RAGE

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 10:20:23 (permalink)
I just gotta wonder Mike, why there is so much focus on the fastest bows in today's world. And why most of us shoot well over the required poundage to effectively kill a deer. I guess folks are looking for maximum performance, but for some reason folks buying the fastest bows, cranking them up to peak, doesn't draw the attention expandables do. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's the broadhead penerating the animal, not the bow itself.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 10:29:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishin coyote

Jon,

"I didn't say we have to have pass thrus. The above situation is proof that mechancials don't match the performance of fixed."

How can the above situation be proof that mechs. don't match fixed in performance. ??????
The deer is DEAD AND RECOVERED is it not?
Mike

Yes, the end result is the same, the deer is dead. 30 yards, I feel is typical of a good shot. I look at it from maximum performance and so does he. See my above comment on the fastest bows.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 10:35:53 (permalink)
The question must also be asked, why have rage come out with new "stronger" heads ? Probably to address of the concerns in the market. The market usually reveals the truth.

Here is a comment from rage that justify's my point.

4. Features
Slipcam Rear Blade Deployment System keeps energy and power through impact on into the target. Accuracy of a field tip with deadly impact of a fixed blade broadhead.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Products/Titanium-Broadhead.php

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 10:46:54 (permalink)
not trying to be objective here to anything thats been said but, you also have to think about the additional damage that gets done while the rage is still in the deer and it's running full tilt after it gets shot... can't be pretty to have razor blades bouncing around and should cause it to bleed out faster.  But at the same time if you hit the deer high and it doesnt pass through you're not going to have a great blood trail until the body cavity fills... so a complete pass through would be nicer in that aspect
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:13:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I did not use the word all. I did say always defending. If you want to play the manipulation game, we can go there.

"But it certainly is interesting that it's the expandable guys always defending their broadheads yet every 2-3 years, they are trying something new."

When you refer to "the expandable guys" you're painting with a broad brush. To me it sounds as if you grouping all the guys who shoot expandables together, and saying we all switch heads because we've all had performance problems. If that wasn't your intent then it's fine, I just interpereted it differently. It looks like esox did too.

One a side note...all mechanical heads are different. There's no doubt the large diameter heads lack penetration at times. That's why I avoid them. Before I shot the Tekans I shoot now, I was shooting rocket steelheads. They're cutting diameter was 1.25", which is half the diameter of a Rage and would penetrate just as well as anything else i've used. I guess what I'm trying to say is, not all mechanical heads are comparable. Comparing the rage to all the other mechanicals would be the same as comparing the core maxx to all the other fixed blades, when it's obvious they're not going to penetrate as well.

The heads I use serve me well. I haven't had a deer go out of my sight in the past 6 years. I'm not going to claim they are better than fixed, but they are as good. I judge that by all the deer I killed with them, all the short blood trails, and all the pass throughs.

If my mechanical heads ever fail me. I promise to let Jon know so he can start a thread titled "I told you so". Maybe that can replace the tired sucker jokes about me that he and Dardys seem to be running out of.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:13:26 (permalink)
More damage would be done if the blades don't break or bend. I can't say fixed blades will never break, but having a blade connected to the ferrule in two places is stronger than connected at one.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:22:24 (permalink)
"Maybe that can replace the tired sucker jokes about me that he and Dardys seem to be running out of."

The sucker jokes are not tired and we certainly have not run out of them.  We are just taking it a little easy on you.  Its a long ride to the One Fly you know.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:25:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

"Maybe that can replace the tired sucker jokes about me that he and Dardys seem to be running out of."

The sucker jokes are not tired and we certainly have not run out of them.  We are just taking it a little easy on you.  Its a long ride to the One Fly you know.

With my luck I'll catch a monster sucker at the one fly, and it will be an even longer ride home.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:36:05 (permalink)
And thanks for admitting you switched from sidewinders because of performance. Proved my point in which you were questioning. Which begs the question.. what good are large expanding blades once they hit ribs and bend to all hell. Less effective for sure.

Nice try to "manipulate" what I said.

I switched because of the reviews I had heard from of the archers in my area. But, when I am speaking of durability, the chisel tips on them would dull and sometimes chip and were unable to be sharpened. There was nothing wrong with them and I had no trouble putting deer down with them, I was just ready to try something else. Plus my shop didn't carry the replacement tips/blades so I got tired of ordering them.

You speak about how much technology has increased in bows and other equipment; so why wouldn't broadheads be the same? The Rockets I was shooting were likely a 15-20+ YO design and believe it or not technology has increased since then....
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 11:45:18 (permalink)
And when they dull or chip, that can affect performance.

I never said broadheads haven't improved. But a blade connected to a ferrule once isn't as durable as connected twice.

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 12:06:46 (permalink)
Do the chisel tips on fixed blades dull or chip?
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 12:31:02 (permalink)
Obviously that would depend on quality.

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 12:47:36 (permalink)
So after you shoot a deer your blades/tip don't dull? Never have chipped? Do you have to sharpen/replace blades after shooting/killing a deer with them?

Since I know you are really good at splitting hairs let me explain this a little better; it really wasn't a durability issue with the Rockets per say, it was more of a maintenance thing. Being that the replacements(tips) were not easily accessible was the biggest drawback of them for me. I have not bent/broke any blades/tips on any Rages and I can buy new blades/tips just about anywhere.....
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 12:58:04 (permalink)
I understand.

I have never chipped a tip. And I never reused a broadhead. I get my heads set the way I want, let the new blades and tips in the package. Put the blades and tips I didn't use the previous year on. I shoot the them in. Then put the new tips and blades on a few days before the season. As I shoot throughout the season at targets, I remove the good blades and tips and use the old ones.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 13:08:07 (permalink)
The best example of blood vessels I have found is a stretched rubberband. We use a 2X4 with nails at each end with a rubberband stretched around it for hunter safety and bowhunter education courses. Dull blades, even the one year old unused blades struggle to cut the rubberband, often times can't, while new blades out of the package cut on contact. Just touching the band snaps it. Air itself apparently dulls blades overtime.

Yeah, I'm anal when it comes to the sharpness of blades.

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 13:21:19 (permalink)
As well you should be. Blade sharpness is important.

My guess would be that the year old blades are dulling from oxidation.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: RAGE 2010/08/11 22:08:26 (permalink)
Don't forget to mention that you are shooting 80 some pounds and MM is shooting 90 or so. If I was chicken, I'd want to know that.

It would be along the same parallels as me picking up the fastest fly rod on the market, overlining it, and when someone asks about it, telling them it's not that fast without the rest of the story. Shooting that kind of poundage is an exception.

Which also begs the question, why do you shoot that poundage ? Why does anyone shoot over 50 pounds ? Probably all the same reasons; performance.

I was shooting 83#'s on my Safari Custom.

I now(last season-current) shoot 72 out of my Reezen. 
Chicken's bow is shootin heavier and faster than what I am shootin now.

To answer your question why I shot that poundage...because I can.  It's not hard for me to pull, it doesn't hurt me.  Hell I draw it with 2 fingers. 
The "Reezen" I switched was for the shorter axle to axle length.  If they made a short axle-axle bow in 80-100lbs, you can bet your****I'd have it.

That 150"er I shot a couple years back...I hit him square in the knuckle of the shoulder with the 83# Safari and a Rage 2b.  Got 6" of penetration.  One lung.  He went 200 yards.  4yr old deer, 200#'s.
If I would have been shooting 50#'s, he surely would've twitched at the impact of the arrow, looked up at me and laughed.
The poor shot I made was compensated by the bow I was shooting.  To this day, I say, if it weren't for that bow, that deer would've died a long slow death.  Not good.
Oh yeah, and about that broadhead, it never bent, chipped or twisted.  That says alot to me.   I shot the tagged doe with the same head 2 days later after cleaning and touching up the blades.  It now resides in the "killed" pile.
I broke blades on NAP Crossfires(fixed) shootin into a Block but it didn't convince me to stop using them.  I killed a pile of deer with them too.

Good luck this season.

I got my "mowing" boots on!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: RAGE 2010/08/14 08:49:09 (permalink)
Silver i emialed rage before i left to go to the beach.They have not responded.I wanna to know what is the main difference is between the titanium and the regulars.I know there titanium but how will that give you more penetration?I think it could be a sales gimmick because the hype of there heads my be dying down?I generate almost 73 pounds of KE out of my bow but i think my arrows my be to light for hunting the only problem is a shoot a hha one pin sight.I would have to remove my sight tape and start all over with an heavier arrow.I did the figuring with a 420 grain slowing the bow as much as it would i would still generate the same amount of KE but the momentum will increase is this a big deal or not?One more thing i read an article about this the other week if you guys are like me i get all work up when i see a good buck.So i think you may not have good form or you may even torque your bow when you encounter mr.big.I think if he's close this won't have no effect on fixed blade flight but if he's 35 or so yards this may be something to think about.
BriPghFD
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: RAGE 2010/08/16 16:34:06 (permalink)
Personally. I made the switch and will NEVER look back! Took a decent buck last year ( i dont kill does) and the 2 blade made an absolute mess of his insides. The arrow hit the opposing shoulder and stopped, probably wasnt the best shooting angle... Im still impressed with them. Best broadhead i have ever shot hands down.

Hoyt Bows
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: RAGE 2010/08/16 20:09:15 (permalink)
Ironhed,

Hoyt makes the Maxxis 31" with the dangerous game limbs to 90#.....Just sayin..you brought it up.....Don't blame me if you end up having to get one

By the way....they are addicting to shoot.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/16 20:53:09 (permalink)
I didn't know that MM.  Thanks.
Even though I'm not a big fan of the "Rotten Apples", I may look for one to shoot.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: RAGE 2010/08/16 22:12:05 (permalink)
My last "Rotten Apple" was rated to 70 lbs. We "tuned" it up to 91 lbs and shot it that way for 8 years. It was 16 and shooting great till I retired it. I am also still shooting the Hoyt my dad bought me in 1990, it still shoots very well also. So if nothing else, they are reliable.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: RAGE 2010/08/17 19:50:17 (permalink)
OK, thanks.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: RAGE 2010/09/15 09:13:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BriPghFD

Personally. I made the switch and will NEVER look back! Took a decent buck last year ( i dont kill does) and the 2 blade made an absolute mess of his insides. The arrow hit the opposing shoulder and stopped, probably wasnt the best shooting angle... Im still impressed with them. Best broadhead i have ever shot hands down.

+1...Firm Believer...Never had one run outta sight with Rage (5 and counting)...Absolutely devastating....Still on my 1st set...Just keep buying replacement packages every season...Was a muzzy guy before, but I just wasn't comfortable with the accuracy of them...With Rage, I know where I put my Pin is where is gonna plow...Total confidence is the key...

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: RAGE 2010/09/15 12:21:33 (permalink)
This broadhead debate reminds me of the ones my dad and his buddies used to have in deer camp in the 50's about the best rifle and bullet. Lots of fun, most are opinions so no one is real wrong, and most bullets/broadheads will do the job with a proper hit. I have a book with photos of nearly all the broadheads put out from 1871 to 1971 (over 2000). Imagine how many more since then. All are designed or improved with one thing in mind, (separate the hunter from his money).Just like womens clothes, the styles change every year (new and improved)because just like women we always want/need to try something different. It's been that way since the cave man and no reason to think it will ever change.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: