spun prop??? help!!

Author
jrm45
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 284
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/26 12:13:28 (permalink)

spun prop??? help!!

i have an issue for all the gear heads out there.... went out for a cruise today. on the way home, running at about 20mph, the engine started to rev and the boat slowed down... now it wont go any faster then 3 - 3.7 mph... it goes into forward gear, and reverse gear fine. just when i give it gas, it revs... talked to a mechanic at my marine, and he thinks the prop is spun. since i do have a spare one, he told me that all i should need to do is replace it, and it should be back to normal.... keep in mind, there was no overheating of the engine (which he said should happen is it was a spun couple), no grinding,cracking, banging noises from the outdrive, no smoking or stalling, and it goes into gear fine.... just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if it really is as simple as changing the prop.... enging is a mercruiser 260 with an alpha 1 drive.... 26' chris craft scorpion.... this is the 3rd season i have had the boat and this is my first problem with it...

thanks,
Jake

4 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: spun prop??? help!! 2010/06/26 12:50:42 (permalink)
    Sounds like a spun hub to me.  They are designed to break away an spin to protect the gearcase in the event of a slight whack to the prop.  You actaully may not have hit anything and it just let go.  I was the Sales Manager for two different boat dealerships for about 10 years and I have seen many of them (and had a few).

To get going immediately, just change your prop.  But the hub can be replaced at a dealer.  We used to send ours to Skip's Props areounf Pittsbugh.  You will then have a "new" spare prop.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: spun prop??? help!! 2010/06/26 13:27:27 (permalink)
    My Checkmate spun props a few times.
    Once all it needed was to cool off, next time I had it replaced.
    The engine was actually to large and required a solid prop.
    Some props have universal design where the hub is easily replaced.
    A heavier than normal load may cause the prop to spin or you may of hit something and it did it's job.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: spun prop??? help!! 2010/06/28 15:20:51 (permalink)
    I think that sometimes with age the rubber in the hub loses something and will allow the prop to spin. Easy fix, not real cheap though whether you have it repaired or buy a new prop. Good luck...
    hydrasports22
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: spun prop??? help!! 2010/06/29 11:53:12 (permalink)
    I've spun 2 hubs on my 200 merc hubs are replaceable now I keep a spare hub on hand easy to change
    Jump to: