Author
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/18 17:29:01 (permalink)

Fished my first still water... sort of.

Hi guys

Just got in from the water. No pictures as this was an exploratory trip and I wanted to learn the fishing rather than take pictures. Next time I'll have full pics.

Some of you may know that stillwaters for trout are very popular over here. You can fish from smaller ponds up to huge reservoirs for trout. Some lakes (and most of the lochs) have native populations of fish (usually browns) and some are stocked. Tonight I fished a local one that I have never been to. In this case, the owners dug a big horseshoe shape and diverted some of the water from the chalkstream nearby. The pond is ~40-50' across at the widest and ~300 yards long if you walk around the outside edge. It isn't a big water, but what makes it unique is that the diverted stream water gives it a flow. At the head and tail ends of the pond, there is a fairly significant flow. As such, this place it more like fishing a big pool in a stream rather than a pond. The middle of the pool has minimal movement so it fishes like a pond, but the ends fish like a head and tailout.

Tonight the fish were tough. It was super windy so I broke out the 7 wt to start with and I was glad I had it. It was slow all night until the last hour or so. Fish rose all evening to tiny midges, but they are so selective that with the wind it was impossible. With about an hour to go the wind died and I fished the head of the pond with a tiny midge/larva fly under a tiny indicator on some 6/7X. I caught a couple with the best going 20". I saw one cruising that was a double digit fish. It was an interesting night of fishing for sure. If you ever get the chance to try stillwater fishing for trout (with a fly rod) I recommend it. It is very different to fishing a stream.

Link to place:

http://www.wansfordfishery.co.uk/

Thanks,
Rick

5 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Fished my first still water... sort of. 2010/07/19 17:07:58 (permalink)
    Rick,

It is good to see that you are taking advantage of your time in the UK.

Now when are you going on that driven hunt?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fished my first still water... sort of. 2010/07/22 13:30:06 (permalink)
    maybe this fall. I'll have to get a 'proper' gun though. My Franchi semi won't be allowed.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fished my first still water... sort of. 2010/07/22 13:38:56 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,

I went back last night and as promised here are a couple pictures, though none of fish that I caught. I caught 6 or 7, nothing huge, but nothing under 14" or so. All in the 14-18" range, with one that took me almost into my backing. I'm starting to get them figured out though. After the first trip I tied up some CDC black midges which worked wonders on the cruising fish. This time I learned that a little bit of an active swing on a midge larva drives them nuts. And of course there was the obligatory fish caught on a streamer.

Water inlet- About 12' wide at the opening of the concrete works:

Looking down 3/4 the length of one bank:

She was big, but she wasn't hungry. About a 4 lb fish, 22" class:

Some nice foliage shots:

Never know what you're going to see when out fishing.

Thanks,
    Rick
    post edited by casts_by_fly - 2010/07/22 13:39:56
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Fished my first still water... sort of. 2010/07/23 09:28:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

maybe this fall. I'll have to get a 'proper' gun though. My Franchi semi won't be allowed.

You are correct.  They will want to see two barrels -- doesn't matter which way they are stacked.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Fished my first still water... sort of. 2010/07/26 08:49:55 (permalink)
    nice pics keep up the good work and keep after them.
    Jump to: