funny story...

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/07 14:41:40 (permalink)

funny story...

I've always believed that if you hook a trout and lose it, you're not going to see that fish rise again in the same night. In my mind, I picture a trout that rose to what it believed was a mayfly, then felt the pain of a hook, to act the same as a kid who just ate his first bite of brocolli.... both would be p'd off with case of lock jaw.

Last weekend I was proven wrong...

I had two of my best clients on the water; a married couple from Ohio. Both of them are avid steelheaders in their home state, but they come to central PA to find the match the hatch style fishing their state lacks. I had them nymphing all day before the evening hatch of sulphurs was to start.

Once we saw a few bugs on the water, I figured the risers would be soon to follow, then fixed up their leaders, and tied a sulphur dun to each. It was just then a few guys decided to crowd the stretch my clients were about to fish. These two guys got close and started bombing wooly buggers over top of the risers successfully putting down just about every riser in sight. Thankfully, they left after not catching anything. I thought to myself those guys may have screwed this stretch, but decided to wait and see if the rise would pick up if we gave the fish some time. Just before dark they started rising again.

A few minutes into it, I heard "hey Dan, there's a huge fish rising up here" usually when I here those words it turns out to be a small fish making a big commotion. This time it turned out to be a big fish making little commotion. What I saw was a big brown's dorsal fin coming out of the water with a tail following way behind. It couldn't have been in a worse spot, the entire way across the river, right next to some rip rap.

It was a textbook emerger rise, so we dropped a sulphur bar emerger behind the dun with a foot of 6x. Within a few casts he hooked it. The fish thrashed around for a split second, then broke the tippet on a tree limb leaving both flies in his mouth. Both of us were speechless. He asked me what the chances are of that fish taking another fly. I told him to forget it, because that fish is laying on the bottom totally piszed off with a pair of flies hanging out of his mouth and eating another one would be the last thing on his mind. We took a break for a minute or two before I started repair his leader.

Before I had a new fly tied on his leader the fish rose again...in the same spot...the same way. I couldn't believe it. I figured it had to be a different fish. I added another emerger, and he started casting again. Within a dozen casts I saw his dun get pulled under. He didn't notice. I yelled "set it". He looked at me for a second, and then I yelled it again. For whatever reason, when he finally did set the hook the fish didn't try to go into the brush, he instead went straight down river. After a few minute fight I netted his fish. It was easily in the low 20 inch range...a fish I figured would be to smart to eat the same fly that hooked him minutes before. After I removed all the flies and they took a good hero shot, we sent the fish on his way no worse off for the experience. I started to think we give the trout too much credit, but that only lasted until 2 days later when I watched a 5" brown closely examine then decline everything I drifted over him.

Any of you guys have a similar experience?
post edited by thedrake - 2010/06/07 15:06:39

11 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/07 15:41:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I've always believed that if you hook a trout and lose it, you're not going to see that fish rise again in the same night. In my mind, I picture a trout that rose to what it believed was a mayfly, then felt the pain of a hook, to act the same as a kid who just ate his first bite of brocolli.... both would be p'd off with case of lock jaw.

Last weekend I was proven wrong...

I had two of my best clients on the water; a married couple from Ohio. Both of them are avid steelheaders in their home state, but they come to central PA to find the match the hatch style fishing their state lacks. I had them nymphing all day before the evening hatch of sulphurs was to start.

Once we saw a few bugs on the water, I figured the risers would be soon to follow, then fixed up their leaders, and tied a sulphur dun to each. It was just then a few guys decided to crowd the stretch my clients were about to fish. These two guys got close and started bombing wooly buggers over top of the risers successfully putting down just about every riser in sight. Thankfully, they left after not catching anything. I thought to myself those guys may have screwed this stretch, but decided to wait and see if the rise would pick up if we gave the fish some time. Just before dark they started rising again.

A few minutes into it, I heard "hey Dan, there's a huge fish rising up here" usually when I here those words it turns out to be a small fish making a big commotion. This time it turned out to be a big fish making little commotion. What I saw was a big brown's dorsal fin coming out of the water with a tail following way behind. It couldn't have been in a worse spot, the entire way across the river, right next to some rip rap.

It was a textbook emerger rise, so we dropped a sulphur bar emerger behind the dun with a foot of 6x. Within a few casts he hooked it. The fish thrashed around for a split second, then broke the tippet on a tree limb leaving both flies in his mouth. Both of us were speechless. He asked me what the chances are of that fish taking another fly. I told him to forget it, because that fish is laying on the bottom totally piszed off with a pair of flies hanging out of his mouth and eating another one would be the last thing on his mind. We took a break for a minute or two before I started repair his leader.

Before I had a new fly tied on his leader the fish rose again...in the same spot...the same way. I couldn't believe it. I figured it had to be a different fish. I added another emerger, and he started casting again. Within a dozen casts I saw his dun get pulled under. He didn't notice. I yelled "set it". He looked at me for a second, and then I yelled it again. For whatever reason, when he finally did set the hook the fish didn't try to go into the brush, he instead went straight down river. After a few minute fight I netted his fish. It was easily in the low 20 inch range...a fish I figured would be to smart to eat the same fly that hooked him minutes before. After I removed all the flies and they took a good hero shot, we sent the fish on his way no worse off for the experience. I started to think we give the trout too much credit, but that only lasted until 2 days later when I watched a 5" brown closely examine then decline everything I drifted over him.

Any of you guys have a similar experience?

Dan,

Many moons ago, on Spring Creek, when it got snow like hatches of Sulphurs, I had a decent torut, maybe 16 inches, hooked on a sulphur dun dry fly, and on the way to the net, it rose not once, but twice to eat other duns while it was still hooked.

On an even goofier note, when Raystown was filling up, we used to stalk the edges of newly flooded meadows.  the bass seemed to be following the water as it rose.  I spotted a good bass lying near a flooded bush.  I think I had an inline spinner of some sort tied on and made a cast to the fish.  It never moved.  A threw at it a few more times, but it wasn't interested.  Finally, I made a cast that came extremely close to the fish, maybe two inches away.  The bass again never moved, but I felt the tug of a hit.  When I set the hook, the bass came splashing out from under the bush.  But something seemed a little amiss.

After a short fight, I brough the fish to hand and found out what happened.  Someone had caught the bass on some type of live bait using a snelled hook set up.  The hook itself was deep enough inthe bass to cause harm if it were removed, so whoever released the fish sut thier line at the loop of the snell.  I had brought my spinner close enough to the fish that the hook went into the loop of the snell and I caught the fish without actually catching the fish.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/07 16:07:33 (permalink)
    DarDys, you snagger...
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/07 16:26:40 (permalink)
    Have a good story from a while back. Fishing Shade Creek in Somerset county for brook trout. Useing a grey fox dry, had a brookie take, run about 10 feet upstream and the hook pulled out. Before I could take in the slack line to cast again the same trout; the water is gin clear; caught up to my dry and took it again. I lost the fish soon afterwards. Same trout twice on the same cast with a dry fly. Would not believe it if someone else said this and as I am such a dam liar I not sure if i believe it, but it did happen....WF
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/08 07:21:30 (permalink)
    Cool story Drake...thanks for postin it.

I once had a large pike break off my buzzbait...I put on another one...and he slammed it again. The first hook was through his jaw, and out his head....and he STILL took the same bait. FEROCIOUS!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/08 16:49:04 (permalink)
    Not a trout but this flathead ate three bluegills in an hour and a half.  Broke me off once and knot came untied (the one htat ended up in his gullet)  before landing him the third time.  Two 6/0 hooks in his jaw, one went down his gullet.

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/08 23:19:21 (permalink)
    I've caught many fish with hooks in them - some even had monofilament coming out of the gut! When they're feeding - they feed!
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2528
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/09 09:29:01 (permalink)
    Reminds me of the time, many years ago, while fishing the lake at Yellow Creek state park I had a similar experience. I was wade fishing the area where they now dock the pontoon boats. It was early in the evening and I was casting a rattletrap lure. I felt a fish hit and set the hook. When I reeled the fish in I saw that it was a pike about 23 inches long and that one of the treble hooks had got caught in the loop of a snelled hook that was protrudeing about 4 inches out of the pikes mouth.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/09 10:18:56 (permalink)
    Just had a similar "stupid fish" story happen to me last night. Throwing 2/0 gurglers on a farm pond for bass (and a few truly ballsy gills), and I had a bass hit about 35 feet out. Hooked and fought the fish for a good minute or so, bringing him to within 15 feet of the shore when, somehow, the hook came loose. I felt the line go slack and saw the shape of the fish turn, then sit still for a bit. From the tension I'd been putting on the line, it brought the gurgler back to the surface. As soon as it broke the surface of the water, the bass shot across and hammered it again. This time I got him.

I guess one way of looking at it is that as many of our baits/lures/flies look like specific foods...if these fish got "smart" and stayed away from them, they'd go hungry. I mean, if you get food poisoning from bad meat do you turn vegeterian? If you're in a fender bender, do you quit driving? Sure you might be more cautious, but you probably are back driving again within a day or two, and you'll be eating meat again as soon as you recover.
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/09 10:52:08 (permalink)
    I would not turn vegitarian after food posioning HOWEVER, I will never eat lebanon balogna again on a seperate note grilled portabela's are also off the menu.

I had a brookie hit 3 times while "dipping" red worms up at camp, pulled him out of the water the second time, thought for sure it was over, dropped it in a 3rd time and caught the little dummy. Funny because I have snapped a twig sneaking up on a spot and spooked fish, this one gets hooked and popped out of the water and still eats.

Jacob
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/09 18:45:33 (permalink)
    Yeah I was fishing middle elk with ripplin lip ..... A hen steelhead inhaled an egg pattern of mine , i slid the fish to the edge of a steep bank as it broke off before I could remove the hook ( no net ) ... About 2 minutes later Ripplin Lip reeled in the same fish with both of our egg patterns in it's lip LOL.....

And then on the clarion a musky inhaled two plastic worms smallmouth fishen ..... One was mine so I asked my bud to cast to the fish he had his bitten through ....... ( it bite threw the line eachtime ) on the third consecutive cast he tried to eat a stick bait and missed the line ..... Fish ate all three offerings within 2 minutes time ...... Never seen such aggression from a fish ........ The 38" plus fish swam away .... and made for one heck of a story ....
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/06/09 18:56:49
    nymphus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: funny story... 2010/06/22 06:24:41 (permalink)
    Jeff and I just returned from a week fishing Kettle Creek.  In a shallow water pocket, Jeff saw a decent size bow sipping duns, he cast above her, watched the drift as she came up and sucked in his BWO.  I netted her, she was 18 inches long.  Upon releasing her, she returned to the same place she was at previously.  That evening Jeff again saw her, but really wasn't targeting her, but a brown rising several feet above her.  Didn't she dart ahead and take Jeff's fly again.  We repeated the above mentioned.  The next day we returned to the same area.  This time Jeff fished 6 to 8 feet above the area of this bow.  He drifted to another rising fish, didn't that same bow, move up and take his fly for the third time!  He watched her move from her holding area.  This was the first time he had a fish do that.
    Jump to: