How do I lower my speed for trolling?

Author
JKB
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/14 19:20:54 (permalink)

How do I lower my speed for trolling?

Just found this forum and I'm hoping some of you may know of an easy (or cheap) way to drop the boat speed. It's a new Tracker Pro 16 bass boat that will be used almost exclusively in Central Arkansas - which means mostly rivers or Greers Ferry Lake. It has a 4 stroke 30 HP merc, and at slow idle the boat moves from 3.4 to 3.7 MPH (per the GPS). I've got an electric trolling motor on the bow, but it's kinda nerve-wracking to try to really "troll" by using the foot steering while perched on the pedestal seat up front - and I can't see the rods that way....

So what's the best way to drop the speed down to the 1 to 3 MPH range? I'd hate to buy a second trolling motor and those "sea anchor" like bags look to be sure to wrap around the prop. I read that the drop-down plate that goes behind the prop tears up pretty fast - so what's left? Sure would appreciate any ideas.

21 Replies Related Threads

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 19:32:34 (permalink)
    Trolling bags are the way to go tie them to a mid point on your boat off each side, mid cleats if you have them, and put enough rope on them so the back of the bag is even with the transom, 2 small bags 18-22" should work for you. If you want to go cheaper throw some 5 gallon buckets off the sides that will slow you down but they are a pain with handles breaking etc. bags are what 99% of Erie guys use who do not have kicker motors.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 19:33:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

Trolling bags are the way to go tie them to a mid point on your boat off each side, mid cleats if you have them, and put enough rope on them so the back of the bag is even with the transom, 2 small bags 18-22" should work for you. If you want to go cheaper throw some 5 gallon buckets off the sides that will slow you down but they are a pain with handles breaking etc. bags are what 99% of Erie guys use who do not have kicker motors.

Ditto

eyegore
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 20:26:06 (permalink)
    You may want to try back trolling or you can  trim your motor up so there is less "bite" with the prop.  If you want to try the "bags" you may want to tie one off from the bow and let it go under the boat from there.  That way it will be farther away from the prop.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 20:55:13 (permalink)
    My trolling plate works fine. It's made out of aluminum with some stainless steele hardware. My low idle speed is 4-5 mph and with the plate i can go as slow as 1.2 mph. This is witha 21 footer V8. I'm thinking most of the problems with trolling plates are usually mechanical, that is why you use plenty of jacks lube ( underwater grease ) on all of the moving parts. I'm thinking I didnt pay much more that $100 for the setup.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 22:55:25 (permalink)
    I can vouch for BH's trolling plate....rode b4 and after.....works really good. Much more accurate than depending on wind for a "bag/sock". The plate kicks arse duud....Just an opinion.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 23:34:01 (permalink)
    I actually run a drift sock straight out the back and have never had a problem. Had steering difficulties when mounted on front side cleats but reading above replies, I may not have had ropes long enough. A pain off the back netting fish, but have long net!

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/14 23:59:11 (permalink)
    If you have a 14p prop change to an 8 or 10p
    Be careful not to over rev engine

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 00:04:43 (permalink)
    I use trolling bags (drift socks) They work great. They do get in the way of landing fish on side of boat, but we deal with it. You should NOT have any steering problems if the bags are the same size and same length rope.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 07:22:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gizmos

I actually run a drift sock straight out the back and have never had a problem. Had steering difficulties when mounted on front side cleats but reading above replies, I may not have had ropes long enough. A pain off the back netting fish, but have long net!

2 bags one on each side and it is actually easier to steer the boat, 1 bag is a pita. And make sure you use actual trolling bags not drift socks they are deigned a bit different.

Only experience I have had with trolling plates is it makes the boat much harder to steer they work but bags are more versatile for different speeds in different conditions. I have 3 different sets of bags depending on the speed range I am looking for.

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 08:18:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

ORIGINAL: gizmos

2 bags one on each side and it is actually easier to steer the boat, 1 bag is a pita. And make sure you use actual trolling bags not drift socks they are deigned a bit different.

Only experience I have had with trolling plates is it makes the boat much harder to steer they work but bags are more versatile for different speeds in different conditions. I have 3 different sets of bags depending on the speed range I am looking for.

Have 2 trolling bags, tied everywhere on the boat and I looked like a drunk monkey tryin to run a straight line. Although now I think if I lenghthen the lead I may be ok. Was runnin bout a 4' rope. Think I'll try the front sleats again and position then closer to the transom. Was quite the arobic work out on short leads, even with one out each side. Live and learn(I hope !)

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 09:57:20 (permalink)
    Yep, longer leads on the bags will get you where you want to be.

To the OP, I find it weird that with only a 30hp on a 16' boat that sounds like a substantial rig, he can only get down to mid to high 3's? Can you lower the idle any or re-prop as Marty suggested? I would think you should be able to get down to 1.5 or so if you set up the 30 hp a little differently. Or, you could always get a transom mount 40# to 55# thrust electric and another battery or two. A lot stealthier and cheaper than a gas kicker.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 12:18:20 (permalink)
    not trying to make any one sound stupid but can you back off the idle adjustment down. 

10% Of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish..... IT AIN'T LUCK
    JKB
    New Angler
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 15:11:35 (permalink)
    The dealer says that the idle is controlled by the computer on these 4 strokes and he recommends against changing the prop pitch. That leaves either the bags or the metal plate. Seems like the plate would be easier for a single-hander to work with - especially someone as old and fat as me. Reading the comments on the Cabela's site makes me lean toward the EasyTroller, but I sure am wrong frequently. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/15 15:31:28 (permalink)
    Bags are the way to go...for your 16 two 24" bags should do the trick. Your bags should be properly mounted/drifted for trolling...one rope towards the front attached to the open end of bag and about midway on your boat cleat and one loose rope connected towards the rear of the boat and to the tapered end of the bag. this rope allows you to easily pull your bags out of the water...While trolling, the tapered part of your bag should almost be flush with the back of your boat. If you have trouble steering, you have them mounted wrong.

Before you do that though, you may want try adjusting your idle....3.5 to 3.7 seems a little fast for that motor.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/09/15 15:37:40
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/16 07:44:11 (permalink)
    Before you start to play withthe idle, tell us what your idle RPM's currently run at?

Just out of curiosity, what are the full throttle RPM's?

Now, humor me on this question...you say you troll rivers...are you trolling with or against the current???

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    JKB
    New Angler
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/16 22:07:55 (permalink)
    I used the bow mounted electric trolling motor in slack water areas of the Arkansas River. In the channel I just power upriver and drift down while fishing. No ideas about the RPM - cheap boat with no gauges. Mounted my own GPS to get speed readings.
    eriewalleye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/16 22:53:54 (permalink)
    I used a Happy Troller plate on my I.O. for 15years and it worked very well. I have since installed a 9.9 kicker to save on fuel, but I was very happy with the performance of the trolling plate.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/23 15:11:44 (permalink)
    I've got sereral sets for sale if you'd like to try trolling bags. Amish made, not boat cover materail like the other guys either.. PM if interested.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/23 15:12:50 (permalink)
    I've got several sets for sale if you're interested. Amish made, heavier duty than the other guys, and a little cheaper too. PM if interested..

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    JKB
    New Angler
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/24 12:41:38 (permalink)
    Unless I drag one just behind the stern, I don't think the 'chutes would work on my rig. I took Canon's advice for bass boats and mounted the downrigger in front of the side steering console. That pretty well uses up the starboard side, and I don't think the boat would steer well with a drag on the port side only. Which brings me to the EasyTroller. The "Short" model is on sale at a few places for $100 without fins. Most of the reviews and opinions I've seen are very positive so I think that's the path I'm taking. Might wait till Spring - or maybe not. Thanks for all the replies - lots to chew on.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: How do I lower my speed for trolling? 2010/09/24 12:58:41 (permalink)
    2 bags off the sides, nothing to chew on.

Jump to: