Brain-eating amoeba in warm, still water

Author
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/27 13:19:38 (permalink)

Brain-eating amoeba in warm, still water

I try not to be the reactionary type and there's no call to think this is a pandemic or anything, just a bit of information that might help protect you in the future.
PHOENIX -- A 14-year-old Lake Havasu boy has become the sixth victim to die nationwide this year of a microscopic organism that attacks the body through the nasal cavity, quickly eating its way to the brain.Aaron Evans died Sept. 17 of Naegleria fowleri, an organism doctors said he probably picked up a week before while swimming in the balmy shallows of Lake Havasu.According to the Centers For Disease Control, Naegleria infected 23 people from 1995 to 2004. This year health officials said they've noticed a spike in cases, with six Naegleria-related cases so far -- all of them fatal.

Further on in the article...
Though infections tend to be found in southern states, Naegleria has been found almost everywhere in lakes, hot springs, even some swimming pools. Still, the CDC knows of only several hundred cases worldwide since its discovery in Australia in the 1960s.The amoeba typically live in lake bottoms, grazing off algae and bacteria in the sediment. Beach said people become infected when they wade through shallow water and stir up the bottom. If someone allows water to shoot up the nose -- say, by doing a cannonball off a cliff -- the amoeba can latch onto the person's olfactory nerve.The amoeba destroys tissue as it makes its way up to the brain.

The rest of the article is here. As often as I reach into my bag and grab a sandwich after releasing a fish, or get splashed int he face releasing fish while wading the shallows, this is a good reminder to stay aware.

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish

3 Replies Related Threads

STH FEVOR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Brain-eating amoeba in warm, still water 2007/09/27 16:35:36 (permalink)
    After reading this i know i'll be changing some of my habits...
    jug
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Brain-eating amoeba in warm, still water 2007/12/19 17:26:17 (permalink)
    No more scooping up water with your hat and putting it back on full of water during those hot summer days! 

I'M ON A MISSION
    IM GOING FISHING
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Brain-eating amoeba in warm, still water 2007/12/19 20:27:25 (permalink)
    I'm going to use this the next time someone asks what the h*ll is wrong with me.

Thanks!

Jump to: