Chestpack dilema

Author
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/21 12:39:45 (permalink)

Chestpack dilema

What are you guys using to haul all of your gear? I sold my last pack because it didn't fit right. Right now I am just using a back pack but it is a pain. It was suggested to get a back pack with D rings on the strap and put a Fishpond Blue River chest pack on the front via the D rings. Problem is finding a decent sized(1000-1500cu in.) water proof back pack with the D rings convenient. The idea is to put a http://www.fishpondusa.com/blueriver.cfm with a http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-stormfront-waterproof-pack?p=49152-0-950 but that pack is so expensive but the right one. Any ideas?

10 Replies Related Threads

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/21 12:45:44 (permalink)
    I have a columbia wading jacket that holds everything I need, 2 big fly box pockets, and plenty of other storage pockets, if I need to take 3 or more boxes I will throw the rest in the pockets of my waders.  I use this any time temps aren't to warm to wear it.  When its too warm I'm wet wading and have a shirt with the same kind of storage so I wear that.  If I need to pack more I have a backpack with a chestpack attached, and for hauling things in to camp I have a llbean backpack that holds all my fishing gear and whatever else I may need.

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/21 15:03:45 (permalink)
    I've been using one of these for several years now and couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.chapmanbags.com/ChapmanBagsSite/product/Fishing/NNC16.htm

I can carry everything I could in my Orvis Super Tac-L-Pac plus some and no sore back. Practically waterproof, unless you dip it into the water and the flap is open.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/25 16:16:52 (permalink)
    Filson Foul weather vest. It is a strap vest, so two main pockets up front (just right for a C&F waterproof box on each side), 4 tiny accessory pockets on the front of those two pockets (3 spools of tippet fit just right in one, shot in one, loon indicator putty and hard indicators in one, and mucelin in the last), and a fly patch. On the back is a zipper backpack with a small secondary pocket. It is all waxed cotton and the metal is all brass. I've used mine in lakes and streams, fresh and salt water for about 10 years now. Its been on on the water at least 500 days and the only two marks are (1) a light blue corrosion on the brass where I left a strap wet and put it all away, and (2) a tiny spot of rust in the left shoulder strap where my hemostats are permanently clamped.

When this one wears out in another 15-20 years I'll buy another one.

Thanks
    Rick
    Sleepy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/25 19:21:53 (permalink)
    Casts,

I have the same filson pack and love it. Its a bit expensive, but well worth it. Sometimes you can find some filson gear on some discount sites for a little cheaper.

Sleepy
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/26 10:05:41 (permalink)
    Wow, we didn't know that we needed to be suited up like a paratrooper just to fish.

No wonder we can't catch anything, not enough room in our wicker creel for the toyz. (are the old dayz gone?)

Glad we left the WalMart bagz at home.

Yes, we are still here!
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/26 12:33:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BorgCollective

Wow, we didn't know that we needed to be suited up like a paratrooper just to fish.

No wonder we can't catch anything, not enough room in our wicker creel for the toyz. (are the old dayz gone?)

Glad we left the WalMart bagz at home.

Thanks for all the insight duud . Keep your walmart bags in the project water, don't need to hold alot when your 5 feet away from your car I suppose.
    hookmeup
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/26 15:05:51 (permalink)
    Anyway, the slings are the way I've gone last year too. I'm into minimal gear these days. Looks like Orvis has "new and improved" that sling I got already.
    16onmealies
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/26 15:35:52 (permalink)
    i been using the same eagle claw vest my wife got me for xmas 9 years ago.  she got a few rips, but holds up like carnhart.  wife just throws it in the washer. cleans her right up.
    post edited by 16onmealies - 2010/10/26 15:37:37
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/26 20:59:23 (permalink)
    I've been using the original Orvis Safe Passage since 03'. Every year I look at something new, but I still stay with the Orvis. You can get 2 fly boxes in each side chest pocket. The back also has a large and small compartment. This baby really does hold all you'll need. Over the years I've disliked Orvis waders more and more, but their chest pack is the t++ts.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    phatsteelheader
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Chestpack dilema 2010/10/27 21:18:34 (permalink)
    I have had the same strap vest for over 15 years. it ripped on the front called Filson they said send it to them and they will try to fix it 2 weeks later brand new vest in my mail box.  Thats customer service.  I miss the old one spent a lot of time with that vest fishing all over the great USA.

ORIGINAL: Sleepy

Casts,

I have the same filson pack and love it. Its a bit expensive, but well worth it. Sometimes you can find some filson gear on some discount sites for a little cheaper.

Sleepy
    Jump to: