flathead fishing on the mon

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
benthook62
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points: 0
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/02 18:38:09 (permalink)
Got that right there hasnt been nothing biting at ten mile park
post edited by benthook62 - 2010/07/09 06:02:45
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/02 19:29:27 (permalink)
"a guy from bobtown took that cat home friday night."

--Just curious, does he just like to feast on pcb laden fillets or does he just like to kill 40 lb catfish so he can take it home and show his buddies and brag before throwing it into a ditch?

"He also has caught many Flatheads,"

--
musky maniac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/02 21:46:55 (permalink)
wow wee! he must be over 100 yrs old, hes doin good for a very old man. surprised hes still alive if he eats them. thats the problem anymore people want to kill the fish anymore dont believe in protecting the sport, my suggestion is go to the grocery store buy ur fish and put the fish back that u catch. as for ur son in law great glad hes doing good, however dont think he would appreciate u telling thousands about where he catches his fish, i can tell u not many people knew about that trout lake havin skies but now they do..people lurk on here just to get info so if u feel u need to give out other peoples secret locations try using the pm icon. ive caught many from there also like i said not many know that place.

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER !
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/02 22:26:48 (permalink)
I dont mean to preach, but just giving my opinion. What is legal is legal, and people are free to do as they see fit. I dont know the situation, details etc in the aforementioned case, but just speaking in general from what ive seen over and over through the years..

As i see it, some just dont understand how important it is that those big fish should be put back. Doesnt make a lot of sense that theyd enjoy catching them so much, yet ensure that they and others will be catching fewer of them in the future. Of course they need quite a bit of age to get that size.. Ive read that it takes a flat on average for northern state to get to 30 lb, about 15 years.. and to top it off, not all fish have the genetic makeup to reach very large size. They that do pass those genes on over an over if allowed to do so. Also a 40 lb catfish is gonnna spit out a helluva lot more eggs than a 5 lber!

I personally wouldnt eat or feed fish from the Mon river to my family, but If you wanna keep catfish to eat, you should keep smaller cats..15-16-17 inchers. They are better eating in general, and have less contaminents built up in their system than older fish and are more easily replaced in the system.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/02 22:44:29
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/02 22:47:06 (permalink)
wow wee! he must be over 100 yrs old, hes doin good for a very old man. surprised hes still alive if he eats them.

Maybe hes only 30, and what you see in the pics are the effects of eating mon river catfish.
akitadog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 977
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/03 23:15:29 (permalink)
im not sh$%ten. i fished the wharf in brownsville one time with like 6 people( so i have witneses) and it was pouring down rain like when the water boils out of the drains on the side of the road. we where carp fishing and every time we brought our line in , there was toilet paper wrappd around our hooks and sinkers. im gonna pass on eating any fish from the mon.
Subby
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/03 23:31:00 (permalink)
What akita said.  Scrub up good when you get home too.  All kinds of goofy stuff in the river.

Sub

benthook62
Novice Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/04 00:16:11 (permalink)

As far as fishing, talk to the PFBC, they are ruining your sport by letting chemicals being dumped into the creeks. Go to Masontown bridge in the mornings, trucks dumping on both sides, or Waynesburg beagle club road at 2am, and watch the trucks dump. And many other sites in Greene County. They dump on hill sides,
with creeks in the field bottoms, you name it.
post edited by benthook62 - 2010/07/09 06:04:47
benthook62
Novice Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/04 00:25:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: akitadog

im not sh$%ten. i fished the wharf in brownsville one time with like 6 people( so i have witneses) and it was pouring down rain like when the water boils out of the drains on the side of the road. we where carp fishing and every time we brought our line in , there was toilet paper wrappd around our hooks and sinkers. im gonna pass on eating any fish from the mon.

lol did you snag the big cable they tie the Gateway Clipper to. 
akitadog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 977
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/04 08:50:31 (permalink)
theres all kinds of stuff you snag down there. that place is snag centrel
zater34
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/06 09:03:49 (permalink)
are the flatheads done spawning? fished in Elizabeth Sat caught one smallmouth and a carp.I need help on catching a decent flathead from the bank.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/06 20:11:31 (permalink)
No they arent done with the spawn. Though not all of them spawn at the exact same time. Also, once females lay the eggs they should be very catchable, though the males guarding the nests for a couple weeks or so generally dont feed or travel. The spawn may have come in a bit early this year due to early warm water temps that would trigger the spawn. Hopefully it will end earlier than usual.

If you really want to catch a decent flathead Id suggest forgetting about the carp & small mouth for awhile. Although some get lucky every now and then and catch a flat while fishing for other stuff, your best odds at a nice flat are with big baitfish. Things that you definately wont be catching carp and smallmouths on.
zater34
New Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/08 10:07:25 (permalink)
Thanks Wayne, we were fishing for cats with shiners. I dont have a lot of river knowledge, would like to hook up with a person that can help catch a decent flathead.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/08 10:12:44 (permalink)
Yea, a decent size flathead won't even bother with a shiner.  Too small, not even a snack for them.  You need to go bigger than you think you need to go, then go bigger than that.  I use whole bluegills, the bigger the better.  Flathead fishing is alot of work.  You have to go catch your own bait before fishing, keep it alive, and transport it to the river. 

Some guys here use legal size smallmouth bass (12-16") for flathead bait, and suckers to 18" long.  Some have bait tanks full of bluegills and suckers in their basements/garage just for keeping flathead bait alive. 

And of course you need a rod that can handle casting that kind of heavy bait and lead.  Bass rods don't even come close to cutting it.
zater34
New Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/08 10:15:47 (permalink)
I have 12 ft x heavy action rods with okoma baitrunners.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/08 10:28:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: zater34

I have 12 ft x heavy action rods with okoma baitrunners.

Then you're good to go.  You do need bigger bait than shiners though.

In a couple more weeks, they'll be done spawning, and back on the feed.  Some of the best fishing of the year is September/October. 
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/08 17:19:34 (permalink)
Some have bait tanks full of bluegills and suckers in their basements/garage just for keeping flathead bait alive.

Uh-huh.

100 gallon. Homebrew biological filter. Works great.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/08 17:21:08
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 09:41:34 (permalink)
that's freaking sweet, Wayne c.  You don't play around, I see!

Can I ask what's the total cost of a set up like that?

Part of the difficulty in flathead fishing is not having bait at the ready.  I have to go catch it every day, and sometimes that works out better than other times.  Keeping bait at the house would make it alot easier. 

Does your garage smell like a bait shop?  I ask because that'd be a deal breaker for the wife!
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 11:07:34 (permalink)
The stock tank was around 70 bucks at..I think it was farm & tractor. I used a submersible "statuary" pump that is sold in lowes around 40 bucks. They use them is small yard ponds to make little fountains of water come out of vases etc. Those were the main costs. The rest just pvc & fittings which are pretty cheap for the mostpart. Had the bucket already that houses the pump & filter media. I also made a small container that looks like a strainer out of a much smaller plastic bucket by drilling holes all over it for over the pump for the filter media to be stacked up on. I use clean gravel & filters that go in heating vents for filter media. They are about 3 bucks a pack. I also keep it covered most of the time since some baitfish like to jump out.

I just threw the floating livewell net in to separate certain bait from others.

The garage at times has a very slight "bait shop" scent, but not always and definately not overpowering lol. If you keep check on it every day to be sure there arent any casualties, it doesnt really get bad, and some of the time you wouldnt notice any smell at all. Also good to get some air flow by having window open & maybe crack garage doors during day in summer so any smells that do exist dont get "built up".

Womens noses are a bit more sensitive though. So i have little doubt she'd take notice, just a matter of how tolerant she is i guess.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/09 11:20:23
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 12:32:31 (permalink)
Thanks wayne.  That's a really good system you have going.  I think I may try to work out something similar.

I like the drain valve too.

Are you keeping bluegills or suckers in there?  What do you feed them?  For how long have you kept them in there at a stretch?

What kind of gasket did you use where the pipe penetrates the bottom of the tank?
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 13:11:35 (permalink)
That is a cool set up.
An idea to help appease the Mrs...
a piece of plexi-glass on top for a lid would probably keep any of the smell in the tub.
could get too warm too...just a thought.

I gotta get a big cat rig...this just sounds like great fun.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 13:15:31 (permalink)
I keep various fish in there. Most often bluegill. Have suckers from time to time. I really dont care for suckers. Usually when you hook them and cast out, they often just lie on the bottom unless something comes by and scares it. With bluegills, they almost continually thrash around sending out vibrations, and you can really notice the difference in your rod tip. Especially helpful in summer when current is low and water pretty calm. I'll also have a few crappie or small yellow perch from time to time too. Dont like chubs. Good bait no doubt, but hard to keep alive in warmer water of summer. Suckers stay alive pretty well in the tank, but usually just have others use them occassionally for cut bait. Once kept a small rainbow trout a buddy caught in there with my baitfish for about 3 months before letting it go.

I believe i can keep bluegill and some others in there as long as i want to basically. I generally have some bait in there at all times, use it regularly but always have some left from earlier refilling. I catch bait at quite a few locations and get certain kinds from differnt locations. Everything from rock bass to pumpkinseed, green sunfish, regular bluegill crappie yellow perch etc. Ive had a few fish of certain species that i know when they were caught that have stayed in there from mid spring all the way til fall before being used last year.

In particular i really like green sunfish. Tougher'n nails. Some of the ponds i get them are shallow and almost stagnant. Im sure they are more comfortable in my tank.

As for the plumbing at the bottom of the tank, the tank actually comes with a threaded plug that fills that hole. Simply remove the plug, and screw in threaded pvc joint with one side threaded, the other not, to glue your pipe into.. I used the white thread tape on the threads to ensure a good seal.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/09 13:19:19
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 13:18:53 (permalink)
You have it dialed in, wayne.  Impressive.  Thanks for the info and pictures.

Totally agree on the bluegills/sunfish as the best bait.  The pond I get bait out of is mostly pumpkinseeds.

So what do you feed your bait?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 17:27:59 (permalink)
Key is to feed them as little as you can get away with. Otherwise you foul up the water somewhat, at least temporarily, with feces and excess food. Fish can go a long time without feeding and if i plan on using some of the blues within a week that were caught for example today, they might not get fed at all until i use some, then the remainder get fed. Less fooling around and less mess for filter to clean out. Otherwise i might feed sparingly in small amounts every 4 or5 days. Usually bread broken up into small bits or small pieces of dry catfood.

When filling the tank with water, I also add around 1 3/4 cups of salt. I think ive read that it conditions the water & also supposed to help keep baitfish healthy, slime coat intact. In the pics, my water level is down about 3 inches from usual.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/09 17:50:07
musky maniac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 18:44:01 (permalink)
lol....did u and dani do any good last night

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER !
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/09 21:22:19 (permalink)
 I dig hole backyard, got bait year round.
No problem
   crappy
Brookie1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/13 14:49:32 (permalink)
What rigs do you guys use and what oz sinker?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/13 21:30:34 (permalink)
Gave my details in reply to your post in the carp & cat thread
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/14 05:33:14 (permalink)
Wayne How often do you change the water and filter? Looks nice. I might make something like yours. But out of a plastic 45gal barrel. Thanks Dave
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: flathead fishing on the mon 2010/07/14 12:59:35 (permalink)
Dave, I change the water whenever i think it needs it not on a set schedule, but to give you an idea, this year so far, ive had bait in the tank nearly steady since early april, though early on especially, not always bluegills and have only changed the water once, and that was about 2 and a half weeks ago. I also changed the filter media out then.

The filter can get pretty nasty...very dirty inside and doesnt hurt unless its effecting the water quality in the tank. It usually doesnt and is actually supposed to get that way because its a biological filter and bacteria builds up in the filter to eat the wastes, ammonia etc.

Time between filter clean depends on a lot of things. The species you have in there, you also dont wanna feed them alot or overly often, for species like bluegill, you might also wanna, if possible, keep them in a large aerated bucket or holding tank to "purge" themselves before going into the main tank. Bluegills when first caught are filthy. Usually they turn the water in the large bucket i use when catching them brown in no time, also crap or throw up moss and other various substances. So when i get home I usually put them in another container like an old cooler, large bucket or couple of buckets and put a cheap bubbler on them till the next day when i put them in the tank itself.

You can put them straight in the tank, but if you refill the tank often with fresh bluegills this adds up and you'll be cleaning the filter more often than i do.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/14 13:11:31
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: