bait question

Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/23 10:28:50 (permalink)

bait question

help me out ,tomorrow im headed up to the allegheny and i wondered if id be safe to throw out like two cans of corns then load a hook cast and wait? is that too much to throw out , i dont have the time to get a bag of feed corn so im stuck with this , any thing is appreciated

21 Replies Related Threads

ewok
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 10:50:51 (permalink)
    fish can't digest corn it will kill them
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 11:00:52 (permalink)
    That'll work fine smally. Good luck.

Corn won't kill them either....it is a little harder for them to digest, but your 2 cans will do no harm. You'd have to dump in tons, literally, before it had any adverse affects.

More info here... http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/science-digestive-habits.html

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 12:37:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ewok

fish can't digest corn it will kill them

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 13:14:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: smally hunter

help me out ,tomorrow im headed up to the allegheny and i wondered if id be safe to throw out like two cans of corns then load a hook cast and wait? is that too much to throw out , i dont have the time to get a bag of feed corn so im stuck with this , any thing is appreciated

If you going for carp, it usually always helps to pre-bait a spot your going to fish, especially in a big river like the Allegheny.  With the weather warming up lately, the carp are getting more active and will be feeding more now, especially before they start spawning in a couple months or so.  Two cans of chummed corn will be gone in no time once the carp get on it.  I've been rippin' 'em pretty good on my local river recently.
    What works for me early in the spring is putting a piece of worm or some maggots on the hook and then tipping it with a piece of corn or two.  And don't forget a loaf of cheap bread-----bread is a top carp bait, especially early in the year.  Ya can warp a suitable piece of bread around your corn-baited hook to make 'em a corn samwich, and then dip it in the canned corn liquid and squeeze a little, but not too much, so the bread will still break down in the water.  Keep it simple------and bread and corn are 'bout as simple as it gets, with a little livebait thrown in sometimes.

And don't pay any attention to anyone that tries to tell ya chumming is illegal in PA or that corn kills fish, because they don't know what they are talking about.
    post edited by pacarper - 2010/03/23 15:40:44
    ewok
    New Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 17:59:26 (permalink)
    my fault sorry???here's the answer but if you your going to help a guy out with a bait you can do better than a corn samich
    Fish

Boat

Non-game Species

Maps & Reports

About the PFBC

Careers
    Commissioners
    Grants
    Learning Center

Partners & Links

Permits & Forms

Pubs. & Products

Regulations & Laws

Q&A
    Corn for Bait – Chumming
    Question
    During the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?
    Answer
    Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
    During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 18:47:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ewok

my fault sorry???here's the answer but if you your going to help a guy out with a bait you can do better than a corn samich

Q&A
    Corn for Bait – Chumming
    Question
    During the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?
    Answer
    Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
    During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

Yea well, I've posted plenty of carp bait recipes on this forum in the past-----a little searching is all it takes to find them.  I posted some in this old thread:  http://forums.fishusa.com/m_1571/mpage_1/key_doughball/tm.htm#6513

I've posted a link to that same PFBC study on corn many times myself in response to people claiming that corn kills fish.  That study concludes that corn does not kill fish as you contrarily claimed in your first post here.  If corn doesn't harm puny trout, it sure as h e l l  isn't bad for carp or catfish------may not be the best food for them either, but corn is probably one of the most used baits when it comes to pre-baiting for carp.

It can be hard to beat corn or bread at times for carp.  I've caught carp on PLENTY of other baits as well.  You got a better bait?-----------------post it up.
    post edited by pacarper - 2010/03/23 19:00:20
    clay516
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 18:53:22 (permalink)
    Poop[image][/image]
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 18:58:46 (permalink)
    Smally I would gradually put the corn out. Dumping both cans in is not going to hold them but gradually adding more will as more carp move into the area.

Ewok you posted the study and even though it may be tougher to digest for trout it still doesn't kill fish. Now saying one grew larger when on a trout pellet diet is comparing apples and oranges. Trout pellets are a mainly fishmeal and contain high protein so even if corn did digest well the nutritional value of corn would never bulk up a fish like trout pellets would.

As far as chumming its impossible to coat the bottom just so you know unless you get a front end loader. lol If I am going to fish an area hard Its nothing for me to chum a very very large amount of bait out to attract fish.With proper chumming you would be amazed how many species of fish you can catch and just not carp. I catch smallmouth,pike,catfish,largemouth bass and chumming is really effective.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 19:09:41 (permalink)
    Steve I totally agree there are a ton more baits out there. I look at it this way for occasional carp anglers having something easy to obtain is a benefit to keep it simple. The more exotic baits cost more and are not effective on every lake so its a trial and error thing.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/23 19:32:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: accordbw

Steve I totally agree there are a ton more baits out there. I look at it this way for occasional carp anglers having something easy to obtain is a benefit to keep it simple. The more exotic baits cost more and are not effective on every lake so its a trial and error thing.

Yep, you're right.  I've tried so many different baits/flavors over the years, it's unreal.  I've caught carp on things others would never think of trying and I'm sure other carpers have done the same.  It can be easy to cornfuse ourselves sometimes with the myriad of carp baits out there.  Many times it's best to K-I-S-S.
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/24 09:14:20 (permalink)
    add more info to the situation, its a large back water , and theres always carp here , so its not that im using the corn to chum as much as to bait them , i dont see much success coming from loading a hook and casting out, where as puting some corn in the water to begin with ,

if it was later in the year id just use so softshells and slam the carp all day like i used to do with my dad when i was 5 , im just looking for excitement and a hard fight carp on 6 pound flouro would do that ,

thanks for the info though
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/24 13:27:05 (permalink)
    Hard or soft-shell crawfish are my favorite livebait for carp, and are killer at the right time of year.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: bait question 2010/03/25 23:16:25 (permalink)
    EWOK what planet you from man????
    Go find a rant page or something, what is wrong with giveing a guy some info......
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 00:22:03 (permalink)
    Smally think of chumming like a banjo minnow. lol You see the commercial that says the bait puts the bass in a feeding frenzy. Chumming some corn while fishing does the exact same thing. By adding bait to the water such as a handful of corn more than one fish is attracted to the area and they feed competitively and are less cautious.You have a much better chance of catching carp from this. Also you could always make some corn meal and chum with that too. It will slowly disolve bringing in fish as well.
    ewok
    New Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 07:59:59 (permalink)
    same planet as you brother...and i never said it was wrong to give a guy some info...how do you figure i have been ranting???by the the way carp06 who do you think you are to speak to me like that i'll out fish you any day of the week put up or shut up
    onestring
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 11:00:43 (permalink)
    lol here we go id like to see that
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 16:46:26 (permalink)
    going once going twiccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeee sold to the chum and loaded hook haha
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 19:33:53 (permalink)
    deja vu!!!!!!! Sorry not ranting, just the big long draged out informative BULL $ H I T......All that for a hand full of corn!!!!!
    And i talk how i want when i want!!!! just me....
    I put up all the time....Win some, lose some,But you better bring your best game!!!!!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 21:21:52 (permalink)

deja vu!!!!!!! Sorry not ranting, just the big long draged out informative BULL $ H I T......All that for a hand full of corn!!!!!

To be a great Masterbaiter you must know all aspects of what goes into doing it LMAO

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: bait question 2010/03/26 23:52:54 (permalink)
    Cory the best masterbaiter on the boards! lmao
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

To be a great Masterbaiter you must know all aspects of what goes into doing it LMAO

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: bait question 2010/03/27 08:37:21 (permalink)
    Yes, I know Brian...I put alot of time in, sometimes Miss M helps and makes it go faster.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Jump to: