Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Trout About
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1048
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/06 16:41:05 (permalink)

My new project.

After rebuilding 3 boats, I vowed I'd never get another project boat. I lied.......I bought another one on Tuesday. Just couldn't pass it up......I tried......honest......I did.   Picked it up today.

Tracker Guide V-16  tiller with a 9.9 Merc. The transom and floor were recently replaced....with treated wood. The transom is starting to pit.....there's holes already formed. First order of business.....rip out the treated wood.  Already sold the Merc.  The seats are for sale in the Accessories Forumhttp://forums.fishusa.com/3_boat_seats_for_sale/m_293441/tm.htm

Here's a few pics.  

No.....I didn't pay extra for the snow.

Holes in the transom.

post edited by Trout About - 2010/03/06 21:23:50

40 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/06 16:48:24 (permalink)
    Congrats on the new boat!  I know you are in for a lot of work but will be worth it.... that would be a sweet little boat for fishing smaller rivers for cats! or river fishing walleye even!  A very versatile size/style of boat for sure! Looks like the trailer's in decent shape too... is it the same year as the boat? Congrats again and have fun fixing it up to your liking!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/06 17:17:52 (permalink)
    WHOO HOO! Congrats! Is it going in the water this season...or is it a more "extended" project?

Look forward to seeing your progress.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/06 21:26:14 (permalink)
    Trailer is the same year as the boat.  It's not too bad....a little surface rust.  Needs new lights, but I planned on installing LED's anyway.  Have them on my other boat trailer and love them.

It's more of an extended project.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/06 22:16:54 (permalink)
    Your new ride looks like it has tons of potential. How's the wife with the new undertaking? I know my project would have been 10x harder without the big OK.

Also...I heard it's bad luck to change a boat name....you may still need to take that chance.

post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2010/03/06 23:01:58

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/07 08:47:40 (permalink)
    What are you going to use to repair the holes? Mine is pitted but no holes.
    Thats going to be a sweet boat when done. Good luck.

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/07 10:27:58 (permalink)
    Mika, I'm gonna remove the treated wood and replace with untreated (Thompson's Waterseal or fiberglass coated), sand all the pits/holes smooth, then glue (3M 5200) a 1/32" sheet of aluminum over the entire transom.

Slick, she's not too excited......less than not thrilled, if there is such a thing.  She called my last project The Bird Bath.  She helped build the first 2 and refused to work on the 3rd.  I may have to sign a contract stating that this is the last nautical project I will undertake.  I should have kept the 2nd one, it was exactly what I wanted for a small lake boat.  not gonna change the name, just cover it with the transom repair

Plans for the boat are:
    Replace all the wood.
    Extend the front deck about 18"
    Extend the rear deck about 12"
    Storage under the new decks
    Make the rod lockers rod friendly.
    remove all stickers
    paint
    new bilge pump
    install recirculating pump in livewell
    new switch panel and all wiring.
    bow mount trolling motor.

Trailer plans:
    PAINT
    new bearings & tires
    New wires
    LED lights
    new winch
    new safety chains

post edited by Trout About - 2010/03/07 10:37:48
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/07 12:00:32 (permalink)
    What are you going to use to repair the holes? Mine is pitted but no holes.

Alumiweld would work

http://www.alumiweld.com/h2uaw.html

http://aluminumrepair.com/land/index.asp?src=google&gclid=CPC8neOLp6ACFUFM5QodMgNzbA

http://www.durafix.com/

Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/07 18:24:16 (permalink)
    Hey, Its Clem---How have you been?

Nice project boat. I have two boat projects going at the same time. Building the jet boat and re-doing the deep-V Fisher. Just had a crane in today to move the deep-v onto another trailer. Let me know if there is anything you need. I can do any of the aluminum or steel welding you may need. I also have a sand blaster set up if you should need it.

Be careful with the transom. Make sure it is not soft. West Marine makes a product you can pour in and it will fill any voids and strengthen the wood. I would use caution when laminating anything over the existing aluminum skin. It would have the effect of sealing any moisture into the transom and speeding up rot.

Be careful with Thompson water proofing, it will not seal. Better off using fiberglass resin.

I plan on going to Erie at Ice-Out. Maybe we can get a few folks together and have some Smallmouth fun.
    I haver spent a lot of time rubbing those mermaids on those rods you built for me.

Give me call if you need anything.
    Clem

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 10:37:27 (permalink)
    I redid my dads transom using Sea Cast, a little pricey but fairly easy to work with and solid as heck. The hardest part was getting all the old rotted stuff out.

Are you blaming the pitting on the treated wood? I would think that it would be related to electrolysis, some bodies of water are really bad for that. Piney reservoir gets more reactive the closer to the dam you get. That's usually just an issue for boats left in the water though.

You guys are making me want to get another boat, that's not gonna go over very good with the "boss"
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 11:13:44 (permalink)
    Bulldog, when you did your dads, how did you form the inside before you poured it? & how much did you use? on what size boat?

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 11:34:46 (permalink)
    The form is the front and back sections of the transom made of a metal skin. The marine plywood used for the stiffining is removed by drilling and scraping----a real chore. Time consuming. You start by removing the top plate with a few screws, then the work begins. The amount you need is a volume calculation. Be sure to remove everything from the transom. All bolts screws etc. When replacing be sure to use either stainless or bronse fasteners. The galvanic reaction using regular fasteners is what causes most reactions. Stainless or bronze does not contain carbon. That is the reason the annode is on your motor. If is is off or worn, the electric current can attack your transom or any other metal surface. Comes from the electric produced from your alternator or other sources. I am by no means an expert however I have spent a LOT of money screwing things up and learning the hard way (experience. PM me if I can help you in anyway.

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 12:22:25 (permalink)
    "I am by no means an expert however I have spent a LOT of money screwing things up and learning the hard way"

I can identify completely with that statement, but if I can save someone else from going through the same "learning curve" then it's not so bad.

His boat is a Sea Nymph GLS 195. 19' Aluminum deep v. If your wood is not completely gone it will come out easier, in larger chunks. Keep in mind that you will have to remove things like the riveted tag on the transom, those rivets stick into the wood and will hold it in place when it seems like there's nothing holding it. I used an electric chain saw and a spade bit on the drill to get alot of his out. I think we used a little more than 2 buckets. The not so fun part is mixing the fiberglas into the resin. The transom will pretty much have form built in, but you have to tape off any holes. Also, I wasn't overly impressed with the company and their customer service but the product is top notch. They have a formula for calculating how much you'll need, I bought a little extra just to be safe. Their web site is pretty informative as well.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 12:42:47 (permalink)
    Bulldog1

Your right, I try to help out guys that don't have the experience with some of this stuff. I am very lucky to have all the equipment I need to work on stuff. 50 years of collecting tools and my wife let me build my dream garage. It makes working on projects nice all year long. I re-conditioned 4 boats now and I am working on #5 and #6. Two of them are mine and the others were done for friends. I do a lot of welding (aluminum and steel) for trailers and stuff. Most of the time it is explaining trailer wiring. I am going to start reading the post more often and try to help folks out.Would like to post some photos when I figure out how. Trout About is a good friend of mine. Thats why I noticed this thread. He builds some great rods. I think I have 8 of them.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 14:19:27 (permalink)
    Like2fish, I've got almost the same amount of time collecting tools and "lessons". I was fortunate enough to buy a farm with a 40' x 135' building that is now my "work shop". I just wish I had the time to use it more. Still have 2 tractors in middle restoration and a 1929 Model A that I've actually started to think about selling because I can't get to it's restoration. Right now there's 3 boats, 4 tractors, a car, a sleigh, hay wagon and various farm implements in there along with some other stuff. That darn honey do list keeps getting in the way.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 16:25:08 (permalink)
    Bulldog1--

He who has the most toys wins----Oh,Oh you are ahead of me. Time to buy something!!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 17:14:09 (permalink)
    He who has the most toys wins

At one time I had:
    3 Boats- Four Winns, 20' Jet and Glastron
    Waverunner III
    Harley FLH S&S Custom
    Yamaha VMAX 1200 with major engine modifications
    New Truck
    Somewhere around 60 guns
    No bills-All paid for

Can you tell I am single with no kids??????????

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 17:25:17 (permalink)
    my transom will be easy to remove.  There's only the outer skin...the inside is the wood.  I only have to remove all the bolts and the corner caps!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 17:46:36 (permalink)
    I only asked because the one I am doing this spring on a rebuild does not have an inner skin on the transom, so the wood will come out easy, then I will need to fab a temp"inner skin" I was just trying to get a ball park on the amount as I have not put a tape to it yet it is still under tarp snow & ice....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/08 18:06:03 (permalink)
    Pghmarty and Bulldog1--I am way behind you guys with toys....I must have signed onto the wrong forum. This one seems to be for lottery winners.

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 00:16:59 (permalink)
    deconstruction has commenced.  I removed the front cleats, the light sockets, old transducer & FF mount and the seat base plates.  Found out that there is a floor under the floor.  The prior owner installed a 3/4" plywood floor over the aluminum covered wood floor.  Probably because the original floor was bad (speculation at this point), but didn't want the work of doing it right.  We'll see once the second floor comes up.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 13:21:50 (permalink)
    Wow, that had to be one heavy boat....
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 15:10:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

I only asked because the one I am doing this spring on a rebuild does not have an inner skin on the transom, so the wood will come out easy, then I will need to fab a temp"inner skin" I was just trying to get a ball park on the amount as I have not put a tape to it yet it is still under tarp snow & ice....

The sea cast needs to be enclosed,so you would have to build your inside form and then glass over the completed transom when finished. I had to glass over the top of the transom prior to putting the aluminum trim back on. Either that or you could build an inner aluminum "box", like alot of manufacturers use, and rivet it in place. You can check with local printers to see about getting used printing plates for forms. We use 12 thousanths thick plates, some use lighter and some heavier.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 16:03:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1
    Are you blaming the pitting on the treated wood?

I certainly am.  The treated wood of today has a copper solution in it, thus creating the reaction of dissimilar metals and causing the aluminum to disintegrate.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 16:08:51 (permalink)
    The new power plant.  Actually not new.......I've had it since 2004.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 16:27:51 (permalink)
    The treated wood of today has a copper solution in it

The New Pressure-Treated Wood
    Less arsenic more copper since 2004:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/new-pressure-treated-wood-decks.aspx

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 16:38:09 (permalink)
    The most important clip from that article in relation to tin boats.

Perhaps the most important point to keep in mind relating to copper-based wood treatments and galvanic corrosion is to avoid aluminum altogether. Aluminum corrodes quickly in the presence of high copper concentrations.
    post edited by Trout About - 2010/03/09 16:40:36
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/09 17:45:03 (permalink)
    Another thought would be to use "Marine Grade Plywood"  It is not treated and uses a special water proof glue.  Several coats of Marine varnish or fibergalss resin will be adequate.  Additionally, it cones in a "Transom" thickness already if you buy it for that purpose.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/10 09:38:07 (permalink)
    I thought that could cause a problem but wasn't sure. Looks like if you'd have left it in there the whole thing would have come apart not too far down the line. Who says an old "dog" can't learn something.... Thanks.

Sweet motor BTW.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: My new project. 2010/03/21 13:26:34 (permalink)
    Removing the transom proved more difficult than I anticipated.  It seems that the treated wood swelled after being installed.  That, coupled with the packed-in aluminum power from the deterioration of the transom made it very tight.  Tried installing a hook in one side to pry it out....didn't work.  Then the other side....didn't work.  Screwed a couple 2x4's to the transom and tried to beat it out with a sledge hammer......FAIL.  While walking through the woods at work the other day, it came to me.  I'll jack it out.  Don't know why random thoughts like that pop into my head, but they do.

So, on Saturday, I tested my theory and it worked!  Here's a few pics.

Out in one piece.  Now I have a template for the new one.
    post edited by Trout About - 2010/03/21 17:41:12
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: