Shenango fish kill/die off?

Author
wilbur_83
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 402
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/02 11:31:32 (permalink)

Shenango fish kill/die off?

Fished Sat. 3/31 Shenango near the campground...Duck Lake side...didnt do so good but there was thousands of dead fish laying around just about everywhere...Over on the main lake side too...Stinking the place up...

Fish looked like a large shad?  Anywhere from 6" to 12" range...Is this like what happened(s) up on Erie with the gobies?  Natural thing?

Anyone else have any luck?  Saw a few boats and a couple shore fishermen...Caught 1 small white bass on mini...

6 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2007/04/02 13:01:16 (permalink)
    wilbur,

The fish most likely WERE Shad. It is a common thing, and somewhat cyclical. It is due to the relationship of water temperature, and oxygen content as the lake warms after ice out. A quick warm up seems to increase the die off.

As for the Gobies in Erie, VHS is the suspect. Not the case in Shenango. Arthur is experiencing a Shad die off also. It's natural. 
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2007/04/02 13:03:47

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2007/04/02 13:55:25 (permalink)
    Thanks spoony...I suspected that after thinking on it...

I spent alot of time up there as a kid and there always was a fish kill every year but I dont remember it being that bad...

Back in the day for sure...spent or tried to spend my whole summer there in the campground...Ate LOTS of fish...Probably 2-3 times a week....Makes you think....
    PumaJeff
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2007/04/04 08:57:04 (permalink)
    Was at Shenango Saturday (3/31) and yesterday (4/3) and yes those are shad. As Spoonchucker stated, it is a normal thing in early spring. Some years are worse, this year being one of those. Those are some big shad! Stripers must love those babies!!! So do the bass. I've caught 3 lb bass there, with 10" shad sticking out of their mouths. Water temps are in the mid 50's there. A bit warmer than I thought it would be. Did very well Saturday for bass, but yesterday was slow. Go figure, yesterday was a full moon, south winds, and fishing was slow. ????? I guess that's why they call it "fishing", and not "catching". LOL
    PumaJeff
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2007/04/04 08:59:10 (permalink)
    The quick warmup, as Spoonchucker stated, may be the cause of the worse than usual shad kill. Shad is the only fish I seen dead, floating. 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2007/04/04 10:44:15 (permalink)
    There was a 26? inch pike at the parking area just off 18, and another of same size by roadbed at the celery farm. Seen shad die off this big many times at sh.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    Re: RE: Shenango fish kill/die off? 2018/03/04 11:05:28 (permalink)
    Lets hope for a big die off this year

Jump to: