lawn casting and learning

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
getsome
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/05/05 23:03:25 (permalink)
hello all... i'm looking for some help from a fellow angler that is a lot more experienced in fly fishing then I am... I bought a combo pack to get started and ended up with a 9' fly rod..not sure about the weights or what that means... anyone willing to help it will be much appreciated. I have already taken it out and practiced in the yard and on the stream, but I want to get advice before any bad habits get formed... thanks to anyone for help...
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/05/06 00:22:06 (permalink)
getsome, I don't flyfish, so can't help with technique questions... what I do recommend is that you try using the 'search' button at the top of the page and do some looking around through the old threads because I know there have been many that are very in depth regarding the subject.  I have spent literally hours doing nothing but reviewing past forum threads for info and it is helpful!
 Good luck on your endeavor and have fun!
trackerz
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/05/06 08:28:29 (permalink)
Anchlke
Can you break down "Edelweiss" and how you work that.  Do you use  backswing-pause-forward cast ect.  
anchke
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/05/07 10:20:51 (permalink)
Trackerz -- It's just a nice, uncomplicated, rhythmic help to keep the cast from getting all fast and jerky. On "Edel" I go from start to 1:00, followed by a little pause (just like the song) to wait for the tug, then "weiss" is the forward cast. The song has perfect timing for my stroke. In A River Runs Through It, dad taught his sons using a metronome. This is okay but seems too mechanical to me, and besides I'm not adding a metronome to my vest . . . a man's gotta draw the line somewhere. Edelweiss also works to help slow down a golf swing. Obviously, I favor moderate/progressive action rods. Try it, you might like it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: