Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/30 18:01:47 (permalink)

allegheny river canoe trip

well after planning for 3 months were finally gonna do it making a trip from point park in warren to tionesta or mayb emlenton. im not looking for any special bait or secret mayb a heads up not sure how the rapids are or what fully to expect nething u wanna share will be appreciated, how ever i would like to hook into a decent size musky ive seen them caught in this stretch but never myself whats better live bait or lures like i said any input is greatly appreciated

42 Replies Related Threads

smallie2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/06/30 19:18:03 (permalink)
    Moo I normally float from franklin to fishermens cove, lots of smallmouth. Not any rapids to worry about, but give the jet boats room. Good luck, its a great float
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 01:02:17 (permalink)
    Hey MOOO,I was up last weekend and the river is low. I dont think you will have any problems. As far as musky fishing I throw artificials but suckers are always good live bait. To be honest you just never know what one will take. As Smallie said give us jetboaters some room. Last Friday we were coming down river at dusk and some fisherman were standing in the channel. we move over to miss them and injested a rock that locked the motor. We never got to the Tidioute launch until 11:00 PM. Good Luck and be safe !!
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 09:18:46 (permalink)
    I think Warren to Emlenton is too far to go in one day. 

water level is low so while I wouldn't worry about rapids, I'd keep an eye out for rocks.  

I'm sure that both live bait and artificials will work for musky.  but I think live bait will slow you down more, and a floating rapalla, 5-7", thrown against the current seams is pretty awesome for quite a few fish.  Look for eddies and structure.  You're most likely to catch like 10,000 smallmouth but the possibility of a musky is always there.  trout, walleye, and pike are also possible.

I think that If you intend to anchor and cast, Even warren to tionesta will seem like a very long ways indeed.  Warren to tidioute is possible, people do it, and it allows you the time to really work the eddies.

that is pretty much all the advice I can offer.  if you do a search back on threads, members have spilled quite a few beans back onto this subject.  As its something that some people do pretty regularly.

Good luck
    post edited by jolie - 2010/07/01 09:21:18
    swampman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 09:51:29 (permalink)
    My experience with float trips is whatever amount of the river you think you can cover initially is to cut that at least in half.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken on too much river/creek and been frustrated because I had to get to my end point for a ride or whatever.  I'd rather float 2 miles and fish it hard than float 10 and pass up lots of promising spots.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 11:25:54 (permalink)
    Warren to Franklin in a day is pushing it imo
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 11:28:27 (permalink)
    I fish Franklin to Emlenton .... It is a long trip especially if the wind is blowing up river .... Lots of flatwater good mix of flowing rapids .... I highly recommend an electric trolling motor with 2 batteries . Smallmouth , Pike , Musky are in good numbers .... Walleye if you know where to look .

That float is 40 miles of river water takes me two days from 7 am until 5 PM stay at danners rest area or one of the islands .. ( watch out for bees on the islands ).

second day put in early 7 am finish around 5 PM in Emlenton . Maps are available under PF&BC / water trails ( middle allegheny) watch the rapid about 2 miles above emlenton it can be tough ( lots of submerged rocks in quick water ).

bearfisherman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 12:43:51 (permalink)
    We float Franklin to Kennerdell often - it is a nice two day trip. Camp on the islands, can take time to fish good spots. Only thing that stinks is there always seems to be a head wind as soon as you leave the islands.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 13:13:48 (permalink)
    thanks for all the good info guys im allready making a few changes, as for the trip i failed to mention we are spending a night on the river, now i also have another question my friend said animals were gonna be a problem. a wondering bear mayb i have a carry permit is it even worth takin or not, thanks again guys any imformation is appreciated
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 13:58:25 (permalink)
    I dont think you will have any bear problems at night.I asume you will proboly have a fire.Just use common sence and you will be fine. Having a GPS is nice you always know where your at and how far to your destination. Dont forget the sun screen and have a great time.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/01 18:03:31 (permalink)
    No food in the tent hang up the cooler ..... Had problems with skunks eating ALL MY marshmellows not bears yet but you never know they do frequent Venango County
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/02 09:45:59 (permalink)
    dealing with animals is a part of camping around here.  prevention is the solution not gun-fire.

basically, its like this, if everything that smells good is up a tree, and your site is free from food (bones, half-eaten ham sandwich, etc) your OK.  Odors, nibbles left out, etc. espacially in a tent is very bad news.  bears are just the brawniest of many animals that will take advantage of any "feeding" situation.

A campfire will also discourage wildlife (to a point). 

-------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard of a bear attack in a long time (though It wouldn't surprise if they have been some I haven't heard about) and given the amount of people in the woods (both in campsites and not) during the summer, and some people's irresponsible habits about this, I think you might be safer in the woods, bears in all, than you are in the average house in the average suburb.
    Jason
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/02 10:31:50 (permalink)
    I couldn't agree more . Bears will generally avoid you unless you tempt them with food or get between them and their cubs. Bears around the res. are used to campers leaving out food and become a nusance. You must put coolers up high or in a vehicle. My buddy has pics of a small bear up on his truck looking for a bite to eat. Camping on the islands should be pretty safe from bears. Like Jason said don't leave food laying around. If taking a gun makes you feel better than so be it. A gun left home is better than one at the bottom of the river. Their will be many canoers out this weekend. Be safe and curtious to your fellow sportsman. Have a gre at weekend!
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/02 17:24:51 (permalink)
    ok guys just 1 more question from warren to tionesta about how far is it were looking to be on the river friday around noon and pull of at 7 is it a 1 night or 2 night trip
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/03 11:02:44 (permalink)
    Just my opinion, but to do Warren to Tionesta in a day you'd need a jetboat and do no dawdling around to boot...and to do it in 7 hours would probably set a world speed record.  I'd say thats a 2 day float for sure but others here may disagree.  Warren to Tidioute in a day is feasible but still would be too much of a full time haul imo to allow for any time for fishing/goofing off/sightseeing, Buckaloons to Tidioute would be a little more doable for a 7 hour float.....
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2989
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/03 11:31:48 (permalink)
    I did a 30 mile trip > Buckaloons to Tionesta when the River was running at a normal June level and it took all day with some serious paddling.
    I've done the 15 mile trip > Tidioute to Tionesta many times in low flow, stopping to fish here and there and it usually takes us anywhere from 7-10 hours, depending on flow and how good the fishing is.
    The smallie fishing is better below Tidioute than above.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 11:18:50 (permalink)
    Kind of hard to believe someone's been "planning for three months" and is asking these things.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 12:13:16 (permalink)
    well nymph if you knew my friends you wouldnt think much of it went from 7 people in 3 canoes to 3 people in 1 and the person whos idea it was for the trip just bailed last nite also we were suppose to go in the begining of may but a freak storm made us cancel and the june trip got cancelled b/c i dislocated my arm but now friday is just 3 days away and i was just looking for some last minute advice or some helpful hints and us 3 being avid outdoorsman/ fisherman i hope to have many pictures to share mabye even that 50+'' musky ive been looking to catch for so long thanks again for everything guys it was all appreciated
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 12:29:29 (permalink)
    mybluecanoe.com has a chart on the different lengths of the river trips they offer and the usual time it takes to float the sections i usually kayak the buckaloons to tionesta trip every year without fishing it takes about 6 hours. ive seen alot of real nice smallies and pike on the trip and have seen musky just above the bridge in tidioute
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 12:34:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: moooooo4me

.... i hope to have many pictures to share mabye even that 50+'' musky ive been looking to catch ....

still I have to wonder out loud, how well you can really catch a 50" musky in a canoe, drifting?  I know for myself I caught a 25" catfish, anchored in the current, and it wasn't all that easy.  the darn thing was dragging me along, my anchor was pulled free then hung up, all the while I was sure that the fish was going to get me sideways to the current and ....

well, I didn't flip & I caught my fish.  but It was close. 

anyone on here chase Big fish on a drifting canoe? is there a technique to not getting dunked??  How do you keep your boat from being dragged all around the river (over rocks, and sideways into riffles, etc)?

Perhaps, Since it was dark and I was solo, It was just harder that it would be on a drift trip.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    after that I had less enthusiasm for canoeing at night for catfish. 
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 12:36:44 (permalink)
    very good question lol i know a decent sized musky can pull a 14 ft aluminum flatbottom all over the lake i dont know if i would want to tackle something like that from a canoe.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 13:21:34 (permalink)
     Just maybe he would get out ov the canoe & wet wade some good lookin' spots????
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 13:28:04 (permalink)
    been on pleanty canoes lot of fish caught the trick is keep urself from going sideways on a river i also have my brother and my friend brad to help out. landed a 37 inch on the shenango in a canoe... and its nothing for a 20 inch fish to start drggin u all over a lake either as for times we will not be on the river at all at night
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 13:33:50 (permalink)
    hey crappie we'll probly be doing alot of wading at night my uncle put me on a good walleye spot on the leeward side of a decent island getting ur jighead crwler/shiner out that far is a nice long cast
    ddubs3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/06 14:32:55 (permalink)
    I usually figure 1 mph if slow fishing and 2 mph if I plan on keeping moving and the water is fast. I can't imagine you could do much more than 1 mph on that stretch and still expect to get in some good fishing.
    PHOTOJIM
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/07 00:56:24 (permalink)
    If your partner in the canoe can do a good job handling it I think you can handle the big fish.  As for a gun I do alot of backpacking and I have had bear up against my tent.  You never keep food near your tent and I will not even eat near my tent. I have packed Montana , Wyoming, Colerado, West Va and Pa and I am more afraid of Racoons and other people then bears.  
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/07 15:07:57 (permalink)
    ok guys leaving tommorow night launching friday about noon any last minute advice tips tricks etc mayb something else to bring help me out guys i wanna have a safe fun trip thanks
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/07 15:15:14 (permalink)
    Take Rain Gear !
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/07 16:04:52 (permalink)
    Take a couple of those cheap 10x10 tarps you can get for a few bucks... they don't weigh anything, can store flat in the canoe as if not there and will be priceless if caught in foul weather, for keeping gear dry or providing a dry barrier between you and the ground or whatever... If it does rain you'll want some newspapers or wood shavings stored in a gallon zippy (and a lighter) to help get a fire started Friday night and a length of thin rope to use as clothesline if you get wet and need to hang up clothes...
     Take a camera of some type! If worried about ruining a good one if you tip then go get a disposable one (they make them for even underwater now)... So you can share some pics when you get back.
    Good luck and have a fun trip!
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river canoe trip 2010/07/07 17:16:47 (permalink)
    thanks fisherlady we all ready got 3 tarps and we have 2 disposable cameras and 2 fire starting logs and when we get back theyll be developed give or take a few days to get them scanned and for me to get them on here, also my friend gets back from iraq in 2 weeks and allready started planning a 2nd trip, again thank you guys/girls for all the help and advice its all very appreciated
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: