Lake Erie Tour ===

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/26 19:55:03 (permalink)

Lake Erie Tour ===

well it's 7:45pm and intead of catching perch ---- I am on my computer.. soo.....

Yep --the winds had the lake to rough and the trip got cancelled..
third time for my two buddies to get cancelled this week... BUMMER !!

The day was not lost though, knowing I do not go to or know Erie they decided to show me the fishing sites ... I enjoyed it very much..

Now I have my own idea of what some of the places you guys all talk about are...

we explored....

I hope I have the names right..

the BOC bait store

Poor Richard's... and yes he got money from each of us

Walnut access area... and yes even saw my 1st live and swimming steelhead there...

Trout Run ??? ... they explained about the fishing only at the mouth and the "50 yard rule" .. and sure enough there were over a hundred small trout swimming around in the run itself... COOL !!!!

We definitely could see why there were no boats out on the lake -- white-caps everywhere !!!

They showed me Elk Run..

and talked about Godfrey ...

The stories they shared about their steelhead trips and fightin' steelheads were enjoyable but as I guess is the case with anyone that does that type fishing it was not long before the "ugly" stories started too...

I did not hesitate to tell them that's the #1 reason I have not got interested in the elbow to elbow steelhead fishing scene at Erie... I'd rather sit home and read about it than experience it myself...

so I do NOT think they made a steelhead fisherman out of me -- although I did enjoy the day..

and as small as those "runs" were I think I'd love to see them with hundreds of BIG fish in them... so who knows ... maybe ONE trip....

finally --- the Black Angus Wraps at McDee's were super !!!!

Anyone try those 2# sandwiches for around $7.00 we saw a sign for on route #5 ?????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/26 19:58:26

12 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 20:20:53 (permalink)
    Trout, its really not all THAT bad as long as you learn to pick and choose your days and the areas you fish wisely. If I were you, I would certainly make an effort to try it once so that you can make a solid judgement for yourself. With that said, my favorite time to fish is during the winter months when there is less pressure even though the fish are more lathargic. Those fall fish, fresh out of the lake, truely battle hard and is something to experience for sure. Even if it is only once, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be back for more. Its really all what you make of it...among the crowds of fishermen, I have met and made friends with some exceptional people.

Theresa's Deli = excellent BIG sandwiches!
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 20:33:14 (permalink)
    Theresa's Deli = YEP that was the name.. I remember now.... can one person eat one ??? LOL

I was tempted to ask them to stop and bring one home ...

I'll bet you may be right on the at least once.. they did make it sound like fun and yes they mentioned they go later in the season and during the week.. not week-ends..

plus John said he goes to some out of the way places on those streams (especially Elk) where some days he has it all to himself, he made it sound like he was miles from the mouths at those type places though and talked about long walks to get to the spots ?????

Are those "runs" really that shallow ???? or is the water level going to come up ??

I envisioned fishing in waist deep water .... what I saw today was MAYBE waist deep in the holes ?????
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 20:46:48 (permalink)
    What you saw typically does not reflect the water levels during the late fall and winter months. The streams are really low this time of year. However, there are highs and lows then too and I watch the stream guages and forecast(rain) very closely. They usually determine whether I'm going to fish the streams or not, although I do have some alternatives just in case If your friends like to fish later in the season and on weekdays, you're golden. If you plan on going then, just be prepared with lots of layers because it gets pretty cold. If you have any other Qs, feel free to PM.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 20:50:37 (permalink)
    I sent you an email Doc

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 20:55:15 (permalink)
    Walnut is at 10cfs (cubic feet per second) and has a gage height of 3.38'. In the fall I like flows of 80-150cfs and a gage height of around 4.5'. So when I like it, it will be a foot higher and have 8-15 times the volume of water it has now. The shale bottoms on the tribs are not conducive to retaining water, they run off very quickly. Once the leaves drop and the trees/vegetation quit drinking it is easier for the creeks to hold more water.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 21:08:41 (permalink)
    Essox... I did notice the shale bottom at walnut, interesting they don't help hold water... and where we were standing at one point I could image a nice "drop-off" if the water was deeper, in fact that is where the one steelie was swiming around..

I must tell of one thing we saw at Trout run.. an elderly couple (probably 80s) sitting on the beach next to each other and just watching out over the lake... I thought it was so cute....

I'd have taken a picture but the wind was blowing and it may have got out of focus .... LOL LOL LOL..... just had to say it !!!!!!!! actually I forgot the camera at home...

John bought ANOTHER "noddle rod" at Poor Richards for this coming season $29.95.. not to bad of a price... I THINK ?????

I bought some things to try on the Clarion

Thanks for the info guys....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/26 21:09:53
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/26 21:25:32 (permalink)
    got the E-mail slickfish.. Thanks
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/27 07:36:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

it was not long before the "ugly" stories started too...

Our crew has more good stories than bad, actually more good stories than we can count. Remember, it is what you make of it.

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I did not hesitate to tell them that's the #1 reason I have not got interested in the elbow to elbow steelhead fishing scene at Erie... I'd rather sit home and read about it than experience it myself...

Sorry to read this kind of take on the steelhead fishing...

I personally will not fish if it's elbow to elbow. The only response I can think of is "location, location, location".

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

KilDux
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/27 07:40:29 (permalink)
    Those white caps have been pretty common this year.  In Erie we don't call that rough... we call it "walleye chop"!  In all seriousness, I do better on choppy days (1-3's) than on a flat lake.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/27 09:04:38 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout you should come to the "One Fly"!  Chance to meet some really nice folks, and one grumpy one!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/27 09:13:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Dr. Trout you should come to the "One Fly"!  Chance to meet some really nice folks, and one grumpy one!

I didn't know harry pelles was gonna be able to make it!
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Erie Tour === 2010/08/27 09:44:08 (permalink)
    I'm not sure just how "choppy" the lake was, the guy at poor richards said there was a small craft warning and 4 to 5 footers....

I just know it looked bad to the three of us and we were glad we were not out there..

indsquiz.. thanks for the invite but I'd better pass on that, I'm sure there will we some great guys there that I would love to meet and I know from reading the thread here there's a few going I have no intentions of ever meeting....

but enjoy yourself it sounds like a great time..
    Jump to: