Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jiggerman41
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/10 18:43:04 (permalink)

Things that make you go Hmmmmm

One time while fishing manchester hole,before i realized that there were other places to go besides walnut creek,a man was fishing with his son.They both had ultra light ugly sticks and were casting spoons.The son who was no older than 10 then hooks a fish.Everyone reels their poles in to give the kid time to fight the fish.As the fish swims by everyone we see that the fish is hooked in the tail.Everyone tells the father that it is foul hooked but the father has everyone on ignore and tells his son to reel that thing in.After 10 minutes of trying to fight the fish with an ultra light reel everyone is getting upset because the fish is running up and down the length of manchester hole.The kid would almost have it reeled in and the fish would take off again.5 minutes later,thankfully,his line broke and everyone could start fishing again.I think the father felt the heat and him and his son left.anyone else have a story to share.

30 Replies Related Threads

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 19:36:58 (permalink)
    One time, I went to this creek and this kid was runnin up and down it yelling "SNAGGER,S SNAGGERS, call the fish commisioner". I said, " Get away from me kid ".
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 20:53:04 (permalink)
    Step Dad and I were at Elk Creek, my step dad hooks a steelie and as he is landing the fish, some guy who is walking upstream decides to take my step dads spot...I said what are you doing just walking up and taking his spot when you see us here and the older gent got ****ed... c'mon man
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 21:45:35 (permalink)
    This one time...
    at band camp...my friend said "I like your flute" I said "thanks" It was awesome.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 21:55:31 (permalink)
    i know a secret down at uncle toms cabin

I have become comfortably numb
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 22:37:56 (permalink)
    Dogs are like kids. You love them and think they are the Greatest! But most other people don't think so. I was at Elk Crick access years ago and this guy brings his lab with him. We are on the opposite side of the wall. The dog is running up and down all around us and trying to get at the fish when we reeled in. "VERY ANNOYING" I thought would this guy think it was ok for someone to have a litte kid doing the same thing?

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/10 23:21:04 (permalink)
    2 years ago I had my dad up for his first time trib fishin, and we're on upper elk and this dude sees that my dad is fishing a nice sized group of fish, and starts drifting within 15 feet of him. Nobody but me, my dad, and this jag in sight and he's fishin out of my dad's back pocket. Not long after, my dad just got away from him and moved down to me to let me know what was going on.

I told him to just fish the pod I was on and went up and got about a drift and a half above this guy and as the fish slowly moved up, he edged up to within ten feet of me but I didn't move. He tried talking to me, asking how I was going, what I was using, and where I was from but I just ignored him. Eventually I think I creeped him out and he headed back toward my dad, then on downstream.

When My dad got back up to me he said that the guy had asked him, "I tried to talk to your buddy up there. Is he deaf?"

My dad just answered, "Ah, he has problems sometimes."

And the guy apparently took that at face value and left.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/11 09:04:31 (permalink)
    I walked up into the woodline to relieve myself once and some idiot took my spot once and another guy did when I was realesing a fish as well. No manners on the stream anymore, you just gotta shake it off and move on. I got a wife and kids and DO NOT need to get into it with some fish crazed idiot. I have seen beatdowns durring the salmon runs of years past when I was a kid. Now a days, you never know, people carry guns and there are a lot of unstable people out there, its not worth it. If

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/11 20:02:50 (permalink)
    Now do you believe fishin is a full contact sport?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/11 20:19:12 (permalink)
    I have seen the ole turn yer head to release a fish and have someone standing in your bootprints when you turn around way too many times. Most of these people act as if you are fishing for the only friggen fish in all of Erie county.

Last year after my bro, a friend, and I landed several fish from a SMALL run, as I turned to release a fish, I turned back see a twenty-something dude standing exactly where I had been fishing. It was already 3 people fishing on a pod of maybe 20 fish in a run about 2 couches long. I asked what he thought he was doing, to which he replied "what are you going to do? stand here and catch every fish in the creek?"

I guess I just can't fathom what goes on through some peoples minds. But I did learn that the 3 or so fish I caught in that run were the "only fish in the creek" Had that d-bag approached me in a different manner, I would have gladly shared my spot and likely even gave him my rod to help him catch a few. But he didnt so I treated him like the tard he was. Everyone has to be a Richard for some reason up there.....

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/11 23:50:04 (permalink)
    All of you folks who complain about spot taking should really go over and fish some of the famous water in Scotland. You have to take your turn! If you were fishing an area the size of the Manchester hole (from the chutes down to the shallows) no matter how many fish were in there, they allow 1 fisherman at a time on the beat. One person starts at the head of the hole and drifts down; when he is 1/3 of the way down the warden will start another down, and so on. When you reach the end of the "Beat" you go back upsttream and watch, till it's your turn again. If you hook-up, and there are plenty of catches made during a day, all others respect your fish. and then you go back to the end of the line. Works great!
    Now having said that, since there is no formal politeness along the creeks in Erie, I too get quite miffed if somebody crowds in on me or casts over me. I once located a small pod of fish holding in a small, narow hole right above the cascades hole on Elk. Those old timers know where the big stump fell in and the current gouged out the small hole below the roots, next to the bank. (not there anymore) I fished it to get away and after my first fish I had 4 friends drop in? ? ? ?
    Conversly, if you hook a fish and take 15 minutes trying to land it and fight it up and down the creek for ever , Yep ! Somebody's going to take your spot.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 06:48:13 (permalink)
    Nobody ever fishes near me during steelhead season.....

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 08:59:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Nobody ever fishes near me during steelhead season.....

Fishing in the meat department at Wal-Mart does have it's advantages.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 09:12:32 (permalink)
    In Scotland salmon fishing is also hardly a hobby of the general blue collar public. You can get the scottish beat style fishing in Erie too, at Beaver's club.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 09:14:27 (permalink)
    I've seen mom, dad and son all snagging while moms and pops were pounding the brews........

I've seen some dude with like 12 PFBC Angler Award patches on his back snagging away.......

I've seen a guy with two-wraps of a feather on his HUGE treble hook, fishing drop shot style.........

I've seen a guy who turned out to be a Police Officer blatantly snag fish---I asked him what fly did the fish take, PO goes, he didn't take my fly.......ahahah--classic--he strung that bugger up----then he caught a smaller steelie legally and launched it onto the nice gray slush like the bass guys do with a fish into the boat---take his hook out.....kick the fish so that it slid 20 feet back into the creek

I've seen a guy fishing the mouth of Trout Run drunk off his butt----he had a COHO face down inside a rubber boot in the back of his P/U truck----all you could see was the wiggling tail------he was trying to start his truck and drive away---this guy was hammered

I would bet there are some real horror stories from the guys who fish up there daily...............

www.2bonthewater.com
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 09:16:47 (permalink)
    I have been known to, when crowded out of a spot, and I complain and get the reponse" you don't own the creek and I can fish whereever i want to" say " you are correct but I can also throw rocks in the stream as you don't own it either" and proceed to stone the spot. Worked a lot better when I was younger and could take care of myself. Now I reserve it for my age of boneheads who I can handle....WF
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 09:36:57 (permalink)
    My biggest fear is some looney is gonna shoot a fellow fisherman up at Elk or Walnut over a steelie
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 09:41:43 (permalink)
    My biggest fear is that word will get out about the good fall steely fishing in erie.
    Freedom0115
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 10:07:03 (permalink)
    All these posts are reasons why I hardly ever fish for steelies anymore. It's not worth the hassle, too many idiots out there.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 10:30:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Freedom0115

All these posts are reasons why I hardly ever fish for steelies anymore. It's not worth the hassle, too many idiots out there.

Encourage others to do the same

deerhuntingpa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 10:35:03 (permalink)
    if you fish in your underwear with a lamp shade on your head and a shoulder holster with a banana in it no one bothers you on the crick 
    Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 11:14:46 (permalink)
    I never fished for steelies up there but been meaning to. Now with that advice i gotta go up there with my lampshade. This is gonna be the best fall ever!!! although i think im gonna replace the banana with a really big pickle!
    deerhuntingpa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 11:22:14 (permalink)
    i believe that might do it but you must watch without the curve of the banana the pickle might fall out then your just a weird guy with a holster and nobody wants to be that guy
                         p.s for the full effect you must wear bunny slippers and constantly complain about global warming
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 11:28:02 (permalink)
    Its only a matter of time, someone will be killed at Walnut or Elk, mark my words ! Too many unstable humans in this world nowadays. The problem is nobody wants to walk more than a 1/4 mile from where they park the ride. I to am guilty of this at times, but to avoid the crowds you have to leave the crowd ! If you only fish the project waters at the Nut and from the waterfall to the the lake on Elk you ARE going to run into idiots. This tends to be where "Most" of the fish are, or at least that what these guys think. If you do a little exploring like Dora, you can find plenty of fish if we have had enough flow to let them get up there. Fish do move upstream, its a natural thing !
    If you don't want to move away from the crowds, you become part of them !

But there are of ****holes out there !
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 12:17:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JEB

Its only a matter of time, someone will be killed at Walnut or Elk, mark my words ! Too many unstable humans in this world nowadays.

"Back in the day" when manchester hole was posted during the salmon run (actually posted for a time from manchester to Rt. 5) I recall that there was an incident when a nut pulled a gun on a WCO. The WCO took it away from him.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 13:45:03 (permalink)
    On a decent day, nice weather and good stream conditions, the idiots are as spread out as the fish. You just have to grin and bear it, or walk away. I've done plenty of both.

Last year my father and I were walking out of 20 mile, and came across a nice pool with only one guy fishing it, on the other side of the stream. My father asked the guy if he would mind if my father took a cast, and the guy said "Do what you want, theres only two fish in here and I already snagged them both". Nice guy
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/12 16:07:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

My biggest fear is that word will get out about the good fall steely fishing in erie.

Is it worth the trip?

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/15 11:45:14 (permalink)
    try setting a pole down turning around and haveing it snatched when u turn back around 5 minutes later, i hope that guys drowns, i was 12 yrs old and bought that with money from my paper route

JEB i dont think anyone will get killed just for the fact that u better have alot of ammo b/c your gonna have alot of eyes watching you
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/15 14:40:51 (permalink)
    Once I was hooking a lot of fish in a run and Plumbob edged in 100' upstream from me.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Things that make you go Hmmmmm 2010/08/18 21:23:03 (permalink)
    September 2009 on Walnut Creek near the Chutes there was this one kid I guess around 18 - 25 years old who apparently felt it was his duty to call out judgement on every fish anyone caught : "Legal , Foul Hooked " , Tail Hooked ". After half a dozen times it was clear that he was iritating everyone . It appeared that the majority of people fishing there were experienced anglers , not that it matters that they were . He didn't realize how close he came going in the drink or perhaps worse and he failed to interpret the looks he was getting from the other guys or just chose to ignore them . It seems to me that too many times fishermen are very tolerant of those who deserve to have their behavior addressed .
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: