allegheny river canoe trip

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
  • Reward points: 0
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/11 17:38:05 (permalink)
well if nebody cares to take a look at this the trip itself was awesome got lost on our way to warren so said heck with it got droped off at buckaloons no more then 10 minutes r ride was gone the heavens poured out from above down pour for about 5 hours leaving us gear and everything for that fact soaked to the bone miserable seen a litte pavillion stop made hot dogs back on the river in a nice drizzle untied canoes and my bro n friends g-pa made a trip from 8 miles about tidioute to west hickory in about 9 hours me and my friend brad got behind after tossin him a beer and him droping it in the water we made circles in the river for about an hour trying to get it lmao back to paddleing takin short brakes to cast i found a nice stretch to try the musky tackle after 30 or so casts came up on a log 1 cast to the front nothing though on the 2nd had a real bruiser followed my plug in im ing 45-52'' i couldnt belive it after doin somes figure 8s he swam out of sight the trip produced no fish at all but it was fun camped out on an island made weiners and beans meanwhile not knowing the other 2 were at camp getin drunk, after struggling to make a fire on the island something runing through the tall grass made us on edge checking tracks in the morning in the muddy bankk their were several bear tracks whcih was fine , didnt care to hang food away from us left food out 10 ft away just to wake up and find 2 baby coons in the garbage bag all in all the trip was fun next time will travel lighter bring live bait and put stuff in water proof buckects/containers it was a nice trip ruined 2 cameras 2 phones lost 2 lures managed not to capsize and found out my sportsman square stern canoe is a ship very stable we were both able to stand and fish though this post is a total run on sentence and just getting back im to tired to correct it but again i thank every1 for posting and helping out ive learned a valuable lesson plan better and dont listen to the weather man, he was wrong
smallie2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/11 19:22:10 (permalink)
Too bad about everything getting wet. I carry every thing in a couple drybags, get the clear ones, you can see what you need. Most kayak supplies have them. No fish is the bummer.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/12 00:56:51 (permalink)
Glad you had a good time. Surprised you didn't catch fish that section always produces. Experience is always the best teacher. Plan on going again ??
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Take Rain Gear !

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/12 00:59:44
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/12 09:21:52 (permalink)
Sorry to hear you had a rough time... no matter how much you plan the weather is a wild card. Don't let it discourage you from trying again!
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/12 13:19:13 (permalink)
im not discouraged at all it sucked alot lol but i had a alot of fun i was at lowes the other day and bought two 10 gallon buckets and it fits everything that i brought with me on the trip, they have lids and hopefully will keep my stuff dry even though there was no fish caught it didnt bother me as for doing it again its allready in the making except this time were thinking of doing kenerdell to emlenton the only part i didnt like was the whole way on r trip there was either camps on 1 side or a highway on the other. the whole reason me and my buddy brad wanted to do it was b/c we thought we were gonna be in the middle of nowhere and a few ppl told the this route is a bit more scenic and remote , also ill make sure i have more then just my musky box with 8 plugs in it, instead of leaving my other box on the wrong canoe and well have minows and crawlers and hell mayb some leeches also i have a decent throw away camera in a waterproof case if anyone could back this info up on it being more remote, scenic ill be very happy again any info is appreciated thank you very much
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/12 14:41:13 (permalink)
Google Earth is your friend ! It will show every building, road, ect. I dont think it will be any different. Sounds like you are looking for a river trip like in the movie Deliverance.
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/12 14:43:29
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/12 15:11:56 (permalink)
yeah u got it without the squealing like a pig part and the 2 red necks, we wanna spend a week on the river from warren to pitt but neither of us can get that much time off im checkin out google earth now though thanks
bubblegumworm
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/23 23:02:44 (permalink)
Hey moo, I fish muskies from a kayak as long as there isn't ice on the water and these are the landing tool I use- boca style lip gripper, Lindy gloves w/ cutproof "superfabric",Pliers at leaast 11" long, (jawspreaders and bolt cutters if needed). Hope this helps. measuring tape 60" on paddle.

As far as being pulled around I haven't been fortunate enough to have that experience yet.My largest was a 45" winter fish and a 42" summer fish. Seems there is a little of reeling the fish to me and me reeling to the fish. Even with 6-8lb line on a suprise musky the line doesn't usually break for me on a kayak as I am noa in a fixed position like a shore fisherman and I offer little resistance unlike a boat.
PHOTOJIM
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/24 00:02:36 (permalink)
Last Sunday my son landed 6 20 plus inch catfish on an 4 foot ultra light and 4 lb test line.  We did have to maneuver the canoe around a little because they would pull us into the trees.  Landed all but one then he was on shore and lost the one he caught there.  The canoe gives a lot of give when fighting the fish.
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/25 23:24:10 (permalink)
Actually it is ALOT different . On the upper portions route 62 paralells the river ( Warren to Tionesta ) from Kennerdell to Emlenton there are remote places where only the old railroad bed follows the river and islands to camp on ... The ONLY section I overnight float is Franklin to Emlenton since I'm a bull milker from way back LMAO .

Tionesta to Oil City is probably remote too I never tried that stretch but given the steep terrain it is probably good too just remember the oil city strainer it is one area you may want to portage around or get out prior to it if you float that section .
post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/07/25 23:26:46
swampman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/26 12:31:13 (permalink)
Moo if you really want a remote canoe trip, try the upper clarion river around Ridgeway.  Mostly a trout and SM trip, but wooded and you can camp out on shore on the national forest side of the river.

roehead
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/08/09 13:19:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bearfisherman

We float Franklin to Kennerdell often - it is a nice two day trip. Camp on the islands, can take time to fish good spots. Only thing that stinks is there always seems to be a head wind as soon as you leave the islands.

Where do you get out at Kennerdell?
bearfisherman
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/08/09 16:55:15 (permalink)
We pay at the boat launch right before the bridge. The old boat shop, but now you can just leave the money at the house. $5.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: