Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/06 20:18:10 (permalink)

lawn casting and learning

spent 45 minutes casting my 6wt in the yard tonight.  feels like i pitched 9 innings.  cannot get over the difference between a 5 and a 6wt as far a arm fatigue (the 5 is 6 inches shorter).  slowly, i am learning.

about now, a 3 or 4wt under 8 feet sounds pretty darned good to me.

you guys who ff all the time and have mastered casting, you have my respect. 

33 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:07:56 (permalink)
    about now, a 3 or 4wt under 8 feet sounds pretty darned good to me.

Use an 8wt a foot longer and the 6wt will seem light?????

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:19:00 (permalink)
    marty, i used both a 9 foot cane rod and a 9.6 foot 7wt yesterday, and it too was a workout.  i watched sharpe fly cast 90 feet plus into the wind saturday and could not get over the ease at which he did it.  it's an art, for sure. 

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:19:09 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. Yr arm shouldn't be that tired. My .02 --

Practice for, oh, 10 minutes at a time until you get the arm toned up.

When you're practicing, avoid false casting with more than 3X the rod's length of line beyond the rod's top. (Clear? 9' rod = max of 27' of line airborne) Just eyeball it. The idea is to shoot line, not punish yourself holding 50' of line airborne.

Give yourself the goal of casting with proper form and the minimum strength required. Do one backcast, one forward cast, another backcast, forward and shoot. Once you get the feel of it you'll see how little strength fly casting requires. Once you see how it should feel, you can progress, if you want, to practice exercises that require more false casting.

Also, when I lose rhythm I hum Edelweiss to myself and cast in time to it. (Works for golf swings, too)

Finally -- Beginners with sore arms usually have a problem with the power part of the cast. On the last backcast, the rod should load and -- as you start forward -- your rod hand should stay ahead of the rod tip until you apply the power snap aimed, oh, 4' above your target -- i.e., on the backcast your rod should get to the 1:00 position and should stay there until you get to the end of the forward casting stoke.

You'll get a sore arm if you tilt the rod forward too early, lose the energy built up in the rod, and then try to compensate with your arm strength.

Try it and let us know if you see an improvement. There's other stuff to work on, but that's my instant diagnosis and prescription for beginning anglers.

Good luck.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:21:55 (permalink)
    as always, anchke, great advice.  i appreciate the input.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:24:05 (permalink)
    You'll get a sore arm if you tilt the rod forward too early, lose the energy built up in the rod, and then try to compensate with your arm strength.

you weren't watching, were you?

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 21:33:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rapala11

you guys who ff all the time and have mastered casting, you have my respect. 

They sure are artists, rap...
    I can learn more watchin DT for ten minutes, he makes it look way too easy..
    Sat down at the DHALO on Oil Creek last week and watched a fella for about 20 minutes. He was kinda like one with the rod..

For some reason folks still give me a pretty wide berth..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 22:26:37 (permalink)
    Great explanation anchke. Rapala - I try and lawn cast about twice a week - kind of gets my mind off alot of "stuff" and relaxes me. Keep practicing and follow the advice of others - you'll find your own stroke. I've always believed that although there are some fundamentals that are good to follow - many have their own kind of style...little tweaks to the norm that suits them and offers them comfort when casting. Try laying out a few paper plates and work on accuracy. I know in the past when I've worked with others on their casting - when they got their mind off of getting a textbook stroke and concentrated on accuracy - somehow they were more relaxed and their casting improved dramatically. Don't know why it worked for them but it did. I guess that without thinking about it - they adjusted their arm/wrist/hand position to hit the target. Years ago - as a young lad who had a father that I loved to watch throw a fly line - always told me that the most important thing in casting an accurate dry fly is to lock the elbow to your hip and use as little shoulder as possible.  Tightens the loop he would say. He knew what he was talking about because I saw him set off a mouse trap in the backyard many a time with a slightly weighted nymph. Keep at it buddy

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 23:00:54 (permalink)
    I like lawn casting and goofing off.

These guys are the masters-

http://www.sexyloops.com/

and for getting started-

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

Their info and demos on techniques and games has helped me tremendously.

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/06 23:36:45 (permalink)
    No question, Bings. Some of those folks are just so darned smooth. Instant jealousy.

One of the tips I've learned is to allow your hips to move with the cast, so that your forearm and shoulder are not generating all of the momentum.

When I was in medic school, and later in college, my instructors/professors would always tell us: you can be book smart or you can be street smart...the successful ones are those who are BOTH. I am far from having mastered casting, but you know you're doing it right when everything "feels" right. So after watching those YouTube clips at least a couple dozen times, I've been able to fine tune what they're telling me to a mannerism that works for me.

Something else I found that helped me is to let my kids take a few swings. I can watch their mistakes and say "that's happening because..." It kept my frustration level down, and when I'd pick up the rod again, I would try to "practice what I preached." I still warn everyone I may need a little room, but I'm not as dangerous as I used to be.

That being said, my roll cast still sucks.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 00:48:32 (permalink)
    I was always told by a "old timer" if you wanted to nail down or rediscover your form. He said to practice casting with a short rod. I have 2 rods 1 6ft 3wt. and a 6.5ft. 2wt. these are the hardest rods in my arsenel to cast. Your timing has to be spot on to get a decent loop to form with them. When I get a case of the cast "yips" & my form cant be found I go back to my six footers...

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    pszy22
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 06:59:27 (permalink)
    For the past 12-15 years I've fished mostly 1 and 2 wt rods.  When I now fish even a five wt, the mass of the rod is very noticeable to me.

One thing I would suggest with regards to your arm fatigue, is to try a couple of different ways of gripping the rod to see which is the most comfortable to you.  As the grip you use changes, different muscle in your arm are going to be used in slightly different planes of motion.

I personally find it very tiring to use a thumb on top grip.  I much prefer to hold the rod in the vee between my thumb and forefinger. 

Just something to give a try.

have fun,

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.webs.com
    Tenkara Fly Fishing

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 07:25:33 (permalink)
    Also, rap, try a lighter rod to see if it really isn't just the weight that's causing the fatigue. I know that I can cast my 3 and 4wts all day with no issues, but after a day of steelheading with the 7wt, I feel it. Also note rod balance. A tip-heavy rod wears me down much faster than one that is well balanced.

Paco's bit about short rods has merit as well, but I feel that its more in the action than the length, with a fast rod being far less forgiving than a slower rod. Example: My 7'9" 3wt is moderate fast (closer to moderate than fast) and even at that, is not terribly forgiving of casting imperfections...on the other hand, my 7'0" 4wt, a glass rod, is very slow, and gives you time to correct issues in your casting, often allowing me to fix an errant cast with a false cast or two.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 07:31:48 (permalink)
    cold, i believe it is my technique for the most part.  i do get some really nice casts out to 50 feet, but i feel i am pushing the rod.  my 6wt is the exact big brother to your 3wt (rod and reel), but a 9 footer.  however, the 5 is much lighter (sage ds) and more comfortable.  after casting these for a while, i picked up the 7wt, casted twice, and threw it at the cat..  

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 07:51:06 (permalink)

after casting these for a while, i picked up the 7wt, casted twice, and threw it at the cat..  

See you did that a little wrong...
    You tie a deerhair mouse on with the hook cut off and.....
    Good sidearm practice keep it low so you don't take out the ceiling fan..

(drive the wife and cat crazy)

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 07:55:52 (permalink)
    bings, those ceiling fans are going to be the doom of one of my rods yet.  my wife always tells me to quit playing with them and go use them..  neighbors see my lawn casting and just shake there heads.  will be at it again today.  spring training for oil city, if i can make it.

btw, walleyes in shallow....hurry.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 08:48:07 (permalink)
    "i do get some really nice casts out to 50 feet,"

A wise man once said, if you have to cast over 35 feet (note: he meant on a trout stream in PA), you obviously aren't in waded into the right spot.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 09:06:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

See you did that a little wrong...
    You tie a deerhair mouse on with the hook cut off and.....
    Good sidearm practice keep it low so you don't take out the ceiling fan..

(drive the wife and cat crazy)

Cut the hook? Why?

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 09:14:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

A wise man once said, if you have to cast over 35 feet (note: he meant on a trout stream in PA), you obviously aren't in waded into the right spot.

tell that wise man that i fish warm water species primarily in lakes

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 09:36:37 (permalink)

marty, i used both a 9 foot cane rod and a 9.6 foot 7wt yesterday, and it too was a workout. 

I do a lot of short leader dry fly fishing which equates to constant casting.
    I start the season practicing with an 8oz. reel on a very heavy 9 ft bamboo rod. That type of rod can not be pushed and requires a deliberately easy rhythm. With that type of rod, you not only see your mistakes, you can feel them.
    The weight of the rod & reel helps build muscle memory which is good. On the down side, if you have poor technique, casting over and over with a heavy rod will only serve to reinforce that poor technique.
    My arm does get sore for the first couple of days.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 09:56:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

Very true.
    But sometimes for me, it's kind of a fun challenge to try and get that one sipper against the far bank way over there.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 11:04:12 (permalink)
    if the rod isn't balanced with the reel correctly this will give you more fatigue.
    hold the grip and then try to balance the rod with your index finger. if the rod tip falls hard to the ground this shows that the rod & reel is not balanced well and the rod tip, being too heavy, will have an effect on you arm muscles.
    i would rather have my reel a little heavy for the rod than vice-versa.

a lot of problems i see casters have is that they don't stop on there backcast. a person who is very smooth with thier cast doesn't even look to be stopping but they are so good at casting and feeling the rod load, thier stopping is very brief. you have to stop on your backcast to get the line to (sling shot) backwards, this bends the rod tip backwards as the force of the line loops behind you. once the line loads the rod is when the tip starts to flex straight up again because there is no more pull. this is the time, or just short of that, to start your forward cast. i know it sounds so easy

start with your leader and tippet the length of your rod and no longer. it's easier to learn with this way, trust me. and i would think a longer rod, say 8"-9' 6" would be easier to learn on than a shorter rod, unless the shorter rod is quite felxable.

on short casts or out to 30' or so i keep my thumb on top of the handle horizontal with the shaft. i have short thumbs so this is how i keep the rod steady.
    on longer casts i actually use my pointer finger on top of the handle horizontal with the rod shaft. this locks my wrist better and gives me more stability, i'll break my wrist as i move my rod forward, for a power cast.

single haul. to get your line moving quicker and with power backwards pull your line down with your line hand some at the beginning of your back cast. the sharper you pull the more pressure you'll put on the rod tip to fling the line backwards. the higher the line speed the more flex of the rod, the more the rod tip flexes backwards the more it's going to flex forward giving you more speed in the line and throwing the line further.

hope this helps.
    anyone who dissagrees with me, please point out what i may be explaining wrong. i'll take no offense, i learned almost all my casting ability through trial and error. what works for me might not work for others.  ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 11:05:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Very true.
    But sometimes for me, it's kind of a fun challenge to try and get that one sipper against the far bank way over there.

love it!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 13:11:33 (permalink)
    Rap

Keep at it man, before you know it things will come naturally and gracefully...

I love sitting in on casting seminars from anyone, if you have the chance, I would recommend taking one at a place local to your house, I do at least once a year for about the past 8, really helps to get different opinions and critique so you do not develop bad habits.  At the one fly  I saw some spectacular casting going on, my suggestion would be to bug one of those guys to taking you to a stream

Also, youtube works wonders.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 13:20:11 (permalink)
    Steely wrote:
    >>>... when they got their mind off of getting a textbook stroke and concentrated on accuracy - somehow they were more relaxed and their casting improved dramatically.<<<

Yep. Anglers get too self critical about technique and having a target out there is a great way to reboot your brain.

>>>the most important thing in casting an accurate dry fly is to lock the elbow to your hip and use as little shoulder as possible.<<<

Because of changes in modern rods, I sometimes hear this method dissed, and I often see casters with elbows flying and a lot of body movement. My .02 is that the old method is still preferable for most casters, because it does not breed bad casting habits. The only thing I might pick a nit with is the word "lock." I try to just take a relaxed stance and put out the least effort possible (with good form) to get the result. But you do need to come to a firm, complete stop on the forward and backcasts. I strive for relaxed but not lackadaisical.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 13:27:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

ORIGINAL: dano

Very true.

love it!!!

Very true.

Another game, though, is to try to catch every rising fish with one cast by putting yourself in the right position, with the right angle, at the right distance, to achieve the perfect drift that will result in a rise.

A few years ago during the Grannom hatch on the Little J, I went 9 for 10.  Never even came close to that again.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/07 14:28:12 (permalink)
    the best i remember was i went 5 for 5 standing in the same place. casting from about 15 feet to about 35 feet or so, around me, in the middle of the river below the kinzua dam. . i didn't see any others rising anywhere else so i hung up the hook and smoked a stogie.
    i was kinda showing off in front of a couple of spin fishermen. (i do that every once in a while for the fun of it when i can.) 

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/08 12:31:26 (permalink)
    there are several techniques for casting ie. the wulff method and the krey method.  they are on youtube to see how they do it.  i like lefty's method a bit more, especially for beginers.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/08 18:32:37 (permalink)
    i found a bunch of videos on-line that really magnifies some of my flaws.  i appreciate the help and advice from everyone.  once again, you guys came through.  kudos. 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: lawn casting and learning 2010/04/09 07:19:02 (permalink)
    I just watched a bunch of those myself, Rich.....
    Man do I have flaws.... At least now I know why some casts go 20 feet and land in a pile.
    Oh well great excuse to go fishin, I suck at casting and need the practice.....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: