question about a buck

Author
HardCore Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/15 02:28:21 (permalink)

question about a buck

Tonight after scouting a neighboring farm, on our way home in the car we seen this tremendous 8 point buck after dark, the buck was on the side of the road i can hunt, it possibly came from the other side of the road on a farm i'm not allowed to hunt and looking on the other hillside, the farmer was driving his truck thru 1 of his fields and it appeared he might have spooked it while driving around over there. My question - If the farmer did spook the buck on his farm, will it return to its old ground or change its home and pattern from over there to over where i hunt ? The road is on top of a hill with hay fields on both sides and creek bottoms on both sides but the valley on my side has more woods, and a couple good thickets throughout it as compared to the other side and valley which the field continues halfway down the hill, then about a 30 yard wide treeline, then another smaller hay field, then its open woods down throughout that valley and onto the other hillside then theres more hay fields as far as the eye can see with small treelines crossing them with really no good thickets or bedding areas for this buck, just really open woods and fields with little ground vegetation. Now if this buck is roaming through my woods possibly tonight and notices the habitat and protection are better for him, will he stay and change his pattern or return to the woods he already knows well ?

Ronnie

7 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/15 07:15:05 (permalink)
    It will usually take alot more pressure to get an old buck to change his core area. Don't dismay if he lives on the farm next door. Find the trails leading from his farm to yours and get prepared for the rut. He'll start getting stupid that last week...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/15 11:39:24 (permalink)
    Just like bings stated .... You can bet you @ss that deer will be in YOUR woods . Find the doe trails leading into your woods . Wait till first week of november and load a scent drag with estrous ( I luv code blue ) sweep that scent through those trails and lead it to your stand before daybreak . (I like to put the strongest scent concentration around my stand (triangulated) anyway. Another tactic that works well for bigger bucks prerut ( last week of October ) use tarsal gland lure , make a mock rub close to the buck sighting and douse it with the tarsal scent . This really pi@Ses mr big off and any other buck frequenting your area . After doing this you'll notice the others can't help but to freshen up your mock rub!> Use this in tandem with a soft grunt call ( to immitate an immature buck ) and he should come to try & run you off. OH yea I forgot stand location .... I usually use an edge of thick cover ; makes the deer feel comfortable when looking for you ; in that they cannot see whats hiding in the brush ; I think curiousity sometimes gets the best of them when they're lookin for another deer. Good luck >>>DC
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/15 22:03:54 (permalink)
    I have have taken 4 treestands down for this buck and i'm gonna relocate them in the area i think he might be concentrating on if he stays, 1 in the creek bottom, 2 on the outskirts of the very thick bedding area i know the doe's use now, and 1 close to the field in hopes of maybe catching him on the way out for dinner 1 night. I honestly am killing myself to make everything perfect for this buck, scent control, planning routes in out of the stand everyday, wind directions, and when the rut comes, everything is coming out, rattling, calling, mock scrapes, the trail cam, scents, anything i think of. If this buck gets harvested this year, i honestly think it will be 1 of the top bucks harvested in Washington County this season, older looking buck as well, definately would gain bragging rights lol.

Ronnie
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/15 23:01:53 (permalink)
    Git-R-Done!
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/17 11:49:49 (permalink)
    Almost guaranteed that buck's home range includes your land... keep at it and you just may tag him.
    he will begin to casually check out does soon, if not already.  I'd say around halloween set up near a suspected doe bedding area and drag and estrous rag across as many doe trails as possible on your way in.  If he catches a whiff of it he will be interested.  GL!
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/19 08:11:53 (permalink)
    Come the rut, that buck will go where the does are.  So as long as you have does on the land you are allowed to hunt, there is a reasonable chance the buck will be there.  If he's as big and old as you say, probably the only time he'll make a mistake is during the rut.  With deer, (as with humans) females are their downfall!  I'd be out there every moment from halloween on if I were you.  BTW, if ya get him, post a picture someplace.
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: question about a buck 2007/10/19 15:43:40 (permalink)
    Saw this buck again last night around midnight, crossed the road in front of me on my way home from work, awesome looking buck, G2's an 3's are huge, i'm guesstimating a 18-20 inch spread. I'm gonna try hunting the edge of a bedding area tonight that i know deer use now pretty close to where i've seen him.

Ronnie
    Jump to: