How much experience

Author
jiggerman41
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/11 19:16:44 (permalink)

How much experience

Thank you for all the answers on my flyline question.I settled for cortland.And i did make a mistake in the rod weight it is a 5-6.Now for my next question.How much experience would you recommend before you would take the fly rod steelheading.I am confident when fishing a stream for smallmouth but i would probably get intimidated with the crowds and totally forget how to cast.I see guys roll casting and i am trying to learn so hopefully i will get better,but should i try fly fishing this season or should i refine my casting ability for another year.I am a beginner with 1 month of fly lishing experience.Any advice is appreciated.Thank you.

13 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 19:29:29 (permalink)
    Just come up[ and fish. If you feel intimidated just move to a less crowded spot. Or. find somebody who appears to really have it together, intriduce yourself, compliment his technique and ask how he does what he does so well. You'll either get some good lessons or, , , a date!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 20:56:45 (permalink)
    You will see people that bought their first flyrod on the way there and have never picked one up before.

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 21:38:35 (permalink)
    Go on up and fish. Besides, by the time steelie season rolls around, you'll be roll castin' like a pro.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 22:04:43 (permalink)
    jig, i was in the same boat as you last year (actually, i still am).  i went up to the one-fly with really limited experience, jack (indy) showed me a trick or two, and i was actually roll casting well enough to get by.  i even managed a one for three, my first steelie on a fly rod.  once you get up there and see what everyone else is using and the varying degrees of experience, it won't really matter.    can't hit the ball if you're not in the batter's box.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 22:15:44 (permalink)
    I started on Steel with the Flyrod.
    Hadn't used one before last fall.
    Picked one up and headed for Erie ..
    Couple quick lessons from some fellas on here..
    A little bit of walking and you can find some solitude..
    Not much real casting involved, good short roll cast will get you into about 75% of the creeks up there..

PM if you want to drift with a fellow Noob Flyfisher...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/11 22:16:15 (permalink)
    PM Sent

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 00:48:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Just come up[ and fish. If you feel intimidated just move to a less crowded spot. Or. find somebody who appears to really have it together, intriduce yourself, compliment his technique and ask how he does what he does so well. You'll either get some good lessons or, , , a date!

I did exactly this and had a great time. A lot of good friendly people pointed me in the right direction and one guy showed me a nice way to rig up my line.

Got broken off by the fish though. Those steel are strong and required more patience than I knew was needed to land.

mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 02:25:31 (permalink)
    Just go and have fun.  Lot of water.  You dont have to walk far to find pods you can learn on, you just have to be observant and learn to read water.  Ive seen so many guys walk by water and complain there are no fish in the creek then rip a half dozen out of the spot they just walked by.

Here's what you will learn the first year...casting and hooking.....not so hard, fighting and landing fish on a flyrod....there is the challenge.

GOOD LUCK

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 07:35:01 (permalink)
    Just go do it!Most guys on the stream will give you advice if you ask.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 11:49:37 (permalink)
    I went up my first year with about 4 months experience and a SA 5wt with the starter kit gear. Didn't catch many, but even w/ that small amount of experience (part of which included a REAL lesson), I could see that my skills were sufficient, and even superior to many on the water.

A few suggestions, if I may:

-My best fishing in Erie has required no cast more elaborate than picking the line up off the water and dropping it back in, at the top of the run. Most of my fish have been hooked with less than 1 rod length of line out of the tip top. Food for thought.

-With your 5wt, you might still want to get out and away from people. For the first minute or so of any fight...you will be at the fish's mercy, and your biggest challenge will be to stay connected. If he goes upstream, let him run. If he goes down, chase him. If you're in a crowd, this is much more difficult.

-Make sure your reel has a good drag. My first steelhead on that starter kit was a fresh, energetic male that left me with 2 parallel brush burns on the palm of my hand from the spinning spool. After that one fish, the cheap starter trout reel was shot. Basically free spooled in both directions. Upgraded to a more heavy duty aluminum reel with a centerline drag ad haven't had a problem since.

-Learn to fish the fast water. You'll have all the room you need since almost nobody fishes there...and I've found these locations to have some of the best fishing.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 12:17:43 (permalink)
    Nothing like "on the job experience"! Go for it - you'll enjoy the rod and will learn quickly, if you don't let yourself be intimidated!
    Most anglers are helpful and will give you good friendly  advise! It's a continuing learning experience! What works today mignt not tomorrow! Just get started and do it! Good luck and tight lines!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 12:21:08 (permalink)
    you'll enjoy the rod

jon_e_si enjoys the rod.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: How much experience 2010/06/12 20:22:54 (permalink)
    PM sent.
    Jump to: