milldew problem

Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/27 16:23:59 (permalink)

milldew problem

I keep my pontoon at a dock at Deep Creek, Md. and I have it covered most of the time. Lately I have seen a lot of milldew on the seats and was wondering if there is any good way to remove it and keep it from coming back? Tried different cleaners and it keeps coming back.

12 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/27 16:52:50 (permalink)
    Buy or build an ozone generator
    The O3 kills mold and mildew

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 06:51:19 (permalink)
    Bleach???
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 07:19:50 (permalink)
    Bleachwater or lysol will kill mildew. Lysol treatment helps keep it from coming back.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 09:10:17 (permalink)
    need fresh air use a fan if you have to by a solar
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 09:21:21 (permalink)
    Keeping it covered is trapping the moisture.  Don't button it up so tight and let it breath a little and a quick spray of Lysol disinfectant before you cover it up (on the seats, carpet and inside of your cover) should keep most of the mold/mildew out.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 11:16:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Keeping it covered is trapping the moisture.  Don't button it up so tight and let it breath a little and a quick spray of Lysol disinfectant before you cover it up (on the seats, carpet and inside of your cover) should keep most of the mold/mildew out.

Yep. If its not breathing you'll get the mildew and mold. If it seal up pretty tight, try a 5 gallon bucket with about 4-5 inches of calcium chloride in it while you're gone. it will suck up a lot of moisture.. ( I know, the boat is sitting on water). The only other thing to do is have some vets put in to let it breath. The problem is when it cools over night, the humidity gets trapped and when the sun hits it, with this cycle...you've got the perfect environment for mold and mildew.

I cover my boat when I'm gone but have a bigger problem with spiders moving in. The No Pest strips from lowes takes care of those thankfully!

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 11:25:45 (permalink)
    Deep Creek Lake...........loved living in that area.........

www.2bonthewater.com
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/28 17:34:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

Yep. If its not breathing you'll get the mildew and mold. If it seal up pretty tight, try a 5 gallon bucket with about 4-5 inches of calcium chloride in it while you're gone. it will suck up a lot of moisture.. ( I know, the boat is sitting on water). The only other thing to do is have some vets put in to let it breath. The problem is when it cools over night, the humidity gets trapped and when the sun hits it, with this cycle...you've got the perfect environment for mold and mildew.

I cover my boat when I'm gone but have a bigger problem with spiders moving in. The No Pest strips from lowes takes care of those thankfully!

"Monkey Balls" (Osage Oranges) will keep the spiders away...
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: milldew problem 2010/07/29 07:56:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

"Monkey Balls" (Osage Oranges) will keep the spiders away...
    Osage Oranges

I have a feeling the spiders at my dock would eat the oranges. Sometimes there are herds of them!

Little buggers like to reproduce in my flip out drink holders too.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: milldew problem 2010/08/01 16:44:24 (permalink)
    Be careful with cleaning the mildew. I just did my pontoon about two months ago and never conditioned the seats and they are now cracking severly. I did condition them with two coats of a 3M product when I got the first little crack but it made no difference they are now ruined!
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: milldew problem 2010/08/01 19:57:09 (permalink)
    my parents pontoon did the same...my dad always used clorox clean up....2 or 3 times a year...

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: milldew problem 2010/08/06 20:18:03 (permalink)
    Bought the 3M products at Gander Mt. and went to Deep Creek today and cleaned the mildew off the seats. Mildew remover and mildew blocker was the name of each. The remover worked great. Hope the blocker works as well. As an added bonus to the trip we had a sow bear and three cubs cross in front of us on New Germany Rd. on the way home.
    Jump to: