Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/05 23:43:32 (permalink)

I gotta Question

Distinguished members...I have a question, mostly for the yinzers. I have a pipe dream that I am considering acting on. I may have opportunity to buy my childhood home. It is less than 500 yards from one of the best steelmutt spots on earth. It has a good size lot, but the house needs gutted. The house and lot are coming at a super reasonable price. I can do every inch of the work myself and would only have materials into it.

I am considering buying this property to offer up as rentals to fisherman. I see soo many posts about where can I get A clean room and something good to eat?"....What if I could offer both? With boat parking in a quiet safe place. A little "bed and breakfast" for rent on lake Erie. I also know a few guides/charter guys that I may be able to incorporate into a package...I'm sure I could solicit a few more.

Besides the house....I would also have room for additionial boat storage, and maybe even overnight camping...my old man did it in the same house in the 70's for the salmon runs.

Typically what kills these types of businesses is the cost of Labor on remodling/upkeep of this kind of facility....since that's what I do for a living...that's covered

Anyway....thanks for bearing with me. My "pipe dream" seems more of a "feasible idea" the more I think about it. Do you duuds think I'm dreamin'...or could it be a profitable business? I value your opinions....pos or neg.

I don't expect to get rich. I figure I could pay for the house in less than 10yrs and make a decent profit after that. Who knows....it could blow up.

Depending on how this thread goes....I may really delve into this. I'm sure I can get my employer to contribute, he always digs a good investment. If I could get it down on paper....would anyone else be intersted? Maybe even a timeshare deal between Fisherie members? Might b sweet for some of you duuds....just sayin....fire away....

Slick

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

33 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 00:05:22 (permalink)
    Sounds ike a good way to earn some equity. Go for it if you and your family has time to contribute.
    Good luck!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 00:21:14 (permalink)
    The biggest problem as I would see it would be having someone "on Site" to supervise the place. Not everybody will respect your property. (I know of this 1st hand) and with the turn-over of guests it could wind up being quite labor intensive. Unless you intended to reside there and rent out rooms. Just my 2cents. If you want it bad enough it can be attainable.

BTW I live sooo far south I'm a yawaller.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2010/08/06 00:22:05

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 00:21:43 (permalink)
    Great chance that you may not want to let pass!  Before considering it even as a business you should review it's value as a private property and it's sentimental value.
     As far as a business, it may work very well for the type of thing you mentioned, but you would have to check with the township for zoning restrictions, etc. Also, if run as a business the taxes may be assessed differently, and you may need to meet different requirements for water/sewage and insurances than you would for a private home. Being in the rental business you should be able to get that info straight pretty quick to see how it stands against what you want to accomplish with the property.
     Another thing you may be able to provide, depending on where the property is and how isolated... a couple of small cabins situated slightly away from the main house, could be rental income on daily or weekly basis without the hassle of someone in the main house. Many possibilities and not a chance I would pass up if it were available to me!
     We have already discussed buying a piece of property in the area just to give ourselves more freedom than renting in the campground allows.... so I envy you your chance! I'd say run the numbers, if they are reasonable at all... Go for it!
     Good luck!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 00:22:15 (permalink)
    Code may kill your budget

wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 00:30:10 (permalink)
    Distingushished Sir...

I think you have a great oppertunity - if you have the recources I'd go for it...I only wish I had that...been trying to find work in the area and settle down close to the place I love to be...

Camper hookups?  Just a plug-in would be cool...for maybe a few days...

Cool beans
    Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 01:42:03 (permalink)
    I just went through this a few months back.  We were torn between restoring the house to enjoy it ourselves, or using it as a rental property.  The most important thing for you to do is first answer that question, then run the numbers.

When we factored in the costs to redo the house, the labor and time involved, the taxes, utilities, insurance (we needed to get flood ins. too), and the multitude of other issues we decided to pass on it.

We figured we would have 20k in it before it was done, with a yearly base cost around 2k in taxes and what not.  Figuring on the 2k a year alone for personal enjoyment, that's a pretty nice vacation every year that you are spending just down the road. 

Putting 20k into a business is a little different, but with my time already maxed out with the family and work, the last thing I needed was another lawn to mow and more people to clean up after.  You could do well because there is a lot more than just steel to keep people in Erie most of the year.  You'll have to decide what's more important though, the money or your sanity.  It's definitely going to drive you crazy, and if you do it you need to start a thread entitled "where I found the fish guts today."

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 07:02:06 (permalink)
    Go for it James can you say "time share" $350.00 - $700.00 a week .... I'll help ya advertise .... D
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/08/06 07:03:46
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 07:41:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good idea to me Slick!  Go for it buddy...
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 07:43:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

He's right espescially the lead rrp rule that just went through. As a landlord you would have to be a certified renovator and have a certified firm. For that your looking at 200-250 to be a renovator and then another 300 for your firm. Which opens another can of worms now you need a business then you have to decide sole proprietor or corporation. They both have there benefits and draw backs. I would say if you think you can handle all the politcal bs involved then go for it.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 07:55:13 (permalink)
    Thats BS, no offense to you Scott.....just renovate the place as if you were doing it for yourself, without plans to rent it out....then, later on, conveniently decide to rent it out and become a landlord....NO laws against that.  Some of these assenine Govn't Regs seem designed to keep the little guys down....unreal and pizzes me off!  I would, however look into all the regulations/insurances and such on renting out a place/home and decide if you want to deal with it all.  Good Luck...I still think your idea has serious potential.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/08/06 07:56:57
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 08:29:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papinner

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

He's right espescially the lead rrp rule that just went through. As a landlord you would have to be a certified renovator and have a certified firm. For that your looking at 200-250 to be a renovator and then another 300 for your firm. Which opens another can of worms now you need a business then you have to decide sole proprietor or corporation. They both have there benefits and draw backs. I would say if you think you can handle all the politcal bs involved then go for it.

Make it a duplex and live in the other side there's ways around all that red tape you just have to play the game & do your homework . Pick up the incentives tax credits for homeowners , renovations , ect there is many positives for the entrepenuer(sp) if one uses thier knoodle ....
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 08:46:36 (permalink)
    I think you should pass on it. Where did you say it was?

Seriously though, it sounds like a good opportunity and I know you have the knowledge and skills to do the work. Gov BS will be your biggest hurdles. Not sure, but I think once you start it as a "resort" type property your tax assessment will change. You'll definately want to discretely check on what the requirements and costs will be once you decide to start renting. "Violent Pike's Bed and Breakfast"
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 08:58:56 (permalink)
    Good idea as long as you look at it as a LONG term investment.You could call in favors from here and have some help getting it done.A lot of diversified talent here...A trip on the SS Slick in exchange for help hanging drywall Hook up with a few guides and you can provide a place for their clients to sleep.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 09:25:10 (permalink)
    I'm in for plumbing and electrical!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 09:35:57 (permalink)
    You better have a nice cash reserve. There are plenty of potential problems , as many have outlined here already. Are you ready and do you have the time to be a building manager? Juice is not worth the squeezin if you ask me...WF
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 09:45:56 (permalink)
    ShutupNFish is right!

One question:  Are you talking about a bed & breakfast, as in, you live there too, and rent out a room or two?  Or are you talking about a rental house/cabin that you rent by the day/week/weekend?
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 09:47:32 (permalink)
    See what code is for drywall
    You may be able to use 5/8 or you may need to double

Put in alarm wire and sprinkler pipes before drywall even if you don't need them.
    MUCH easier before walls are up.
    ADA requires ramps and wider doors
    Septic may be the biggest obstacle

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 09:51:59 (permalink)
    "Are you ready and do you have the time to be a building manager?"

Duud manages a city block worth of buildings now... just sayin'
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2010/08/06 09:52:46
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 10:09:53 (permalink)
    Mea culpa, didnt know. Looks like a lot of knowledgable people here. Line all your ducks up. Still better have the cash reserves. Wish you all the luck...WF
    Frisco
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 10:10:32 (permalink)
    Slick,

Me and John (Frisco and Hogsett) have a camper up at Pine Lane Campground that we keep there year round. We are usually up there 1-2 weekends out of the month. The trip is a 3 hour drive to be there. From my experience, I would say there are a heck of a lot of people that would like to either rent a place for the week or stay for the weekend during the fishing seasons. Now the question is when is fishing season..... Steelhead is hot from Mid October to Early January..... And you also have the charters that run Hot during the summers. My guess is that there will be an open season for no rent from February through April or May... With a few stragglers in between.

You probably will not be able to put a camping tag on the property being it is a LOT as you stated. It would be nice if it were available but I really dont know the regulations where you are at.
    If it is possible, there are some nice cabins that you can line the property with and have electric only for additional value and income.

As far as a Time Share as you stated, There would be plenty of members and fishermen that would be willing to throw in the help and finances that are needed to remodel the place and get it up to snuff.

Basically, my thoughts, which have been many about doing this same thing would be to offer a time share opportunity to 10 other people who I would entrust with a set of signed rules and regulations for Finances, Work for Remodeling, Owner Time and Rental Time.

Each of the 10 owners would get 4 weeks per year entitled to them 1 week during each of the four seasons and there would be 12 weeks left for Rental mainly during the peak seasons.

Your Rental Income should offset any taxes and services that may need to be paid.

I would definately be interested in something like this and I am sure there are many more that would be willing to get involved.

Rick Frisco
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 10:32:14 (permalink)
    Being a absentee landlord can be a real pain. My siblings and I have a beach house in Maine. We have a realator who lives down the street handle most of the rentals. He takes 20% and keeps an eye on the place. Minimum rental is for one week and the rent includes the cost of the cleaning service that comes in after each renter. Even then we have problems, like the priest who came out of the closet, threw **** bashes and wrote on all the walls with lipstick.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 10:52:33 (permalink)
    Funny you mention it Glen, I'm actually headed for Maine tonight for a week....rented a beachhouse too! I think its Biddeport Maine. Been wanting to go there for years.....lookin forward to it.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 11:06:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

The biggest problem as I would see it would be having someone "on Site" to supervise the place. Not everybody will respect your property. (I know of this 1st hand) and with the turn-over of guests it could wind up being quite labor intensive. Unless you intended to reside there and rent out rooms. Just my 2cents. If you want it bad enough it can be attainable.

I agree with Indy ! You would need to have someone there to oversee the place or charge a hefty security deposit. Some people just don't respect anything ! But you would have no issue renting out rooms and such. Plenty of people don't want to drive the 2+ hours, then back from SW pa. I think you would make $ if you could police it somehow. The guide/charter thing could work as well, plenty of epople dont have boats or would like a giude on the tribs for at least one day. Good Luck if you try it, maybe even stay there.
    chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 11:09:53 (permalink)
    Doesn't sound like you would be risking a lot of dough. If it's just sweat and not money the you are going to risk, why not?

I like the sounds of it. You know the place and what you are getting, better than anyone. Good luck.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 11:12:12 (permalink)
    I think its a good idea slick IF it's done right...Section off into maybe 2 rentals. Small kitchen,Enough room to sleep 4-8 people in each, maybe build some bunk beds? and a descent amount of living space. A big covered porch, fish cleaning station, freezers, maybe a small pavilion? Air Conditioning is a must as well. I know I always look for AC places when going in summers. I think you should go for it. As far as getting campers there, that is more hassle than what it's worth IMO. To many permits and code BS. Boat storage is a good idea too......But has to be secure so no hoodlems start stealin' ****.... 

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 11:57:00 (permalink)

Duud manages a city block worth of buildings now... just sayin'

Me 2

Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 12:10:45 (permalink)
    it would definetly be my first choice of a place to stay for the weekends i come up for steel thats for sure
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 12:18:06 (permalink)
    Hey Slickfish, yinz gunna have a flatscreen for tha stillerz games an 'aht?

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: I gotta Question 2010/08/06 13:14:04 (permalink)
    They say a down economy is the best time to start a business but may also be a risky time. If you can afford to carry the property without it making you any money then I say go for it. Even if it takes you the next year to get it all put together and ready for next season then it sounds like a good idea.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: