crossbows and the end of the world as we know it.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/07/25 18:46:51 (permalink)
I've used Xbows in Ohio since 92 and compound bows,ANY weapon that a hunter can master to get the job done,is the right weapon,many of deer have been wounded with bows,rifles and flintlocks,and X bows, any hunter who says they never lost a deer is a liar.I've killed piles but hit a few through the year that where not recoverd.Thats part of the game we don't like,and can grind in your mind for a long time. I rather see a guy master a X bow ,than be a arrow flinger with a bow.We must all know our limitation,with any weapon.
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/07/25 19:42:42 (permalink)
I myself practice out to 60 yards but doubt i would take that shot.Somedays i can drive nails at 60 other days i can't do that.I say start at 20 yards move back 5 yards incerment when you can put 5 out of 5 in a 8 inch pie everytime keeping moving back till you can't.I can drive arrows out to 45 to 50 yards everytime but isn't archery a close game i rather them be under 25 yards.I was shooting out to 90 yards this winter but it was causing bad habits so i stop at 60 yards.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/07/26 17:52:31 (permalink)
Once again I have no dbout that people can practice and shoot well at those distances, but broadheads complicate that issue. I just don't personally believe that archery is about hunting deer that are 50 - 100 yards away. The fun of the season is having them at 0-30.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/07/26 18:29:40 (permalink)
I know this is beating a dead horse, but I'll say it anyway.  A lot of the arrow rifle post-inception anger could have been subdued a bit if the PGC grew a spine and kept with the open sights requirement. I don't see how they couldn't have grandfathered in all the disability permits already issued.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/07/26 20:13:06 (permalink)
I think the open sights objection was more from hunters who owned crossbows used in other states, more so than the disability guys. I heard it from a lot of people here in 1A that hunt Ohio with scopes on thier x-guns.

BriPghFD
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 16:44:37 (permalink)
Im on the fence about this one. Once they allowed the Xbows i seen an influx of xbow hunters in allegheny co. every little nook and cranny of the city woods too. They are a great weapon of choice for our youth and older hunters. but seriously, if you cant draw a bow, sit still, and be patient... should u even consider yourself an "Archery" hunter???????

Hoyt Bows
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 20:05:30 (permalink)
The only redeeming factor (and I am sure I will take some heat for this), is that my son who is 8 can now hunt archery season on his mentored tag with an x-bow. He shoots it very well and can continue to do so until his draw weight is up to hunting levels on his vertical equipmment.

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 20:13:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr
 is that my son who is 8 can now hunt archery season on his mentored tag with an x-bow. He shoots it very well and can continue to do so until his draw weight is up to hunting levels on his vertical equipmment.

Glad to see that Musky.  There are some pretty strong statistics from Ohio's long crossbow history that shows that kids that start hunting early with crossbows eventually switch to compound or traditional equipment by their late teens.  It is a positive tool to increase interest in archery in general. 

My rifle is a black rifle
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 20:51:29 (permalink)
The only redeeming factor (and I am sure I will take some heat for this), is that my son who is 8 can now hunt archery season on his mentored tag with an x-bow. He shoots it very well and can continue to do so until his draw weight is up to hunting levels on his vertical equipmment.

I wouldn't give you any grief for that.  When I was 8 or 9 I got a 20lb compound bow for Christmas.  I practiced constantly and dreamed of the day I could draw a real bow.  Best I could do was chase rabbits in the back yard.  By the time I was 12 I had saved enough to buy a legitimate hunting bow and I was seasoned back yard shooter (so I thought).  Not sure where I'm going with this story, but if there were other options available (arrow-rifle or mentored youth), I'm sure I would have pestered my old man into taking me out.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 22:14:58 (permalink)
He shoots his compound very well and is up to around 35 lbs draw weight on it. I think by the time he is 10 he will be pulling (and shooting well) in the low 40's range and able to switch.

The grief I am expecting has been from a lot of older sportsmen in my area who don't like the mentored program.

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/16 23:16:17 (permalink)
"The grief I am expecting has been from a lot of older sportsmen in my area who don't like the mentored program."

LoL, F them, those old hicks wish they had their youth back.  Just laugh in their face if they say anything to you about that.  I hope the boy shoots a state record!

As far as crossbows are concerned, they will always be people who have no business in the woods out there wounding deer, taking too long of shots, etc.  No matter what they use to hunt with.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/17 00:22:46 (permalink)
Actually the comment I got after he shot his gobbler this spring was that "Those kids have no business out there before us!"

The second comment was that "It takes a lot of balls to take that kid out and shoot a bird that I've been watching for a month"

that bird was on a sportsman's club property that is open to public hunting without permission.

So at the next meeting when that particular guy (who didn't have the guts to say it to my face) was in attendance, I brought in a can of flourescent paint and instructed anyone who was watching a particular bird or animal, to go out an "mark" them with the paint so that the kids didn't shoot "thier" birds.

I agree F them f'n arseholes.

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: crossbows and the end of the world as we know it. 2010/08/17 00:23:33 (permalink)
Sorry to hijack.....back to the subject....

F x-guns for us non mentor/non-disabled F'ers....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: