drilling rig water

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hoch999
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points: 0
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 18:18:14 (permalink)
one more thing, just remember, so much water is pulled from the colorado river, it no longer emptys in the ocean
TheUntangler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 19:50:09 (permalink)
Most water in southwest that is being pumped is for Marcellus and SW PA is booming. Check out the DEP Oil&Gas page for more info (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/oilgas/2010%20Wells%20Drilled%20by%20County.htm), about 60 Marcellus wells to date. Each well requires between 2 to 5 million gallons with little recovery. They are limited during low flow but who is counting every truck???

TheUntangler
Troutboy02
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 20:27:50 (permalink)
From the article found here...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_696233.html

"Some early indicators from about a year's worth of detailed readings show more evidence of salt, a sign of the shale drilling industry, said researchers at West Virginia and the University of Pittsburgh. The change in the Youghiogheny River tributary has been especially dramatic, said Paul Ziemkiewicz, director of the West Virginia Water Research Institute.

That river historically was low in TDS, mostly from calcium sulfate, the signature chemical of mine drainage, he said. But readings since January show the number doubled, primarily from salt, sodium chloride.

"Something is dumping a lot of sodium chloride in the water. Where that's coming from, I don't know. But one might suggest (gas drilling wastewater) was getting into the Yough," Ziemkiewicz said. "I think if we ... don't get a grip on fluid disposal, we could have some serious problems."

Let's see...what has come to SWPA in recent years that could cause a jump in the levels mentioned?
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1052
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 20:45:34 (permalink)
I agree that this cannot be good for our waterways, But lets not act like no progress is being made. More and more drillers are using settling ponds and centrifuges to recover the drilling fluid so they can reuse it. That is where the huge usage is. The fracking process doesn't use nearly as much water, but it contains the most harmful chemicals, like salt. I don't believe that they recover a large portion of that fluid, but I don't know for sure.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
71gto
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 20:49:23 (permalink)
All I know is for 30 years, never had a problem with my well water, until all the drilling started. No one wants to take responsibility for my well and neighbors problems. The drillers will not return my phone calls, my state politicians give me lip service. I can't get NO SATISFACTION!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 21:52:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Troutboy02

From the article found here...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_696233.html

"Some early indicators from about a year's worth of detailed readings show more evidence of salt, a sign of the shale drilling industry, said researchers at West Virginia and the University of Pittsburgh. The change in the Youghiogheny River tributary has been especially dramatic, said Paul Ziemkiewicz, director of the West Virginia Water Research Institute.

That river historically was low in TDS, mostly from calcium sulfate, the signature chemical of mine drainage, he said. But readings since January show the number doubled, primarily from salt, sodium chloride.

"Something is dumping a lot of sodium chloride in the water. Where that's coming from, I don't know. But one might suggest (gas drilling wastewater) was getting into the Yough," Ziemkiewicz said. "I think if we ... don't get a grip on fluid disposal, we could have some serious problems."

Let's see...what has come to SWPA in recent years that could cause a jump in the levels mentioned?

Isn't the raised salinity of the water in Dunkard the cause for the yellow algae bloom that killed the fish?

MUSKYJUNKY
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/24 22:07:11 (permalink)
Yes golden algae is a form of algae that can only take form in salty brackish water the acid mine drainage in Dunkard creek didn't help either I used to musky fish that creek 3 or 4 times a week what a shame

Figure 8
Fishken
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/25 13:03:42 (permalink)
Hi class is right 1st h2o was taken from smaller creeks & such pumped to holding ponds(2008), snice then they have been taking h2o from larger sources,seen a fire hydrant open for them to use(2010)They are making progress with their methods.Agreed that the DPE & state need to closely monitor methods & sources. there is much gas to be had,many jobs created & more to come.It a big boost for PA revenew & help to lower gas prices.More gas,less coal good or bad?But we all like to be warm so they are going to keep drilling & hopefuly learn & keep refining methods & regulations
fryem
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/25 14:47:20 (permalink)
Here is a couple of links to look at on you tube There are plenty of them just spend some and look at them. Southwest pa is the next Dish Texas and will have all the same problems seen in the barnett shale drilling with hydr. fracing.

Here is one of my hunting buddies Ron Gulla discussing his farm and the second Terry Greenwood That Ron mentions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffsF-rNla5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI_81WwSLbM&feature=related 
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: drilling rig water 2010/08/25 14:51:24 (permalink)
"It a big boost for PA revenew & help to lower gas prices"

Dominion must have missed the memo on lowering the price of gas.

You do realize, that the gas companies are mixing lower BTU coal methane with your natural gas so that you get less bang for your buck?

I feel so bad for them, with all the hippie organizations picking on them.

WWTRD?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: