Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/21 10:21:08 (permalink)

3 successful trips in january...

OK, disregard the first post. i finally figured out how to upload and resize... thanks salt and over... out of three trips my father and myself landed around 20 fish.  hooked some where around 80.  there were a few days where we stopped counting at around hookup # 10 for each of us.  the lower fly zone was the hotspot for us with #8 nymphs that i tied with a custom touch...dead drifted or high sticked with little weigth.  although there were some below zero mornings and highs sometimes only 16,  i was using either a 14 ft. spey, or a 10'6'' switch, both with an eight weight floating weight forward line,so little line was ever stripped in, so guide icing was never really an issue.  some days fish were almost breaking water on the strike, others they were just sipping.  there were a few days that reached forty right before the water came up, and man, was i glad i was there then.  hope you guys enjoy the pics... hope to get up again soon...

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

35 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:22:20 (permalink)
    chromoe steel on a sac and beed in douglaston..

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:23:13 (permalink)
    fat hen...

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:24:11 (permalink)
    fat hen...

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:26:12 (permalink)
    believe it or not, htis was the second week in january and this hens belly was already a little soft...  by the way it was 40 this day...

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:27:59 (permalink)
    Uhmmm, i think you can call this one a warhorse...

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:30:15 (permalink)
    16 inches in less than 24 hrs... and each day after produced 12 or more inches.  this was first week in jan...

Attachment(s)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 10:31:56 (permalink)
    here's my son who's not even 3 yet, and i think next year he will be outfishiing us all...

Attachment(s)

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 11:39:53 (permalink)
    Looks cold.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 18:46:34 (permalink)
    fortunately and unfortunately i work in the cold a lot so i have a pretty high thresh hold.  also,  there were many years of crying on the bank while watching my father fish that broke me in while i was a child...  but let me tell you.  it's worth it; well worth it; i've been atlantic salmon fishing twice and never caught one, but my father was fortunate enough to hit a prime week on the restigouche while the mature wild salmon were running. he managed to land ten in one week with one tipping the scale at 19 lbs. despite the prestige of a wild atlantic mature salmon, my father will tell you his favorite is steelhead...  it's worth the bitterness of the winter elements to share a brief moment with one of those either silver or vibrant purple and red creatures...
    smallie2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/21 19:07:23 (permalink)
    Looks like a good trip with your dad. I'm having some issues with pics also.Cute little,(dude) kid you have, lucky to be in a family that fish.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/22 20:00:21 (permalink)
    Nice trip and shots. Thanks for sharing the post and pics. Got to love the winter season...

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/22 20:57:37 (permalink)
    yeah winter's the best i'd say...
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/25 10:20:52 (permalink)
    i was up last week end
    lots of fish, but most have been beat on pretty bad so they are skiddish
    i had to laugh standing in a hole fishing and about every minute a fish would come up, look at me then settle back down
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/02/25 14:06:36 (permalink)
    yeah, they can get that way... but that's what makes you come back
    niceadorn
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2010/03/12 02:10:10 (permalink)
    it looks so cold.but the fish is very fan.

http://www.nike163.com welcome you
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/18 12:21:20 (permalink)
    Heres a bump for two Bob... there was a time when winter fishing was common for me, but the recent fish kill has stopped me from wasting my time :)

No, in all seriousness two kids growing up coupled with life in general can put a damper on fun time at times... I have to say I almost enjoy getting my kids in to fish more than fishing myself these days.
    post edited by dimebrite2 - 2014/02/18 12:29:56
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/18 13:34:31 (permalink)
    Didn't mean that it doesn't (didn't) happen but with all the bull (here and on another well known board) about how people couldn't wait til only the brave hardy TRUE STEELHEADERS were out on the water it seems there are very few of them in existence.
    I'm not so photogenic so here are a few pics with me behind the lens.

Not cheap bobber not sure if ut was eggs or jig.

Egg under bobber

Jeez going thru the bucket I stumbled upon that shot of Grace self cupping.
    Thanks Tunes.
    When I was 20 that would have kept me busy all night.

post edited by twobob - 2014/02/18 13:39:57
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/18 13:45:00 (permalink)
    2B - by self admission "MY" TRUE WINTER steelhead days are behind me..  I been there and done that for a very long time and now moved on to another winter fishing activity.. I may still get the urge now and again to go out as a once in a while weekend warrior but not a true die hard for sure any longer..
    Many things have caused the change and these days I'm pretty happy hanging out in a warm shanty catching fish as long as my rod or at least trying..lol

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/18 13:48:15 (permalink)
    Funny about the bs and comments of true bravery... either they are full of bs, fishing on the down low and keeping their catches secret... or too busy digging out their mail box from all of the snow :)
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 07:28:52 (permalink)
    2B-

I believe that was last year.  This has not been a friendly winter for open water fishers, and with the variety of ailments going around, even sometimes when the gear is all ready to go, the body won't cooperate.  If we had the 20's to bring the flows down and then the long stretches of 35 daytime 25 night time, many more flyswatters and float doggers would have been seen on the bigger flows.  Around here, please remember, we also used to be able to go to Russell Station when it was ultra cold, and find trout, and white bass,  but that hole has closed up.  Great winter for going out on the lakes and cutting power auger holes, but word from along LO is that the perch fishing has nearly collapsed, and places like Honeoye also sound pretty fished out.

L13
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 09:14:18 (permalink)
    Guys in all honesty that remark was meant more for the other board or boards than this one.
    We are such a tiny community here that a couple guys  getting out  25-50% of the board was brave hardy souls.
    In general the other boards have a much younger makeup so there is more  macho posts than here where us old timers have pick and choose our outings and don't pretend to more hardcore than we are.
    Anyone that peeks in on that other board check and see the last time a picture was added.
    A shoot of a fish or 2 with little background to give away location isn.t going to bring the hordes under this years conditions so to me no pics means no fishing.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 10:40:53 (permalink)
    In the words of the wonderful Emily Latella, " Never mind...."

L13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 10:46:56 (permalink)
    don't worry 2b those macho hero pics on the other sites (which I don't visit) will be coming up in a few weeks as they beat their chest (or monkey) about how great they are at winter steelhead..
    It would be nice to see a pic or two here though, I know someone must be catching a fishy or two these past weeks..
    Speaking of chest, I awoke feeling like crap.. My chest is burning, throat sore and back is even worse.. I think the snow will have to stay in the driveways and gamble on mom's roof..
    Gonna sip some hot tea with honey and tie flies by the fire, yup then go to the J.O.B. later..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 10:59:08 (permalink)
    Had 4 sick calls Sun  Mon.
    Everyone seems to be suffering something right now.

Those will be spring pics not winter in my mind.
    Anything after mid Feb is spring run (at least round here where 4/1 is the very end of the rust season.
    After the first real cold snap in Nov til end Jan to early Feb is winter fishing.

No real water here has been fishable and I just haven't been able to make myself drive the 104 corridor the the SR so no winter pics coming from OldFattyFatterton I'm afraid.
    Boy over today squelched any plan for the drive today.
    The home trickle better open up this warm up or I may scratch my skin off from jonesing.

Why didn't I ever think of taking hero pics.
    Dam my pretty face would brighten this place up.
    NOT!

post edited by twobob - 2014/02/19 11:00:55
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 12:48:50 (permalink)
    Two Bob is that fella you posted a pic of the business agent for the witness protection program???
    He looks familiar...

As you know...j/k :)
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 15:21:08 (permalink)
    Well, the local ditch has not jumped today.  I am home with the same thing Tuna describes, 4th day, and lost a long weekend to it, must be able to transmit more than computer virus over the net!  But the water temp jumped to 37° F, so the shore ice has to be starting to go, and with the way the ice is going on my driveway, it should start going up pretty quick now.  But if it really gets going and we get the rain, it will be chocolate soup for about a week.  But when that coaster reaches the top and then starts the long downhill, be watching, because there should be some dandy action for a few days before it bottoms out again.  I know I'll start watching  for bowling balls at the bottom of the hill once I see the turn!  And as of now the GR is 686 with a turbidity of 5.5, and that does not get better, although I expect with the warmth and rain, it will blow out about one day before I can get down there.

I thought when our kids grew up, they were supposed to come over and take us fishing, help out with the broken wing and all, for all we did for them growing up?   Oh, and, look, there goes another pig, time to swing the 12 for some fresh bacon!

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 16:15:31 (permalink)
    Drove over 4 upper branches of the south eastern end rt. 11 corridor... first two had some flow... the other two look they still have 2 foot of snow on top of em. The two bigger ones to the north I'm sure will blow out hard if the rain comes. Salmon river??? Still 285...
    post edited by dimebrite2 - 2014/02/19 16:35:14
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 16:29:12 (permalink)
    I'm hoping for perfect timing to get a couiple hours as the rock creek is going out for fish that have been under the ice and ready to move.
    Of course work release timing has to coincide for that to happen.

I have found that with 5 inch prom dresses and such you can fish some pretty gnarly water.
    All flash for maximum visibility with tons of motion for the lateral line to zero in.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: RE: 3 successful trips in january... 2014/02/19 16:50:22 (permalink)
    I have tied a few such monstrosities awaiting favorable conditions in the last few weeks, and with the lingering PM daylight may actually consider a swing or two tomorrow after the labors, but where this one could peak, you will need to bean them on the head as visibility will be in the microns, and their laterals will be occupied with the vibrations of the orange blossom special running through the trench, except for those few golden hours as it goes up!  But more power to you, hope you hit it right on!

Man, do I need to go fishing and get away from this screen!

L13
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: