Author
sunfishhunter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/13 20:06:57 (permalink)

Kayak Fishing

Hello,

I looked through previous threads, and didn't see anything so I figured I would post a new thread. I'm considering starting kayak fishing and have a few questions.

What kind of kayak would you recommend? I'm 5 9 190 pounds.

Also, how big of a pain are they to put on top of your car? I would like to access parts of waterways that I can't get at from the land, and I think a kayak might be a good way to do it.

I'm also curious on the risks of tipping over if you get a decent fight on your hands.

Thanks guys!

8 Replies Related Threads

sunfishhunter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/13 20:29:07 (permalink)
    I should have also said if anyone could direct me to a site, or if you want to private message me that will be fine also!
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/13 23:23:49 (permalink)
    Kayaks are awesome for fishing. I got one last year and used it all the time. The kind you get depends on how you plan on using it. If you are going to use it during warm months and be on it for extended periods of time and dont mind getting a little wet, go with the kind you sit on top of. They are stable and give you more room to move around.
    I have the kind that you sit in and it can get uncomfortable to be in for long periods of time, and if you take our legs out of the kayak and stretch it makes it less stable.
    A comfy set is very very important.

Kayaks are pretty light and easy to get on a car, I pack mine with all kinds of crap so i have to unload it all before i lift it, but alone its pretty manageable.

Make sure you get an anchor or 2 for your kayak....it is key to fishing from one.
    smallie2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/14 08:28:21 (permalink)
    Sun,I have a 12 ft native manta ray(SOT) If you fish average rivers you want something 10' to 12 ' Lakes go with something longer 14' to 16', they track better. As far as the anchor thing. NEVER anchor in a river. The anchor trolley is entanglement. Wear life vest always. Remember the sun might be shining, but the water is still very cold. When I fish lakes I use a stakeout pole to hold me. Try and paddle one before you buy. They have demo days at most places that sell them. You are welcome to paddle mine. I have mine set up for fishing rivers. In rivers you want thigh straps also. I belong to a few kayak forums, info that could save your life.
    sunfishhunter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/14 10:26:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/14 10:47:15 (permalink)

angler57
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/25 09:58:33 (permalink)

What they all said above; We use a beat up old 9'9" kayak purchased from a river livery. $100.oo.
    They sold it when it got to beat about to appear safe.

Has been everywhere. Great Lakes and Mackinaw Straits. Farm ponds, creeks (Cricks?) rivers.
    Reserviors here in southern Indiana.
    Use ultra-lite gear.
    Have caught steelhead, northern pike even an alligator gar.
    If they tow the boat we let em.
    When they tire we boat em or release.
    Have fished Lake Erie and others in rolling four foot swells. Bounces like a bobber.  

It's not about what we have the right to do.
    It's all about doing the right thing
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/25 12:52:58 (permalink)
    I got one last year, a 10 foot pelican deluxe from Dunham's, on sale for $200. I bought $7 oar locks and a rod holder for it.

It is a sit in kind and I am extremely pleased with it. There is a padded back rest and a plastic bottom. I find it very comfortable for 4-6hrs (longest i have used it) and have never had aches or pains when using it. I am 5 foot 10, 175 pounds.

I have had big bass pull me around, but I have never rolled it or flipped it. It will feel wobbley and shakey to you, at first, but after a couple hours, it will feel like an extension of your body. I am super happy with mine.

Multiple stores sell this canoe under a slightly different model, but I got one with bungy straps over the front and I store my tackle boxes in those bungies. This one at Dunhams does not show the bungies.

I would be happy to help answer any more questions.

http://www.dunhamssports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2131663&cp=761.716957.717034.2148705.694713&pageDisplay=family&page_bucket=0&int_prevBucket=0&totalProductsCount=44&pageType=family&doVSearch=no&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&showSizeSearch=false&int_nextBucket=0&page=3&pageCount=4&hasPagination=false&pageNum=4&parentPage=family

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    angler57
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Kayak Fishing 2010/03/25 19:28:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: smallie2

Sun,I have a 12 ft native manta ray(SOT) If you fish average rivers you want something 10' to 12 ' Lakes go with something longer 14' to 16', they track better. As far as the anchor thing. NEVER anchor in a river. The anchor trolley is entanglement. Wear life vest always. Remember the sun might be shining, but the water is still very cold. When I fish lakes I use a stakeout pole to hold me. Try and paddle one before you buy. They have demo days at most places that sell them. You are welcome to paddle mine. I have mine set up for fishing rivers. In rivers you want thigh straps also. I belong to a few kayak forums, info that could save your life.

Have never used anchor. Their usage in fast flowing water can be very dangerous.
    Always have a 15' line in boat.
    You can tie loosely to vines or branches.
    But, have found as in our years of drifting large boats to fish. Kayaks are great to drift fish from. And it is possible to run back up wind without making a sound.

It's not about what we have the right to do.
    It's all about doing the right thing
    Jump to: