muskie fishing in late fall/winter

Author
mariosteam0506
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/22 20:34:23 (permalink)

muskie fishing in late fall/winter

I love being out on that water casting away at a big muskie. But for late fall and winter i am kind of lost. If anybody out there could tell me some decent spots or good baits to use, I would be really thankful.

24 Replies Related Threads

71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/22 20:42:20 (permalink)
    Two spots I know that hold big muskies are the Layton Bridge area and where Cedar Creek flows into the Yough. As far as bait is concerned, big spoons and bucktails. I have caught muskies in both of those areas over the years.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    mariosteam0506
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/22 20:55:18 (permalink)
    71 gto is layton bridge on the average canoe trip from hazelbakers
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/22 22:17:38 (permalink)
    Mario,

You go across it from RT51 heading to Hazelbakers. You used to be able to drive under the bridge and park but I am not sure if you can do that anymore as I heard the Hazelbakers bought that property and has blocked it off. But you can park before going acrozz the bridge and make you way down to the river.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/22 22:59:00 (permalink)
    Cranberry glade lake has bazzion northern pike in there
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/23 00:35:03 (permalink)
    If you have a boat arthur and the lower allegheny would be your best bets.  In the fall/winter stick with big baits fished a little slower and deeper than spring/summer.  This time of the year alot of the 4-6'' forage they were chasing around is now 10+''.  Trolling is probably the most effective although, not gonna be the most exciting.

Chris
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/23 08:22:24 (permalink)
    Do you troll straight off of the back, or with planers?  Are they skittish from the boat motor, or are they the type that it doesn't bother them?  I've seen musky sit in the river, still, even with me 10 feet away, clearly in site.  They don't seem to be scared of much.  I've never had the fortune of catching one trolling though.  I usually troll one larger offering, but never seems to get much attention.  Some day it will pay off though.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/23 11:10:32 (permalink)
    Pork,  I would say that probably about half of the fish Ive caught trolling have come in the propwash.  As a rule of thumb I let out about a double the depth amount of line so if its 12 feet deep let out about 25 feet of line.  I like to keep that bait big and flashy.  I have that rod holder postioned so the line is directly behind the prop.  If im by myself I dont use planers, they are to hard to use when your trying to control the boat and fish another rod.  I just have another rod off the side.  I use planers sometimes if I have another person with me, that way I have 1 in the wash, one a little off the side, and 2 off the planers.  It never seems to matter about the planers, they seem to hit kinda at random.
    SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/25 21:52:19 (permalink)
    I have to agree with E Hunter. The prop wash for me, year round is great! I do what he said and also trick it. Sometimes I usea cookie dipsey, sometimes a shot or two, sometimes an inline wieght. But always run something in the prop. I mix the size of my plugs all the time, regardless of season. The only time I go one way or the other is if one thing is firing consistantly, regardless of year. You'd be surprised what you can catch on large and small muskie plugs! I'm also with E hunter, usualy, even on Aurthur, I only run red birds if someone is with me. They're tough to work by yourself with two rods. Regardless of how the other is set.

Smitty
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/26 08:36:10 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I will be giving it a shot this weekend, in the Ohio River mud...  I know the deep sea trollers put stuff right in the prop wash.  Wasn't sure if the fresh water alpha dogs were the same way.  Seems like some fish are curious of boats, and others are terrified.

Smitty,
    Haven't seen a post from you in a while.  Good to hear from you.  I hope all is going well!

willyfister
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 12:21:08 (permalink)
    I was planning trying my luck throwing big plugs next time out on the river, Probably big rapalas any suggestions on color. I know up at Arther in the spring I do good with black and silver rapalas. Any better colors for the river???
    Thanks Willy
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 12:58:36 (permalink)
    I have yet to do well on the Allegheny.  But, I havent really put in too much time there in the past few years.  I have a few close friends that do very well this time of year at the mouths of creeks.  They mainly use jerkbaits, like suicks, in natural colors.  Black backs and orange, silver, gold, and red bellies seem to be their best colors.  Most of the forage base in the rivers are suckers, chubs, and carp, so think natural.  Keep in mind musky fishing can be very unpredictable and as someone said previously in this thread it wont hurt to have a variety of colors and sizes.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 15:14:57 (permalink)
    There are a ton of gizzard shad in the rivers too.  They are likely in the 5"+ range right now.  I haven't seen many myself lately, but were everywhere in the summer.  We tried trolling for a little while, but the leaves and branches were making it pretty hard.

I had some success (no muskies) this past weekend on green tube jigs.  Had even more success on shiners.  Nothing big, but at least some action.  The most action that I have had since the spring.  I didn't have the best year on the rivers.  Things seem to be heating up though.  Right in time for daylight savings, frost, and putting the boat away...  Probably destroy fish from the shore. 

I fished Crappy's favorite crappie spot yesterday for about an hour.  Caught about 25 fish.  Mostly small panfish, but did get a few 12"+ largemouths.  Not big, but a nice treat, after catching 6" crappies.

Hitting the Jersey shore for work in a few days!  Hopefully have some pics next week.  Most likely won't, because I never seem to catch fish when there is a cooler within 100 yards of me...
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 19:20:20 (permalink)
    I have seen guys get up to the peryopolis section of the yough with small boat lots of big muskys up there!!!
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 19:21:29 (permalink)
    keystone lake has lot of big muskys if you work for them???
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/30 20:24:06 (permalink)
    I fished the power**** about 4 different times this summer, exclusively pounding for muskies.  Came up with one follow from a 30" fish in 4 days 8+ hours per day.  Cant say ive ever met anyone that has done well there for skis but, I always run into a bass guy there complaining of them.  Believe me, im not saying they aren't there, just a very different lake than your average murky shallow PA lakes.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/10/31 02:03:03 (permalink)
      Hey Pork,

I'll have to hit that spot with the kids purdy soon. It's about that time of year for a 200 crappie stockin on a farm pond we stocked with a bunch of over grown cats & afew good pike. Gotta keep em well fed you know? Them little crappy's we put in the ponds will be about 12'' - 15"  in 5-6 years   Gotta clean the waterfowl stuff out of the boat before Sun. Rippinlip the boys & I are gonna give Arthur a try. I can see it now, Rippinlip & Greg goin for panfish & Timmy & I goin for toothy critters.
    I'm takin the bigest net I have this time. I'll get skunked for sure then.

I had 3 motors re-done last month so I wanna give em some runnin before ice sets in. If you wanna try for some pike up this way when the lake is still mostly iced over lett mee no/ Timmy slammed them when the guys on this board said the lake was still iced over.

Now I don't know if I should work on slatein the chimmney down stairs or go through my toothy critter stuff ?

Make sure too take the cooler with you to the shore.

Later
    Crappy
    thebrewcrew
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/03 11:02:36 (permalink)
    fished stonewall for muskie on thur saw 1 by the dam.thats it.probably 45" on left by shoal markers.
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/04 18:16:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

I fished the power**** about 4 different times this summer, exclusively pounding for muskies.  Came up with one follow from a 30" fish in 4 days 8+ hours per day.  Cant say ive ever met anyone that has done well there for skis but, I always run into a bass guy there complaining of them.  Believe me, im not saying they aren't there, just a very different lake than your average murky shallow PA lakes.

i do better for musky/pike fishing with bass gear then musky/pike gear. my clutch bait this year was a standard 1/2 oz white spinnerbait with two big nickle willows. i threw buchtails till my arms couldnt take it anymore and only managed a follow or two. cant speak for anything else as i havent invested to heavily in musky gear yet like box's of double cowgirls and what not.

might be a pain catching a lot of bass inbetween (as if) but if your bigger stuff isnt working plug the same areas with bass gear, spinnerbaits and smaller cranks namely.

i think the problem with powerdam this year was it was so low for so long and so many weedbeds the fish were scattered. shoreline cover was non existant for the past how many months.........
    muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/23 19:49:16 (permalink)
    Have you ever tried fishing creeks in the winter?  French Ck can be good at times.  Try Storm Kickin' minnows, glide bait, cranes, & jigs.  Also try the outflows of Shenango, Woodcock, and other lakes.  If I had to fish any river for muskies it would be the Beaver River.  Have fished the Ohio and never caught one. A buddie of mine fished for muskies in the Ohio around 30 times last year and never hooked one.  You would probably have to troll along the bottom and the way that river eats lures I don't know if it's worth it.
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/24 00:31:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

Hey Pork,

I'll have to hit that spot with the kids purdy soon. It's about that time of year for a 200 crappie stockin on a farm pond we stocked with a bunch of over grown cats & afew good pike. Gotta keep em well fed you know? Them little crappy's we put in the ponds will be about 12'' - 15"  in 5-6 years   Gotta clean the waterfowl stuff out of the boat before Sun. Rippinlip the boys & I are gonna give Arthur a try. I can see it now, Rippinlip & Greg goin for panfish & Timmy & I goin for toothy critters.
    I'm takin the bigest net I have this time. I'll get skunked for sure then.

I had 3 motors re-done last month so I wanna give em some runnin before ice sets in. If you wanna try for some pike up this way when the lake is still mostly iced over lett mee no/ Timmy slammed them when the guys on this board said the lake was still iced over.

Now I don't know if I should work on slatein the chimmney down stairs or go through my toothy critter stuff ?

Make sure too take the cooler with you to the shore.

Later
    Crappy

cRapfshR

i hamarEd 2 muskees an a ded duk yessTrdey duud

uz a wite an redd spOon
    trusst mee
    the muskees ar rite owtside the covz

du yu wannt to by a chaynsaw duud
    50 buks an itts yurs
    lett me no

ok/
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/27 14:05:48 (permalink)
     Thanks for another tip sir. Bought a chane saw on black Fri. for Matt, he said he wood cut me would for free butt onlie brot mee back a bunch ov twiggs

wHatt kinnd ov sAw?/
    SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/27 19:35:05 (permalink)
    Glide baits? NOBODY uses them right? LOL.....

Just for a laugh
    Smitty
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/28 23:13:32 (permalink)
      Mister YG,

you wanna hit the lake this Sundey/?
    whatt kinnd ov saw/?
    prob buy it for ice fishin
    if itts nott elec
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: muskie fishing in late fall/winter 2007/11/30 00:16:30 (permalink)
    i soLLd itt too krylaR
    hee is maleing mee the chek

Jump to: