Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
graveydavey
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/25 17:16:17 (permalink)

Hereford Manor

have all restrictions been removed from Hereford Manor since they might drain it? I saw a person using four poles at a time today.

41 Replies Related Threads

Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/25 17:39:58 (permalink)
    As far as I know nothing has been determined yet as to the future of the lake.  Here's the last story I saw.

http://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20418217&BRD=2724&PAG=461&dept_id=563781&rfi=6

Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 12:03:07 (permalink)
    Looks like the end for Hereford Manor.

http://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20419442&BRD=2724&PAG=461&dept_id=563781&rfi=6

FRANKLIN TWP. - Time is running out for Hereford Manor Lakes.

Advertisement
    [link=http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/redirect.cfm?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=2724][/link] The Ellwood City area's most popular fishing site is caught between state grant requirements and the Department of Environmental Protection's designation of the lakes' dams as "high hazard."

Because of those demands, the dams will be breached and the lakes drained by June 30, 2012, the deadline for a $3.2 million grant for the dams' demolition. Brian Barner, deputy director of the state Fish and Boat Commission, said that deadline will be met, whether or not there is funding to replace the dams.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 12:26:12 (permalink)
    How many would support either of these two options. Considering that funding from any other source, while perhaps preferrable, is VERY unlkely?

One of those migrating fishermen was Gergely, who represents southeastern Allegheny County in Harrisburg. He proposed that the Fish and Boat Commission take out a bond and pay for it with a $2 surcharge on fishing licenses to repair dams statewide.

Barner said a license surcharge, known as a "stamp" would be a tough sell to fishermen statewide. A basic resident fishing license costs $22.70 for 2010.

"Some of the anglers would have heartburn with a $2 increase," Barner said.

Gergely, an avid fisherman, suggested an access fee for boat launching permits could raise $800,000 for a $1 fee, or $1.6 million for a $2 fee, which would enable the commission to make bond payments for dam repairs not just at Hereford Manor, but in all 17 of the commission-owned lakes.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 12:40:18 (permalink)
    I would support the funding increase (surcharge) to help pay for the bond to repair the dams statewide.  Even though I may not fish at that lake, most of PA's lakes are man-made and sooner or later, the dams are going to need repaired and next time, it may be at my favorite fishing hole.  PA's fishing license is an entertainment bargain and would still be a bargain at $30 or more, especially for those that fish more than a couple days a year.

I prefer the statewide "stamp" for fishing licenses (more funding from all users) vs. the access fee boat launching permits.  Shore fisherman still get to enjoy the lake fishing and the dam is still required to keep the lake. 

Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 12:51:54 (permalink)
    Ball said he has approached the state Office of Surface Mining for funding under the Title IV of the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act, which charges coal companies for damage done in former strip mining operations like the ones at Hereford Manor.

"Hereford Manor is the only Fish and Boat Commission dam on a former mining site and therefore the only facility that would qualify for Title IV funds. The state will receive $44 million in 2010 and could get $1.1 billion by 2022.

But those efforts have met with no success. The Office of Surface Mining has given no indication of any effort to help build new dams at Hereford Manor. Ball said surface mining representatives said Title IV funding was intended to address acid mine drainage, not build or repair dams.

Some of that money has gone to private property owners, which Ball said was ridiculous when public facilities like Hereford Manor need funding. Matzie agreed and said public property should get first consideration for the money."

The cash is already there, the govt. just won't give it to them.  Why pay more for nothing?

Honestly, I would support either measure if the money would actually be used responsibly and for what it was intended.  I do, however, believe that lakes like Hereford would have been better suited in the hands of sportsman's clubs.
    mugz
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 18:53:41 (permalink)
    i totally agree with you. people dont realize how cheap a fishing license is compared to other entertainment and it can be used 365 days a year Statewide. to me the $38.00 we pay now for a Resident with Trout/Erie combo stamp is priceless.
    mugz
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 18:58:19 (permalink)
    total bull**** is all i got to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    post edited by mugz - 2010/04/04 03:29:19
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 19:43:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mugz

i totally agree with you. people dont realize how cheap a fishing license is compared to other entertainment and it can be used 365 days a year Statewide. to me the $38.00 we pay now for a Resident with Trout/Erie combo stamp is priceless.

while i agree with you 100%, there are people that only fish 2,3,4,5 times a year. to them a fishing license is not the same bargain as it is to people who constantly go fishing. the people who say they would pay anything for a fishing license are the people who use a fishing license all the time.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 19:47:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

How many would support either of these two options. Considering that funding from any other source, while perhaps preferrable, is VERY unlkely?

One of those migrating fishermen was Gergely, who represents southeastern Allegheny County in Harrisburg. He proposed that the Fish and Boat Commission take out a bond and pay for it with a $2 surcharge on fishing licenses to repair dams statewide.

Barner said a license surcharge, known as a "stamp" would be a tough sell to fishermen statewide. A basic resident fishing license costs $22.70 for 2010.

"Some of the anglers would have heartburn with a $2 increase," Barner said.

Gergely, an avid fisherman, suggested an access fee for boat launching permits could raise $800,000 for a $1 fee, or $1.6 million for a $2 fee, which would enable the commission to make bond payments for dam repairs not just at Hereford Manor, but in all 17 of the commission-owned lakes.

i ceratainly would have no problem paying another $2 IFFFFFF the $$$ is used for what it is supposed to be used for.

in my opinion there may indeed be people that would have "heartburn" if the license was raised. however, i dont disagree with these people being upset. imo if youre going to raise the license, raise the license and set the agenda on what the $$$ is going to be used/needed for. plan ahead and raise the license so that you dont have these reports that lakes are going to be drained/closed, dams need rebuilt, trout cost more $$$, hatcheries need repaired, etc... imo the people that will have "heartburn" are people that may feel as though theyre being "nickel and dimed" with talk about raising fees, junior license, etc... raise it to what its going to take to do whats needed and be done with it. just sayin'
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/03/30 19:56:10

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 20:00:40 (permalink)
    I would pay $2 more, heck, I would pay $10 more a year if I knew the money was going into ONLY boating ramps/ boat access/ dam upkeep for boatable lakes!  But as soon as there is a source of revenue available some money hungry idiot is going to find a way to tap it for their own benefit and what control would exist over how the money is handled?  Who would decide, would it be done openly, do they decide based on lake usage/popularity? how many checks and balances would be in place to prevent the pilfering that happens every other time there is a fund established for a particular group?

If they could answer those questions then I would say yes... but will they answer those questions? would they let themselves actually be accountable???  all we have to go on is their history of money management with the trout stamp money and erie stamp money... and how many people are happy with that?
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 20:04:24 (permalink)
    true all dat!!! unfortunately, corruption has spoiled the publics trust which imo is why people will get "heartburn" over the extra $2. gonna be a real shame if they close down hereford.

as to the boating issues, i have a hard time believing theres been a PFBC commissioner in the last 30 years that owns/uses a boat very often.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/03/30 20:15:52

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 20:20:47 (permalink)
    i have a hard time believing theres been a PFBC commissioner in the last 30 years that owns/uses a boat very often.

... if they do they sure don't ever try to launch it at Walnut on a weekend morning!!!! Or get it out of the water when the wind kicks up!
    ratherbefishing
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/30 21:17:04 (permalink)
    hate to see it go gramps taught me to fish there.
    Eyescrazy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 15:23:42 (permalink)
    Last year the conservancy and watershed group said that the costs would be comparable for either option. I'm suprised as "a water shed" that the feds would put up more funding! I would also pay the surcharge! That's a shame! I hope it's flipped around some how! 
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 15:43:22 (permalink)
    Heck spoony I'd donate $20.00 a year or more to cover 10 people that wouldn't donate.... Come on man give us a link to email some fat politician ..... Perhaps a poll with your license purchase from the pfbc ? An explanation to all who buy a license and a simple yes or no from ALL licensed anglers . Thats alot of public waters to lose close to urban areas ....
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 19:14:44 (permalink)
    The average angler who buys a license primarily for the first day of trout and goes goes fishing a couple of weekends a year would definitely flip over a two dollar license increase and there are more weekend fisherman then  everyday and boat  using fisherman. Its all about stocking trout thats what the money maker is. My opinion is that the causal fisherman would rather see more trout than lake repairs and no increase in price.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 19:42:52 (permalink)
    Great in theory .. but with less water to fish it will be even more crowded for your first day .... The circus has just gotten smaller . Goodluck to all hope for the best but if one out of ten fishermen thinks as I do we may just have a chance at saving these lakes .... Keep your 2 bucks ... Ya can't even get a burger from a fast food restaurant for that.
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 20:43:48 (permalink)
    I'm just saying that the average fisherman would flip out over an increase and since they are the majority of the people fishing law makers wouldn't want to raise prices and upset those anglers who already think its too high.
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 20:45:09 (permalink)
    And that most of the casual anglers just care about how many trout are put in. 
    Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 21:24:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AK22

The average angler who buys a license primarily for the first day of trout and goes goes fishing a couple of weekends a year would definitely flip over a two dollar license increase and there are more weekend fisherman then  everyday and boat  using fisherman. Its all about stocking trout thats what the money maker is. My opinion is that the causal fisherman would rather see more trout than lake repairs and no increase in price.

I agree with your opinion, but after Hereford is no more than a dust bowl, will it matter how many fish they stock?

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 21:50:42 (permalink)
    It's a BIG if.

Far too many unknowns as to exactly how the money would be spent versus how the money should be spent. Call it a surcharge, a stamp, whatever. It's a tax. Why tax fishermen/fisherwomen exclusively? Why not instead apportion the monies the government has and use what we (the taxpayers, not the fisherpeople) have already paid in? I know it's there; my paystub told me so.

And aren't dams created for civil reasons, not fishing oppotunities?

I'm not looking to start a full-blown debate on taxes, politics, or the value of our license. To be certain, we're fortunate to gain the benefits of the license we buy for the price we pay. But I do not agree with the notion that every problem should be solved by raising taxes and/or fees.

Losing Hereford would be awful. I'd hate to see it go. It's a very beautiful and convenient place as well as a valuable commodity to the area. Just tired of having the hat passed around and being forced to put into it.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

AK22
    Novice Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 21:56:04 (permalink)
    I wasn't trying to state my personal opinion on that lake just trying to say that your average joe fisherman could care less as long as there is no increase on licenses. In a perfect world all of our lakes would be maintained just its not gonna happen the commission is more concerned about selling licenses and the best way for them to do that is not to raise prices and to stalk trout. I think it would take a couple of the commission owned lakes to shut down before action is taken. 
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 22:27:19 (permalink)
    why don't they just charge the 2.00 and be done with it you either buy the license or not
    but by the same token why not charge people 6.00 bucks a car load when going to the state parks to pay for park up keep.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/03/31 23:55:26 (permalink)
    good ideas but are they going to have to hire somebody to stand at a gate and collect cash? what are they going to pay that state employee? can you trust that all of the cash will get turned in and get to where its needed to go?

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/04/01 00:40:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

why don't they just charge the 2.00 and be done with it you either buy the license or not
    but by the same token why not charge people 6.00 bucks a car load when going to the state parks to pay for park up keep.

LOL or charge a tax on the condom companies for the dam improvement ; perhaps they could design it for free it is the same concept. Lord knows how many of those I've seen lying around that area in the past 20 years it will certainly have an effect on sales of trojan STIMULUS packages ....

I like your idea Paul will be a sad day for all who enjoy that area . Not only the fisherfolk .
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/04/04 00:16:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: **commander**

while i agree with you 100%, there are people that only fish 2,3,4,5 times a year. to them a fishing license is not the same bargain as it is to people who constantly go fishing. the people who say they would pay anything for a fishing license are the people who use a fishing license all the time.

Ya, but the 2-5 time a year people (Weekend warriors.) Would lose out too when they can't go fish close to their home. I mean how many weekend warriors go to erie to fish once or twice? I mean I'd shell out the $2-5 extra on a liscence if the pfbc would fix the lakes and such that need fixed and not just shove it places or in their pockets. Why not actually strictly enforce the regs and those cought fishing between April 1 - April 17... Fine them people $250-500 and bank that money up to help save these d@ms... Cause pretty soon another d am is going to need repairs so on and so forth.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/04/05 09:34:40 (permalink)

good ideas but are they going to have to hire somebody to stand at a gate and collect cash? what are they going to pay that state employee? can you trust that all of the cash will get turned in and get to where its needed to go?

I don't advocate having to pay an entrance/parking fee but, if you wanted to enforce it, you could have pay boxes like they do up on Kinzua.  We use them to park at Willow Bay for ice fishing.  Never know when the warden is going to be checking and if he nails you, make sure it is fine to really nail the person and make them want to pay the $2 or $5 for parking/entrance fee.  For Fish Commission owned lakes, I think the $2 dam stamp would be the best approach.  We are going to have the pay the piper for upkeep on these dams sooner or later and if you want the Fish Commission to remain a semi-independent agency, the fisherman are going to have to support it.  As far as the "casual fisherman," and I mean that very loosely (I think even a casual 5-8 days of fishing per year fisherman gets his licenses worth), if they are going to complain and whine about it, so what.  They will still pay the extra money anyways because it is more about going away for that weekend; getting hammered with his buddies, time away from the wife/GF/kids, etc.... than it is about catching fish anyhow. 
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/04/05 10:36:11 (permalink)
    Never know when the warden is going to be checking and if he nails you, make sure it is fine to really nail the person and make them want to pay the $2 or $5 for parking/entrance fee.

A good point raised. We read and/or post a lot of threads about encountering people who are up to no good...fishing where they shouldn't be, fishing when they shouldn't be, fishing how they shouldn't be, whatever have you. Increased enforcement is a great deterrent, but it's also a great way to generate revenue. Catch more bad guys, make more money. Add that fee to a violator's tab...sort of like that CAT fund fee you pay when you get a speeding ticket.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hereford Manor 2010/04/05 12:17:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mags00

Ya, but the 2-5 time a year people (Weekend warriors.) Would lose out too when they can't go fish close to their home. I mean how many weekend warriors go to erie to fish once or twice? I mean I'd shell out the $2-5 extra on a liscence if the pfbc would fix the lakes and such that need fixed and not just shove it places or in their pockets. Why not actually strictly enforce the regs and those cought fishing between April 1 - April 17... Fine them people $250-500 and bank that money up to help save these d@ms... Cause pretty soon another d am is going to need repairs so on and so forth.

a guy that fishes 2-5x a year isnt going to be too upset if he has to find something else to do those 2-5 days. just sayin'

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: