BOAT WORK UPDATE

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/31 06:43:14 (permalink)

BOAT WORK UPDATE

DONE AND DONE! 5 weeks later and I now have a boat I can be confident motoring in. My thanks to bluntman, muskymastr and everyone else who posted info for me. We drilled out about 40 rivets to get to the transom. Had to remove the entire back/well of the Grumman to get to it. Scooped the old transom out with our hands it was so rotted. Used exterior grade plywood (2) 3/4 inch sheets and (1) 1/2 inch sheet. Saved $60 per sheet by not using the marine grade. Like the guy at Kraft Lumber said, both grades have to be sealed the same way. Used Westcoat epoxy adhesive and coated the entire outside of the new transom with it, it dried like a rubber coating. Thank you John and Linda Heard at P.I. Sports on West Lake Rd. for allowing us to tie up a bay and access to your tools and know-how while we did the transom work. Replaced all rivets with stainless hardware: nuts, bolts, washers and lock washers. Next we replaced the floor as I figured if the transom was so bad, better take a look at all the wood on this boat. Good thinking. Used the same grade plywood, only went with the 3/4 inch instead of the original 1/2 inch. Plus more stainless hardware. Fiberglassed both sides and put down beautiful Cabellas carpeting. Decided to replace the cluster #&*k of wiring under the console. That tidied up real nice. Added a new antenna and an Eaglecuda 350 sonar. This unit is unreal and for $200, a bargain and a half.
So my first boat purchase was a real learning experience. Anyone in this position take notice: besides having the motors looked over and compression checked by a pro, go over that boat with a fine toothed comb. Especially the transom. Didn't notice that the motor mount bolts were actually mounted into blocks of wood on the inside portion of the transom. The guy that sold me this boat knew there was no transom left there, but put me in a dangerous situation anyway. Make sure the floor isn't 'soft'. If it's a used boat it's going to have problems. But minimize the aggrevation and expense to fix it by taking somebody who really knows boats with you when you look at it. And don't fall for all the bells and whistles that may come with the boat. My purchase came with downriggers, planer boards and mast, 8 counter rods and reels, dipsies, couple of hundred lures etc. etc. I allowed myself to be distracted by all this swag. But now I'm happy! The wife, not so much. But what ya gonna do?
post edited by pikepredator2 - 2010/05/31 07:01:25

5 Replies Related Threads

Bulldog2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: BOAT WORK UPDATE 2010/05/31 14:00:40 (permalink)
    What did ya pay for the rig? If the price was right you probably did alright, and after doing this work you know exactly what you have between you and the bottom of the lake. That extra equipment would have cost you a bundle to buy new. As for the wife not being happy, get used to that now that you have a boat. Just goes with the territory.

glad to hear you got 'er done!
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: BOAT WORK UPDATE 2010/05/31 15:37:59 (permalink)
    been there done that and the work after its all done the first word is whooooooooooo in any lang you tend to like it than a new boat just for the fact you can say i done that
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: BOAT WORK UPDATE 2010/05/31 20:05:09 (permalink)
    Bulldog, I paid 4500 for it. Both motors, a 75 horse Suzuki and a 9.9 Evinrude, checked out great compression wise at Alex's and never failed to turn right over in the 2 seasons I've had 'em. I knew something was wrong from the get go with all the water that poured out after I pulled the plug (and this is after bilging 4 to 5 times out on the lake). I've been sick for the past 2 years knowing that I let myself get ripped off, and that I was stuck with it because in no way could I off this boat as it was in good conscious (unlike the a-hole that sold it to me). Did my homework with the motors, failed to follow up on the boat itself. Wasn't going to go a 3rd season with this same feeling in my guts, but never thought it was as bad as it was. But with 99% of the wood replaced, I got me a new boat. Rivets are all good, and now so is my attitude. And you're right leadmen, did it myself and I know exactly what I've got. Never thought I'd be learning so much about aluminum watercraft tho. Thought I'd just be gettin in it and goin fishing. My boat, I think I'll keep her.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: BOAT WORK UPDATE 2010/05/31 22:33:02 (permalink)
    Stainless and aluminum do not play well together.
    Aluminum is a lesser metal and will oxidize anywhere it comes into contact with stainless.
    Depending on where the rivets are you may need to replace the ones you just put in.
    Water and electricity speed up the corrosion.
    Disconnect all batteries when not being used.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: BOAT WORK UPDATE 2010/06/01 14:30:58 (permalink)
    Marty's got a point, I'd replace all those stainless bolts with aluminum bolts or aluminum rivets.

Doesn't sound like you got ripped all that bad considering all the extras you got with her. Just check the price on a 75 horse motor, and just a couple of the extras you got. Pain in the back side fixin' it, but now you got a solid machine for $5,500 or so. And you got $1,000 plus worth of accessories. Look at it that way, you may feel a little better about yourself anyway. The a-hole that sold it to ya, not so much...
    Jump to: