Fly shop story?

Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/07 12:34:26 (permalink)

Fly shop story?

Hey everyone Was at my local flyshop here i the city . We were discussing steelhead fishing. One of the guys start telling a story about a teen catching a good number of fish. Believable. He said every time the guy hooked a fish he put the tip of his rod in the water and had little trouble giuding the fish to the net. Never heard of landing a fish by putting your rod tip in the water during the retrieve. It was late season according to the guy, and the fish weren't fighting hard like an early fall fish. Any one ever see this kind of retrieve? Any comments? Thanks everyone.

6 Replies Related Threads

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/07 13:29:20 (permalink)
    Two years ago on Walnut, nice run on 10-22. There was this guy, all decked out in Pittsburgh Steeler clothing, hat, coat sweat pants, everything. He was "working" his powerbait by dipping the tip of his rod into the water. He couldn't hav caught a fish if someone lobbed one at him.

Fishmonger
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/07 13:45:59 (permalink)
    Putting the rod in the water, or at least near it pulls the fish straight from it's side (side pressure). This way you aren't lifting the weight of the fish up, so it's causing the fish to work harder. 

It is the best way to tire a fish fast, but if the fish has allot of line out it's best to keep the rod high until you can get it closer. The more line you have out, the more line you'll have running along the bottom to find snags/rocks to cut it.

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/07 14:29:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishmonger

Two years ago on Walnut, nice run on 10-22. There was this guy, all decked out in Pittsburgh Steeler clothing, hat, coat sweat pants, everything. He was "working" his powerbait by dipping the tip of his rod into the water. He couldn't hav caught a fish if someone lobbed one at him.

most likely a clevelander showing his true colors. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/07 18:03:06 (permalink)
    Depending on how late in the season and the air temp. that rod tip could freeze solid real fast.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/07 21:54:54 (permalink)
    ^What stillhead said...

I wouldnt neccesarily put your rod tip in the water... Just give em some side pressure and keep throwing them off balance.
    post edited by fishrmn - 2010/08/07 21:55:23
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Fly shop story? 2010/08/08 21:24:30 (permalink)
    This guy wasn't fighting fish, he was literally sticking his rod tip under the water, and "jigging" his bait up and down the current. I have a picture somewhere, if I find it I will post it. You had to be there, he was well over six feet tall, and even though it was a warm day, he was decked out in an outfit that you would wear to Heinz Field in November. Fish had to be swimming past him, front and back, as he was standing in the middle of the area below the falls on Walnut.

Fishmonger
    Jump to: