Tailwaters

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
AndyS509
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 14:33:43 (permalink)
Jolie, I didn't see your post until I replied didn't realize there was a page 2. I am really trying to practice more than anything with the fly rod and catch anything. I will be satisfied with just catching the 7 inchers at first and then tie on something larger hoping to get a bigger one. I'm sure I will take a wide variety of flies shapes and sizes and try them all. Thanks for the help.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 14:38:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: AndyS509
I am just really looking for a pattern to use because I have never fly fished and know slim to none about it. I can't even cast the rod right but I'm going to give it a try.

That's going to be a tough place to learn.  Without making it more complicated than it needs to be:

If you want to get a bunch of the recently stocked little guys try a size 14 or 16 elk hair caddis dry fly.
If you want bigger fish, try larger streamers like size 2 and bigger clouser minnows, big cone head wooly buggers, zonkers and any sculpin or crawfish pattern. 

If you fish the dries, a 5 weight is big enough.  But for the streamers, you won't be able to cast them.  I fish that river with streamers, a sinking tip line and an 8 weight.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 14:39:41 (permalink)
Lots of big browns in there. Lots of big browns. So far since the beginning of the trout season I have landed 30+ browns over 20 inches. 8 of them over 24, and biggest one 29. They are there.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 15:02:28 (permalink)
You will still catch the little guys on almost all baits, cept for the very large...

I was using my 6w to through large articulated bunny leeches and was still picking up a few little guys..
The Elk HairCaddis  will get you all the topwater action you want..

Have made a half dozen trips there and haven't pulled a big brown yet, my bad as they are there....
Had a large one about 2ft take a swing at my fly and miss right beside me...
I think the larger Browns are feeding at night or during that golden hour before dusk/dawn....

It is a great place for one to practice his casting lots of room......

Just watch out for the canoers, had one hook up on my pant leg with his #2 Octopus......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 15:19:52 (permalink)
bings I remember the post.

just out of curiosity whats hard about the spot?  I've thought about it from time to time.

In theory all you have to do is get to the lower edge of the rapids make a weak, awful looking rollcast across the current with a weighted streamer and fish and fish it back right?  Even if the streamer were to make its way pretty much exactly downstream of you, it couldn't look that much different from the plugs we fish in there.

and so far as nymphs go it looks pretty much exactly just like the runs I used to fish nymphs at.  A strike indicator always seem to do  wonders for reducing underwater drag.
-----------------------------------------
I can see it being a nightmare to fish it traditional with a dry fly.  There doesn't seem to be any easily seen definite feeding lies, in the run at the upper end of dixon island.  and I think it would be really hard to get a cast with enough slack in it to get more than a few feet of dragless drift.

I head so much of fly fishing it, you know maybe I really might try.  Is there anything about fly fishing streamers that would be hard to do after dark?

If I were to try it, heck I might not know anything more about it. but at least I could put my concept of how to fish it, to the test.
ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 15:25:18 (permalink)
All the browns I have caught this year have been after dark with the exception of the first couple weeks of the season, You could get them at just about any time of the day then. All most all during the summer hours have been well after sunset, or well before sunrise. I did flip one out of the riffles at 7:30am a few weeks back, but that was the only daylight brown I have caugh the past couple months.
jolie
Expert Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 15:27:20 (permalink)
D nymph, have you ever tried weighting flys?  I use to put small split shot on a nymph to sink them during the high flows of trout opening.  would it work on kinzua?  I give you that split shot makes it really hard to cast, but on the other sinking line aint so easy to cast either.

hope I'm not asking a dumb question.

how knows maybe I'll fish my fly outfit a little tonight.  what the heck.

-----------------------------------------------
I'm adding that I'm outfitted with an old fiberglass 6wt.  I realize something heavier might be necessary to get any distance with a heavy fly.
post edited by jolie - 2010/09/01 15:29:32
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 15:38:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jolie

D nymph, have you ever tried weighting flys?  I use to put small split shot on a nymph to sink them during the high flows of trout opening.  would it work on kinzua?  I give you that split shot makes it really hard to cast, but on the other sinking line aint so easy to cast either.

hope I'm not asking a dumb question.

how knows maybe I'll fish my fly outfit a little tonight.  what the heck.

-----------------------------------------------
I'm adding that I'm outfitted with an old fiberglass 6wt.  I realize something heavier might be necessary to get any distance with a heavy fly.

Yes, split shot helps with nymph fishing, not a dumb question.  Put it about 6" above the nymph, or so.

Your rod will work fine for nymphs & split shot.  But for the kind of streamers I'm throwing lately, it won't be big enough.  I like the sinking line because I think having the line beneath the surface, rather than from the top down, gives big streamers (5-6+" long) a better action and keeps it lower in the water column for a longer time.

Alot of my streamers have big lead barbell eyes, and/or lead wrapped around the bare hook shank when tied.
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 16:46:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ubertracker

Lots of big browns in there. Lots of big browns. So far since the beginning of the trout season I have landed 30+ browns over 20 inches. 8 of them over 24, and biggest one 29. They are there.

You probably read that post and thought to yourself "This guys is full of chit". Well he isn't. I've seen the pics. He's caught three times as many twenty inch trout this season as I've caught in my whole friggin life. Trout aren't even his favorite fish. Walleye are. Oh yeah he catches some lunker eyes too.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2992
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 19:16:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: outfortrout

ORIGINAL: ubertracker

You probably read that post and thought to yourself "This guys is full of chit". Well he isn't. I've seen the pics. He's caught three times as many twenty inch trout this season as I've caught in my whole friggin life. Trout aren't even his favorite fish. Walleye are. Oh yeah he catches some lunker eyes too.

He's right on the mark.
Early on when they dumped all those rainbows, You could see the big browns busting through schools of them lil' guys.
I still see an occasional brown chasing those 7 inch trout, but lately it's been slow during the daytime with both the bigger rainbows and browns.
You can still catch all you want of the lil' guys.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 19:29:38 (permalink)
There are a few different sized caddis hatching right now. The big ones are olive with a dark wing. About a #14.
Most of the small trout are looking up so dries work and little beadheaded flies hung just under the surface work, especially with a little twitch through the swing and hang.
The river bottom is full of olive, tan, brown and green caddis worms.
The only bigger fish I'm catching are still those 12-15 inch bows. Been getting tougher and tougher each week for bigger fish.
 Not complaining mind you but those little trout get to be a bit annoying.
Can't wait for the water to cool.

dano
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/01 19:55:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: D-nymph
 I like the sinking line because I think having the line beneath the surface, rather than from the top down, gives big streamers (5-6+" long) a better action and keeps it lower in the water column for a longer time.

Alot of my streamers have big lead barbell eyes, and/or lead wrapped around the bare hook shank when tied.

Yes.
I use heavy sink tips and large, lightly weighted and/or unweighted bunny/marabou streamers on the river. I try to work the middle third of the column. Agressive fish will come up to eat it,,,,sometimes.
heavily weighted flies just gets to be too tiring on me, cast after cast.
I'm using my single hander 7 weight rod when targeting the bigger fish with big flies.
You can definitley fish more effectively and cover more water with rapalas.
One of these days I might bring out the old spinning rod.

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/02 10:06:18 (permalink)
dano,

would you like to meet up & fish that area sometime before winter sets in?  I've actually never fished the tailraces.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/02 21:14:06 (permalink)
D,
Anytime.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 08:57:04 (permalink)
Headed up this morning...
If you're out around Dixon, I'll be there hoping this coming front might turn on some fish....
Flow is at 2200, cool and deep...

jolie
Expert Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 09:18:23 (permalink)
I was going to post a full report of last friday which was one of my favorite fishing trips.. but I think i'll just give you the pic and leave it at that.

Kinzua Trout are SO beautiful.  Rainbows seem to be much less desireable up at the tailwaters,but they don't deserve second billing.  They are large beautiful, strong fish that can really be alot of fun.

while some rainbows, sparkle like a 20" spoon (and look a lot like fresh steel), I've noticed others taking a distinctly reder hue.  look at the guy in the picture, I wonder what causes such an intense color?  Genes I guess.

Recently, I haven't seen alot of browns caught by anybody, but the rainbows are still biting.

anyways I'm not trying to  brag, but I really enjoyed the fish and felt it was too beautiful to hide any longer.  He (or she) is still in the river.  go to it guys.
I also thought it might be inspirational to some anglers that haven't had the luck or time to bumble into one of the "beasts of Kinzua"

good luck, bing.  I did notice all the caddis now that you mention it.  but there're just spitting off the water off and on. I didn't see any real major hatching going on.
post edited by jolie - 2010/09/03 09:19:25
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3105
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 09:25:32 (permalink)
nice info guys, I'm hoping to make a trip to the tailwaters in October so hopefully the water temps will be right for some great fishing
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 12:59:44 (permalink)
I just found my new keystone avatar 

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 16:55:27 (permalink)
Hit up the tailwaters today for a couple hours...

Did a couple hours with the Spinning tackle and a couple with the fly rod..
Should have started with the fly rod as the fish were rising all over when I got out in the slot...
Seemed to be some #14 dark caddis coming off..Picked up half a dozen on top....
Saw some fella almost get hit with a canoe, he had to put his hands out and push them away from him..

No big fish pics, will have to leave that up to Jolie (for now)...
So all I gots is some bugs and scenery pics.....

post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/09/03 16:56:25

jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 17:01:34 (permalink)
ur shots are getting better and better... are you editing or are those original?

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 17:06:09 (permalink)
A little tweeking....

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/03 18:18:46 (permalink)
Great pics bings! Love the little guy trying to look impressive with the big pinchers in that last shot...
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/04 09:53:05 (permalink)
Jolie nice fish!
Bings, sorry you didn't get into any of those, but the scenery and pics are top notch! You catch enough fish for 3 guys anyway :)

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/04 10:12:57 (permalink)
Bings,
 those were olive caddis you saw, though color doesn't really matter much there.
Nice pics.

Jolie,
Glad to here the night bite is still good. Hasn't been so good for the morning till evening guys like me.
outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/04 15:20:21 (permalink)
Jason, Nice looking Rainbow! Congrats.

bingsbaits, great pics! I always enjoy seeing your pictures.

I'm heading up to the tailwaters in a few hours with my friend. I'm still hoping for a big Brown but I'll gladly "settle" for a big Rainbow.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8511
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/04 22:29:31 (permalink)
Thanks Gary, nice shots. :)

outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/05 11:26:07 (permalink)
Lost a big Brown last night.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/05 11:42:41 (permalink)

No No..

Glass half full..

You hooked and fought a Big Brown last night...

I know they are there and it's just a matter of time if I can keep puttin flies/lures in their face....

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/05 22:57:03 (permalink)
I've never really fished the tailwaters. But if you're looking for big browns, that defensive little guy in Bing's last picture is a great bait.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Tailwaters 2010/09/06 11:32:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

No No..

Glass half full..

You hooked and fought a Big Brown last night...

I know they are there and it's just a matter of time if I can keep puttin flies/lures in their face....

I was sooooo close. Just as my friend was about to net it the fish thrashed its head and broke my line about a foot from the net. Beautiful male with a hooked jaw and great coloration about 24 inches or so. I needed to bring the bigger net. Lesson learned...painfully.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to: