for your buck but Simms fit better and have been designed by fisherman and fish like they were.

define "take care of them"
    i fully dry inside and out... store in low humidity constant appropriate temp... and i'm careful of seam stress when putting them on/taking off
    But how I fish would hardly be called "taking care of them"... but that is what they are made for

yes... they are all basically the same in materials in good waders (3, 5, or 7 layer)
    but thats like saying a chevy colbalt and a bently are the same... a car made out of metal

the biggest and most important difference are what makes the waders
    construction... features... warranty
    those 3 aspects are what makes the waders
    warranty and features to be more important in the past few years
    WHEN (not if) they leak, i like to know that i will have a new pair coming my way
    and while i'm wearing them i want the features that make my day comfortable and enjoyable

personally i would never buy cabelas waders for my style/amount of fishing
    poor materials
    bad features
    poor fit/construction

wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 21:25:11 (permalink)
    One definitely NOT to get is Orvis.  Don't even ask me why I did; I really don't know.  But they had a major seam leak within 5 times of wearing them.  The shop I bought them from did replace them and the next pair was just as bad.  A most unfortunate purchase.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 21:42:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bugslinger

Breathable waders are like anything else, if you take care of them theyll last, if you dont they wont.

Yeah...except not.

Had a pair of entry level Orvis waders that I wore for 2 seasons with no issues. Developed a slow leak in the booty so I sent them back. 3 weeks later I hadn't heard anything so I checked with the shop I sent them back through. They called and I guess my waders got lost in the mail, so they replaced them with the new entry level model right then and there. I was really pleased with that service and told people about it. Well less than 10 fishing trips later, I had three separate leaks going, booty, pinhole and knee seam. Sent them back again. 5 weeks later they came back (that's a long time to depend on an old pair of rubber hippers and wet-wading), and this time, I got charged $30 bucks. I wasn't happy about that but I paid it, and now I wish I had refused to pay it and just walked out of the store. They'd repaired the leaks I mentioned, sure, but I didn't get to use them for about 5-6 weeks after that. When I did finally get to use them, I fished in them for about 3 days, and the seam started leaking again, and the other booty developed a slow leak. Another weekend of fishing in them, and the seam leaked worse and a new pinhole developed.

The last time I went to Erie I should have just taken hip boots or wet waded, because my pants and socks were drenched from the knee down anyway. Thinking about just dropping them off at the store I got them from and letting them know that no, I don't want them repaired, I just want to let them dispose of their own garbage.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders 2010/11/01 22:22:50 (permalink)
    i notice people talking about brands... not models
    even with the same logo there are extreme difference of construction, materials, and quality across different models of the same brand
    ie simms
    Blackfoot wader- chinese non-goretex $140... no features
    G4 pro- $530 made in the US, 5layer goretex from the belt down/ 3layer goretex above... every feature you can imagine, built for serious usage

and there are many models in between that range in quality and construction... and as they do, so does the price

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Waders 2010/11/02 07:59:34 (permalink)
    Orvis Tailwaters...4th season, only had to repair 2 pinhole leaks this yr. with aquaseal. IMO pretty darn good on breathables....THEY ALL LEAK EVENTUALLY, especially when in use on a regular basis. I like the heavier materials on the front legs and rear and the fact that they convert from chest to waist. They also redesigned their line this year placing the seems on the back instead of inner thigh (where mine wore thru slightly). I'm due for another pair, and I'll go with Orvis again...the price is right and customer service excellent. Good luck with your choice.

Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Waders 2010/11/02 09:18:40 (permalink)
    I've had 6 different models of Orvis waders over the last 15 years. Every one has leaked. Some sooner than others. The first pair were the original Clearwaters. The blue ones. They lasted the longest. I've had the Pro Guides I, Tailwater XT's ann now Pro Guide III's. They've all leaked way in the seams earlier than they should have. I will say Orvis stepped up each time and offered me the next level up wader to replace the leaking ones at either no charge or for little dollars. Next pair is Simms G3's. They're on the way as I write this.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Waders 2010/11/02 09:26:03 (permalink)
    look at ebay for waders i picked up a set of simms g3's a wading back support and a simms vest for 275.00 no leaks and was backed by pay pal buyer protection plan. i know i don't fish as much as alot of you guys but i wish i did. lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders 2010/11/02 23:00:37 (permalink)
    out of the 3 pairs of waders in my basement... these look the worst and work the best
    all the waders have the same neo booties... but it comes down to contruction

i have leaking seams with no visable issues
    these have the taping destroyed but keep me dry

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Waders 2010/11/03 08:48:23 (permalink)
    I have received good service from my $50.00 Hodgeman stocking foot waders (boot are extra) and see no need to spend extra $$ for something else. I have 5mm Cabela's (about $60.00) which are usually too warm! Prefer to spend my savings on other gear!
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Waders 2010/11/03 14:00:29 (permalink)
    Personally I would go with the guideline alta's or dee

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Waders 2010/11/03 14:10:00 (permalink)
    WOW. just looking at all the different waders people recommend should tell you something. It doesn't seem that one pair is that much better over another. Most people's decisions seem to be based not on pessonaly likes an dislikes. I personally have the 3mm stocking feet neo's from Cabela's and after 6 yrs of use, the **** seam finally gave way. They were too warm for summer fishing, but for the steelhead fishing in Erie, they were perfect.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Waders 2010/11/04 20:11:45 (permalink)
    I  used/purchased Orvis breathable waders about 2000-03 I went through 4 pairs. About 2003-04 I returned a pair of Orvis Silver Labels at that time they were around $180, asked for a refund and got one and bought a pair of Simms gore Tex lightweights they have lasted me since I never returned them and currently they are a back up pair. About 4 years ago I purchased a pair of Simms Guides. I have returned them for new booties, cost @$50 for that work. They still keep me dry. I also have a new Guide model I purchased while on close out.
    In my opinion the Simms Have been the bomb. I do fish about 100 days a year.
    I keep the in top condition by.
    Purchasing the right size.Use top quality wading boats.I never stand in the booties on bare ground when putting them on.I clean out my wading boats of sand before putting them on.Storing them never folded but by hanging.I dry them after every use, drying the inside out before the outside.Washing them once a year.Treating them with ReviveX once a year.And, never standing in them without my wading boats ON.When taking the waders off, never pull them, but work the waders off by easing them down your legs.

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Waders 2010/11/05 16:20:49 (permalink)
    i'd rather buy a new pair of waders every year for around a $100.00 knowing they will last me at least 1 year (they usually last longer) than buy a pair of $400.00 + waders that will leak eventualy within 4 years. this way i got a new pair every year.
    personally i have a few pairs. chest waders for float tubing i've had for at least 4 years.
    just got a new pair of breathable white river hip waders that fit better than any i have tried.
    got a pair of cabelas 3mm bootfoot hip waders for winter fishing, usually last at least a couple of years.
    and i fish a lot!!!!

also, i always wondered why aquaseal doesn't make waders????

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Waders 2010/11/05 19:55:06 (permalink)
    I'm a poor cheap ba$stard and have to use the Walmart Hodgeman $49.95 cheapie neoprenes..
    60-70 trips so far and not a leak....

If you want hip boots LaCrosse is the only way to go.
    I got 8 years out of my last pair, and retired them only beacuse the tread wore off..
    Will keep your feet warm all winter...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Waders 2010/11/05 22:53:29 (permalink)
    I second the lacrosse hip boots bings!
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Waders 2010/11/06 00:13:24 (permalink)
    I have basspro I think it's redhead hip waders and love them hadem for about 3 years and they spend time in the car in the summer and winter and no issues keep me warm in the winter and alittle too warm in the summer, but that's any wader. It's all honestly in prefrence, I know guys who have had the same "Gander Mtn special" $29.99 rubber waders for about 10 years now with no issues it's all in how you treat your gear is to how it will treat you.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Waders 2010/11/06 11:02:33 (permalink)
    A few years back, I bought the William Joseph V2 waders and matching boots. I had one problem immediately with the boots themselves(sole came off lol!) Sent them back and received a new pair. Have had no problems with the waders or boots ever again, knock on wood. Have had a few mishaps that involved me having to put a patch on but that is it... I used to do the buy a cheap pair every year but I got tired of that lol!

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    pintowin23
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Waders 2010/11/08 12:49:20 (permalink)
    simms are junk.  buy upgraded ll beans and it'll be the last pair you every buy, with the exception of return shipping for a fresh pair when they start leaking.
    pintowin23
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Waders 2010/11/10 23:41:53 (permalink)
    ana,

the majority of the people that I know wear simms don't fish as hard as they think.  they are too busy working to pay for them haha.

I put 5-6 solid days a week on a pair of the cheapest beans out there and they didn't leak for 2 years.  Taking care of your waders will shine through,  sometimes though, it is out of your hands... i.e. bad stitching.

my argument is, if you have a problem with simms, you send them back, have to wait for shipping/processing, and they usually REPAIR your waders.  LL Bean on the other hand, recycles those babies, and sends you back a brand new pair. 

my names Stew btw.. pleasure to be part of the convo here and welcomed with ease..  I fished beside a board member named Adam a few weeks ago in Erie.  Still trying to figure out who he is here.  He just said that he posted on fish erie forums, so I decided to join, and hopefully, in time, will meet up with a few of you.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: