COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL!

Author
jon_e_si
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1103
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/08 08:41:25 (permalink)

COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL!

Drowning victim was Maine man

var uc_heading = "Drowning%20victim%20was%20Maine%20man";

By ROBERT BRAUCHLE
TIMES STAFF WRITER
SUNDAY, AUGUST 8, 2010

The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department has identified the 80-year-old man who drowned Friday while fishing in Lake Ontario as Richard B. Woodall of Gilford, Maine.
Mr. Woodall, along with his nephew, Alan W. Woodall, 61, of 297 Old Market Road, Norfolk, was in a 16-foot aluminum Starcraft Holiday on Lake Ontario. They were anchored just north of Drowned Island, a shallow area just off Little Sandy Creek in Ellisburg, about 10 a.m. when the anchor broke loose and a large wave came across the boat, causing the elder Mr. Woodall to be thrown overboard. Neither man allegedly was wearing a life vest at the time, although they were available on the boat.
Deputies said waves were about 4 to 8 feet at the time of the accident. Water began to fill the boat and the younger Mr. Woodall grabbed a life vest and called 911.
He eventually was pulled ashore by local residents and members of the Belleville Fire Department and treated for water exposure.

Shortly after 2 p.m., emergency personnel pulled the dead man's body from the lake. He was taken to Cleveland Funeral Home after family members identified his body.
Also involved in the rescue were members of the Jefferson County sheriff's Marine Unit, Jefferson County's Strategic Tactics and Rescue team, U.S. Coast Guard based in Oswego and an air unit from the state police.
/* The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department has identified the 80-year-old man who drowned Friday while fishing in Lake Ontario as Richard B. Woodall of Gilford, Maine. Mr. Woodall, along with his nephew, Alan W. Woodall, 61, of 297 Old Market Road, Norfolk, was in a 16-foot aluminum Starcraft Holiday on Lake Ontario. They were anchored just north of Drowned Island, a shallow area just off Little Sandy Creek in Ellisburg, about 10 a.m. when the anchor broke loose and a large wave came across the boat, causing the elder Mr. Woodall to be thrown overboard. Neither man allegedly was wearing a life vest at the time, although they were available on the boat. Deputies said waves were about 4 to 8 feet at the time of the accident. Water began to fill the boat and the younger Mr. Woodall grabbed a life vest and called 911.He eventually was pulled ashore by local residents and members of the Belleville Fire Department and treated for water exposure.Shortly after 2 p.m., emergency personnel pulled the dead man's body from the lake. He was taken to Cleveland Funeral Home after family members identified his body.Also involved in the rescue were members of the Jefferson County sheriff's Marine Unit, Jefferson County's Strategic Tactics and Rescue team, U.S. Coast Guard based in Oswego and an air unit from the state police.';
//bodytext = bodytext.replace(/href="/,'href=');
//bodytext = bodytext.replace(/">/,'>');
//bodytext = bodytext.replace(/" target="/,' target=');
var patt = "";
var bodyparagraphs = bodytext.split(patt);
var paragraphscount = bodyparagraphs.length;
var paragraphsbreak = 4;
var newbody = "";
var textbefore = "";
var textafter = "";
if (paragraphscount >= 4)
{
var paragraphshalf = Math.floor(paragraphscount / 2);
//if (paragraphshalf > 3)
// {
for (i = 0; i ";
}
textbefore += bodyparagraphs;
}
else
{
if (i ";
}
textafter += bodyparagraphs;
}
}
}
// }
}
else
{
textbefore += bodytext;
}
if (textbefore == '')
{
textbefore = bodytext;
}
document.getElementById('textbefore').innerHTML = textbefore;
document.getElementById('textafter').innerHTML = textafter;
document.getElementById('article_body').innerHTML = "";
/* ]]> */

function setlinks(id, linktext)
{
var linksarray = document.getElementById(id).getElementsByTagName('a');
var linksnum = linksarray.length;
for (i=0; i

7 Replies Related Threads

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/08 09:27:08 (permalink)
    Sorry for you your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you...

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/08 16:10:55 (permalink)
    Wow Jon-e, I am really sorry for you and the rest of the family.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/08 16:32:08 (permalink)
    very sorry to that news prayes go to all
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/09 08:15:57 (permalink)
    Sorry for your loss, that has to be rough...

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/09 09:58:06 (permalink)
    Sorry for your loss...
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/09 10:26:10 (permalink)
    I'm sorry for your loss, and thankful that it didn't happen to both of them. Certainly a reminder of how dangerous our 'hobby' can be.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: COUSIN DIED DOING WHAT WE ALL LOVE - BE CAREFUL! 2010/08/09 20:46:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for condolences - important message is to wear life jacket when it's rough! They had them in the boat, but only one was able to get his on!
    I used to be a life guard in my younger days and have come to realize I'm not as able as I once was.
    Jump to: