Rookie Boater

Author
mde42k
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/24 15:07:11 (permalink)

Rookie Boater

Hey guys im getting a boat for bass fishing this spring and im totally new to boating, just wondering wat i should expect, like what are the most difficult things to learn

9 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 15:08:46 (permalink)
    Take a boating class and read the book

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 16:34:24 (permalink)
    Practice backing up. Don,t wait till you are at the launch.
    Don,t make waves near another fisherman.Watch where you are going.
    Slow down in the dark and fog.
    Have all safety equipment.
    Stay off Shenango.lol

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 17:01:39 (permalink)
    There's lots to think about while operating your boat, it's not just wind and spray in your face without a care in the world. Once you get your "feet wet" you can relax a little more. If you're planning on fishing the big pond (Erie), be VERY careful and a watchful eye on the weather. Erie is nothing to mess with even in a boat built for the waves, let alone a bass boat. One really important piece of advice I'll give is to get a sequence that you run through EVERY time you launch your boat with putting the plug in either 1st or last on that list. If you forget, you won't be the first guy to do it but it can ruin your day. Oh, and don't run 40mph on auto pilot, at night...

Welcome to the sickness
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 17:27:44 (permalink)
    Practice backing up. Don,t wait till you are at the launch.

Make people with you Practice backing up. Don,t wait till you are at the launch.

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 18:11:37 (permalink)
    Make sure you load your stuff in the boat BEFORE you pull up to the ramp. When your coming out, take it away from the ramp and unload your stuff. I have seen people back down to the ramp and now they are going to put in a cooler,rods,etc. Had to laugh about what Bulldog said about the plug. I have done it on my small boat and on my bigger I/O. Backed it off the trailer,started it up and heard a gurgle'n sound. Engine compartment was half full of water. Got it out quick! Didn't cause me any problems. Lucky!
    post edited by Split Shot - 2010/02/24 18:13:42

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 19:55:19 (permalink)
    gotta agree with the guys, might sound repetative but they are the big ones... backing up is a biggie and '''THE PLUG'''.... aaahhhghh.... been there, done that...LOL, luckily caught it quick!, as bulldog said, get a routine down, and stick to it. Remember to unplug your lights before backing into the water, may cause you to blow a few bulbs if you keep it plugged into your tow vehicle, then you are in trouble on the trip home. Always keep a dock line tied to the boat when unloading it, they don't come back when you whistle and starting your day with a swim wouldn't be fun. You can never have too much rope on your boat!
    When you get your boat head to a local lake at a 'low traffic' time and practice the loading and unloading. Each boat/trailer combo has 'quirks' about what depth it loads/unloads easiest and it will also help you find out about what 'blind spots' you might be dealing with in your tow vehicle when on the ramps. Practicing without an audience is definitely less nerve wracking!
    One other thing I do when boating with anyone 'new' in our boats, give them a tour of your boat and safety equipment before leaving on the trip. If you are the one who has a problem it is good to know someone else on the boat knows how to make things work!
    Find out what fuses are used on your trailer and in your boat electronics and keep a small toolbox with spares fuses, bulbs, lug nuts and other tools that may be specific to your boat/trailer with you at all times (found out the hard way once that our trailer lugs weren't the same size as our tow vehicles lug wrench!! and we had lost 2 lug nuts also thanks to some parking lot sabotage )
    It seems overwhelming but is worth all the homework and practice! CONGRATS on the new boat and good luck fishing!
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/24 22:33:12 (permalink)
    "stay off shenango"...ha ha...

In all fairness...shenango can whip up in a hurry...

I told you about the "mishap" my bud & I had this spring right?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/25 09:14:25 (permalink)
    Try to get all of your buddies to learn as much as you.  It makes things twice as quick when you have a team, rather than you doing everything and them coming along for a fishing trip.  There is a good bit more work involved when you make the transition from land to boat. 

Carry a bunch of extras like Fisherlady said.  Extra bulbs & fuses for your lights (trailer, boat & tow vehicle), a tool bag for whatever unexpected issue may arise, electrical tape, duct tape, epoxy puddy, motor oil, marine grease and shop manuals for your motors. 

When driving the boat, pulling into the dock or cove or where ever, think of it as similar to driving a car on ice.  Try to judge your turns with the drifting factor in mind.  ALWAYS give way to paddlers or sailboats (no wake - or go completely around them), it is the law, and they cannot react as easily. 

Don't expect that your fishing numbers will be up right off the bat too!  Much of your shore line techniques will need to be adjusted.  Do not completely give up on your shore line spots though, as many became your favorite spots for a reason.  Just remember, that many of your lures and techniques were fishing from shallow to deeper water, so you may need some different lures to do the opposite to get the same results.  If you do fish your favorite shore spots, be respectful of those stuck to shore. 
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Rookie Boater 2010/02/26 12:39:28 (permalink)
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier... since you said it's a bass boat I would expect that you will be spending a lot of time roaming in shallow water. Your electronics may need different settings fixed for water below 5 or 10 ft deep... all electronics are different but I know the Lowrance provides a better result when you adjust for the extremes of depths (be it shallow or deep).
     Also, your boat's "draft" as reported by the dealer or on the paperwork may not be very accurate once you have the boat loaded up and ready to go. Speed also affects how deep a boat 'digs' in the water. Until you are very familiar with just how shallow your boat will clear at different speeds you need to experiment and proceed with caution. Nothing can ruin a trip faster than a damaged prop or worse yet a crack/scraped through hull because of unexpected obstacles. Our one depth reader just wouldn't provide an accurate reading once you got into less than 3 ft or were in weeds.. we carried a 'push-pole' (an extendable dock pole works great also) which we used in the front of the boat to confirm depths as we were creeping over shallow areas to get to other spots we wanted to fish. One small river system we fished had a curve that was horrible for filling in when there were water changes so we had to 'pole' it to make sure we could safely get past that 30 ft stretch.
     Make sure you have a good bilge pump also! Hopefully you will never need it but if you do.....
    Karen
    Jump to: