what do you guys think about sage rods? please help.

Author
PolishfishermNY
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/31 15:09:21 (permalink)

what do you guys think about sage rods? please help.

I went to a store called Ramsey outdoors and they sell mostly sage rods and i was lookin at vantage 8wt 9ft and a flight 7wt 9ft. the 8wt felt soft and like it had a better bend the flight rod was a lil more stiff. well im explaining this so you guys know the situation.

So the question is should i be looking for a rod that is a lil longer about 9'6 or 10'?

please help?
post edited by PolishfishermNY - 2010/07/31 15:41:11

Fish On!!!!!!

11 Replies Related Threads

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 07:28:13 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with Sage rods

9' 7 Wt. Sounds about right to me for the size of most Erie streams, I just got a 10' 7wt. for the Catt but so far all I've used in Pa. was a 9'
    Good luck, Glen
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 07:44:56 (permalink)
    I've got a 9' 6w Sage Launch that works good for me...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 09:15:17 (permalink)
    I have 10-7wt sage flight and love it. I use it for steel and bass and have no problems with it

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 10:40:38 (permalink)
    personally...
    I would buy a higher end model from a mid name company rather than buy a low end rod from a big name company

pay for performance... not the name

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 14:47:27 (permalink)
    Problem with high end rods from most companies is, they're too stiff (fast action). That seems to be the trend nowadays. That doesn't work very well for novice or intermediate casters. You have to be a pretty darn good caster (not me ) to get the full benefit from them. I have a Launch (what the Vantage replaced) in 5 wt that I love. It's kind of a moderate action that works well for me. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty. 

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 19:23:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: clinchknot

Problem with high end rods from most companies is, they're too stiff (fast action). That seems to be the trend nowadays. That doesn't work very well for novice or intermediate casters. You have to be a pretty darn good caster (not me ) to get the full benefit from them. I have a Launch (what the Vantage replaced) in 5 wt that I love. It's kind of a moderate action that works well for me. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty. 

I agree with KJH. Before I'd buy a lower end Sage, I'd get a mid to higher end St Croix for similar money. The intro level Sages never blew me away. I don't know the flight specifically, but I suspect it is a revamped Fli. Nothing wrong with them, I just feel that you get better performance from the St Croix than the Sage in that price range.

Stiff doesn't mean fast action. Action is where the rod bends, not how much force it takes to bend it (stiffness). That was the problem with the Orvis system. It rated 'flex' with a given line, not action. A rod can be rated a fast 8 wt, but really it is a moderate action 10 wt. In this case, the Avid would be the direct price comparison and I'd rate the avid as one of the best beginner purchases you can get. They have truly moderate fast actions and are typically rated very accurately for line weight. They are fairly high modulus so response time is good, but they aren't thin wall blanks so they aren't terribly delicate. If the action suits your casting stroke, the Avid is a great rod to start on.

BTW, I used to work at Ramsey (the original one in Ramsey, not the one further down 17 at Paramus). At the time, I had cast every rod in the store (most on the water) which would vary from 50-75 at any time. That was one of two places where I really honed my casting preferences.

Thanks,
    Rick
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/01 21:17:56 (permalink)
    I understand action, but to the average person, a fast action rod feels stiff. To me, spending $700 on a fly rod because it's the top of the line doesn't make sense if it feels wrong for your style or level of casting. Just a matter of opinion I guess but I have no problems lower level sage rods and feel they're way better than some other companies "signature" rods. It's all in how they respond to your input.

imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/02 07:12:56 (permalink)
    Consider Jim Teeny's TFO fly rods...I have a pair of their 10-footers, a five-weight and 7-weight...great actions, well made - best part.....$200!!!!!!!!!

North Platte Bum
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/02 14:59:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: clinchknot

I understand action, but to the average person, a fast action rod feels stiff. To me, spending $700 on a fly rod because it's the top of the line doesn't make sense if it feels wrong for your style or level of casting. Just a matter of opinion I guess but I have no problems lower level sage rods and feel they're way better than some other companies "signature" rods. It's all in how they respond to your input.

No, you're absolutely right that you should buy a rod that fits your style of casting. However, if you compare two blanks with the same action and you cast both similarly, then why not get the higher spec'd model? To my arm, the lower end sage rods are designed with moderate to moderate fast actions, lower modulus graphite, and are slightly under powered for their rating (i.e. a 7 wt is actually a strong 6 wt) so that the beginner has a better 'feel'. There is nothing wrong with it if that's what you like.

thanks
    rick
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/02 19:47:54 (permalink)
    I agree with all of that. I guess I'm just partial to my sage because it seems to work well for me.

shubey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: what do you guys think about sage rods? please help. 2010/08/05 09:34:07 (permalink)
    Tank:Met you on Misery bay last week fishing w/your son!Keep me posted when&where fishing is HOT!
    Jump to: