Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ddubs3
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/26 13:48:53 (permalink)

20 HP Limit

What are the odds of getting fined for running a 25 HP there?

33 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9693
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 13:55:47 (permalink)
    According to this site, they had some sort of sting operation a few years ago on Arthur.

There are boats running 40+hp with 20 stickers every time I'm out, especially during the bass tourneys.  Also saw a guy trolling with his 100+hp or what ever it was, big motor the last time out...  Not sure if he attempted running it from one place to the next.
    Do what he did and have a 9.9 kicker in the water next to it... 

Not sure why the limit isn't 25, since that is what most makes have in that size range.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 14:38:36 (permalink)
    25 should be for Pymy and Wilhelm too

darn Fish Gestapos
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 18:58:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ddubs3

What are the odds of getting fined for running a 25 HP there?

none if youre fishing a tourney. other than that if youre not stupid youre pretty safe with your 25.

if youre running a 30-40 full bore like most guys do youd think theres a good chance...however, i havent heard of any issues. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 21:18:33 (permalink)
    it depends if freddy the fish cop is out patrolling. I had my pontoon completely searched on July 4th weekend just be cause we drove past the fish cops that were anchored in the middle of the lake.

The boat was fine, but in my excitement over the bought I just bought, I forgot to get my wife her fishing license. There went $180.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 21:30:06 (permalink)
    ouch. did they check your motor? just askin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 23:19:29 (permalink)
    he checked everything.

their budgeting is going down and they need money any where they can get it. No one gets out of a ticket these days.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 23:29:47 (permalink)
    just curious about the motor of an average joe because theyll never check a tourney motor/shut down a tourney. just sayin'

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 23:33:26 (permalink)
    The 150hp got us in safe and sound before at Arthur before, we weren't messin with the storm brewin......lol
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/26 23:37:37 (permalink)
    pulling into the dock at arthur with the waves crashing in from a full-bored 150(not that you were doing that) would be hilarious. maybe plead you didnt know there was a limit.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 00:02:05 (permalink)
    Our 2 options at 1am with winds stirring and storms getting ugly: 1. run the 9.9 at 6-7mph from almost at the old 422 launch back to Bear Run 2. Run the 150 back at a "cruise" (30-35mph) speed to get the heck outta there. We chose the latter....
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 00:03:35 (permalink)
    woulda done the exact same thing.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6358
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 08:36:18 (permalink)
    Oddly enough I have a smaller boat that will really fly with a 20 hp, and my cargo canoe (square stern) will do about 30 with a 7.5.  Maybe you should just get a smaller boat for the smaller/restricted lakes?  Oh wait, I forgot, then you won't have room for fish finders, downriggers, out riggers, stereos, 2 coolers, 4 guys and be able to troll 8 poles.  MY point is size your boat and adjust your technique to the body of water.  I'd never go out (far) on L. Erie in my boat or canoe, I  stay in the bay.  And Please don't use the excuse about the expense of buying a smaller boat.  The gas you would save in towing would make up for it in a year.  What's that you say? Then they wouldn't be able to hold bass tourneys on the lake?  Or have boats full of 6 amish?  Wow, there are a couple of real losses.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 08:48:51 (permalink)
    I'm not sure that there is a solution out there that will satisfy all parties. I'm okay with the restrictions the way they are.

You could go to unlimited horsepower and make no wake zones and enforce speed limits. Although this would be too hard to enforce and open the lake to pleasure boaters, jet ski's, speed boats, etc.

Of course there is nothing wrong with these types of boaters... But I don't feel that Moraine is capable of supporting the increased boat traffic, while maintaining it's quiet appeal to fisherman and recreational boaters.

Once again there will be people looking to push the envelope, same as now. Make the max h.p 20 and alot of guys run 25-30 h.p. engines. Before w/ the 9.9 h.p. max, alot of guys running 15 & 20 h.p.

Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 09:03:15 (permalink)
    Ok this maybe a big myth but i just figured i would chime in. I heard the reason they wont go any higher than 20HP is because of jet ski's. I guess at 25hp certian jet ski's would be permited. I have no idea what the ratings on those are but i just figured i would throw that out there.

Anyway i have a G3 Eagle 165 with a yamaha 20hp 4-stroke on it. This is a 16.5' boat so its a fairly large boat for a 20hp It dont run to bad at all with a 8 pitch stainless prop on it. When im by myself it will get on plane almost instantly and do about 18mph. Plenty fast enough for me to get around. However the crappy part of it is that with 2 guys it sometimes has a hard time getting up on plane, some times it does but alot of the times it dont. It still runs at 10MPH which is ok for me but it would be nice to get up on plane all the time. If the laws would permit 25hp that would be awesome because the is the min recomended motor for my boat. With that being siad i know my boat would be able to get up on plane all the time and it would just be more enjoyable. But if jet ski's would be alowed i would much rather just keep my 20hp lol.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 09:24:05 (permalink)
    Funniest thing I saw a few yrs back was a guy firing up his 9.9 (most likely juiced to 15 hp by his speed) on Tamarack one day.  He regretted it when he slammed into a stump and did his prop in.  We were on the other side of the lake in my canoe.  He got back in with his trolling motor but man, some people.

I wished they would have went to 25 hp just to open it up to more options for boaters but I am ok with the way things are.  Don't understand the jet ski explanation though.  PWC's and water skiing can always be excluded from any lake with regulations, regardless of HP ratings. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 09:37:05 (permalink)
    I saw a guy on Kahle fire up the outboard. Also have seen the PFBC with a 40 or 50 horse on Kahle but I suspect they were doing trapnetting at the time and need the power to run back and forth but the very motion that they can use whatever HP they want bugs me.

The PFBC at the Espyville Marina have a big ole motor on the commission boat...looked like a 75? Anyone see this docked at the marina? boat appeared to be a Grady White

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 09:51:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lovgren69
    Of course there is nothing wrong with these types of boaters... But I don't feel that Moraine is capable of supporting the increased boat traffic, while maintaining it's quiet appeal to fisherman and recreational boaters.

This is exactly why it isn't a "no wake" lake IMO.  This lake is jammed packed on nice Summer weekends.  I couldn't imagine it with twice as many boats on it. 

I personally wouldn't buy a 25hp, although I have given it thought.  Like said, the PFBC is in a huge need of cash.  With their ability to make cash (ticketting violations), I wouldn't doubt they are repremanded for giving warnings instead of tickets.  I'm guessing in 5 years when the economy is completely stabilized (hopefully sooner), running a 25hp will be an excepted "look the other way" by the WCOs.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 09:56:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

I saw a guy on Kahle fire up the outboard. Also have seen the PFBC with a 40 or 50 horse on Kahle but I suspect they were doing trapnetting at the time and need the power to run back and forth but the very motion that they can use whatever HP they want bugs me.

The PFBC at the Espyville Marina have a big ole motor on the commission boat...looked like a 75? Anyone see this docked at the marina? boat appeared to be a Grady White

Seriously?  They are law enforcement.  Not that our lakes are full of criminals, but they should have a boat that can at least keep up with half of the bass boats other motor...  They also serve as the lake's first responders to accidents.  If some idiot runs into a boat full of kids, I wouldn't mind a 90hp boat cruising up to rescue and get to a dock with an awaiting ambulance in 1/4 the time of most boats can.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 11:47:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

Seriously?  They are law enforcement.  Not that our lakes are full of criminals, but they should have a boat that can at least keep up with half of the bass boats other motor...  They also serve as the lake's first responders to accidents.  If some idiot runs into a boat full of kids, I wouldn't mind a 90hp boat cruising up to rescue and get to a dock with an awaiting ambulance in 1/4 the time of most boats can.

Same here.  I wouldn't complain if they had a 27' Contender with trip 250's on it...  well, maybe since they are in such a bind for $ but, sure would be fun riding around pymy on that! 
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/27 12:24:14 (permalink)
    Lets limit the PaFBC to 20 horsepower...and at the same time make the State Police run Ford Focus cars to chase criminals! - I agree with Porktown.

About the "no wake zone" stuff...get real...does any boat operator actually read and OBEY the no-wake rules???
    It people actually followed the rule on Moraine on a busy day, they would never be able to "get on plane"!!!
    Within "100' of shore, docks or launch ramps...no wake"
    Within "100' of moored or anchored boats...no wake"
    Within "100' of drifting boats...no wake"

Ever see the sign that has "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE" painted on it?
    post edited by Erie Mako - 2010/08/27 16:05:13

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Lundking
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/28 15:40:30 (permalink)
    Ive seen some boys at Pymatuning trolling with their 250 verado. The water should be like roads, there should be a SPEED LIMIT

Save a horse, ride a Lund

Friends don't let Friends fish for Trout (Stockies that is..)

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/28 16:49:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

does any boat operator actually read and OBEY the no-wake rules???

I do!  Let's face it, if people had dignity and self respect, there would be no need for HP rules.
    porter64
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/28 23:22:04 (permalink)
    Yeah I agree, speed limit, but other people would ruin it
    !!!
    cutter702000
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/29 21:07:28 (permalink)
    Imagine how the sailboaters would cry.  I've seen them run over marker buoys and drag them down the lake out of what had to be spite.  I think that the public is so used to horsepower restrictions on the lake that some people (sailors for example) would pitch such a fit that unlimited power would never fly.

If you kill a man, you're a murderer.... Kill many, you're a conqueror..... Kill them all, and you're a god.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/30 08:32:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

Lets limit the PaFBC to 20 horsepower...and at the same time make the State Police run Ford Focus cars to chase criminals! - I agree with Porktown.

About the "no wake zone" stuff...get real...does any boat operator actually read and OBEY the no-wake rules???
    It people actually followed the rule on Moraine on a busy day, they would never be able to "get on plane"!!!
    Within "100' of shore, docks or launch ramps...no wake"
    Within "100' of moored or anchored boats...no wake"
    Within "100' of drifting boats...no wake"

Ever see the sign that has "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE" painted on it?

The 9.9 on my 17' only allows me to go at a speed that is considered "no-wake" on most waters...  I try my best to go about half throttle when I am passing within 100' of anyone, including shore fishermen.  4 mph isn't all that much different than 8 mph any way... 
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/08/30 13:51:28 (permalink)
    moraine has an air boat that i am sure can respond to any accidents in a hurry
    and i agree it is the power hogs that ruin it for others zipping around the lake
    my goal is to fish not buzz around a lake having the wind part what lil hair i have getting from spot to spot.If ya don't like the rules quit fishing or fish the rivers. just my two cents

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    gusgus637
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/09/01 14:30:55 (permalink)
    I dont know what you guys think, but my 20hp boat makes a bigger wake than my big boat with a 200hp on plane.  So yea, i really dont get it.  I think a speed limit, or no wake is the way to go.  The biggest problem with this stupid 20hp rule is what it does to unlimted lakes on a weekend.  You all know what i am talking about.  I live in Slippery Rock and within a reasonable drive i can take my big boat to Shanango, Conneaut, or East Brady.  During the summer its next to imposible to fish due to traffic.  If you open up Wilhelm, Pymatuning, and Arthur that would free up a lot of space im sure. 

I hope the people that decided to limit Pymatuning back in the day feel really good about what that did.  How many people have died or almost died on that lake when a storms kicks up because they couldnt get off in time. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/09/01 14:39:38 (permalink)
    how is the boating at East Brady? I've never realized you could down there..as we always go to Piney Dam in Clarion, so East Brady would be closer for us than Tionesta Lake
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: 20 HP Limit 2010/09/03 09:47:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gusgus637

I dont know what you guys think, but my 20hp boat makes a bigger wake than my big boat with a 200hp on plane.  So yea, i really dont get it.  I think a speed limit, or no wake is the way to go.  The biggest problem with this stupid 20hp rule is what it does to unlimted lakes on a weekend.  You all know what i am talking about.  I live in Slippery Rock and within a reasonable drive i can take my big boat to Shanango, Conneaut, or East Brady.  During the summer its next to imposible to fish due to traffic.  If you open up Wilhelm, Pymatuning, and Arthur that would free up a lot of space im sure. 

I hope the people that decided to limit Pymatuning back in the day feel really good about what that did.  How many people have died or almost died on that lake when a storms kicks up because they couldnt get off in time. 

Those tax payers with smaller or unpowered boats, should and do have the right to launch their boats in waters without fearing for their lives.  Like all laws / resrictions, the general public has given our government beyond resonable proof that more than half of us lack common sense (not directed at you).  You may follow a speed limit, but very highly doubt that everyone is as responsible.  Tell the truth, do any of the unrestricted lakes above, have 1/4 of the sail boats, kayaks or small motor boats on it as Moraine or Pymy?  Where do these guys go when we start allowing guys doing 40mph?

As for getting off the lake...  If you are caught in a storm that bad, you likely practiced "just one more cast" a few too many times.  If it is that bad, getting to the closest shore (including islands) at the widest portion of the lake is still less than a mile.  Do you really need to try to make it back to your car when the sky opens up?  I grew up with a scanoe powered by a 2hp motor.  I waited out many storms on the shores of islands or misc. shore lines.  Yeah, if you have another motor on the back, I see no issue with dropping in emergencies, but Pymie is not Erie.  It's pretty big, but nothing that you can't reach some sort of land, in less than 10 minutes in just about any powered vessle. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: