DRIFTING FOR CARP

Author
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2089
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/03 17:44:39 (permalink)

DRIFTING FOR CARP

Just curious. I have a big river around my way and It is loaded with big carp. I have been using my center pin for the last few years and I am woundering if I could drift a bait. Most of what I have read is about putting your bait on the bottom(bait and wait). Its a tidal river and It would be much more fun to fish for them like steelhead. And hints would be cool
jonny 

10 Replies Related Threads

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/03 18:55:22 (permalink)
    There are a lot of ways to fish for carp. Even though a majority is bottom baits there are many techniques. You said you used a centerpin already but carp will actively feed on the top and all ranges in between. I would try using a float. I have fished this way on rivers and its a lot of fun seeing them rip off with it. Sometimes I will weigh the float a little with splitshots to slow the speed down. and adjust the length to my desired depth. Just like bass if you focus near structure a lot of times they will be in that area waiting for the food to come right to them.In many ways they will position themselves like a bass for freebies.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/03 19:16:06 (permalink)
    I only drift with a float. Thanks for the advice accordbw. Do you chum them. Its a tidal river so its a little different that the norm.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/03 19:32:28 (permalink)
    In lakes I will chum and on rivers if you chum you want to use something that will be a little more solid so it doesn't break down quickly and surge downstream. I know you said tidal but do you have any calm at all or is the entire river tidal. Also how far out do you plan to fish for them? Just trying to get a feel for what your river is like to give you some info.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/03 20:45:58 (permalink)
    The whole river is tidal. It runs parrallel to the hudson river.  It is loaded with really big carp. I have caught them on spinning gear after a long effort. I dont know if it makes a difference but the carp in tidal rivers fight so friggin hard. I have landed a 15lber and I swore it was a striper at first. Its deep in some areas. Cant wait to give it a try with the pin. Its just a pain in the ****waiting for them to eat. Im hoping floating with the pin will intice them. Either or, It good practice.
    fishon 
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2010/02/03 20:48:25
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/03 22:36:20 (permalink)
    I would say use some chum that is not light so it doesn't get swept away but stays in a certain area and wil spread a little. Maybe some boiled field corn but not a lot. Just enough to get a few feeding. Just a little here and there will keep them in the area. When they start to feed it triggers a frenzy among the smaller ones. Usually the larger ones will be nearby but cautious and will hang away from the main feeding area.The smell also will drift downstream and lure them to the food source.I think the strain of carp plays a big role in how hard they fight. Some fight food but then others fight like a freight train.Some of my battles have lasted over 40 minutes and thats on heavy duty gear.It seems they just didn't lose any energy.I am not sure if you are familiar with different chumming materials to use but if you need some ideas let me know.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/05 13:44:39 (permalink)
    You're best bet is in the spring when carp put on a "run" of sorts. If you can get them when they are actively moving upstream to spawning areas you can drift and catch them, but make sure your offering is almost dragging bottom. They will hit baits and even minnows occasionally suspended or near the top but keeping your bait near the bottom will get more hits. If I run into this situation I will put the float a few inches deeper than the water depth so it drags just a touch. It's not steelhead fising. Carp don't generally care about natural drift speed, plus, think about it- If a worm or other bait is being moved by the water on the bottom, it will sort of bounce along, pause, roll, repeat. Dragging simulates this. If you want to drift deeper than 5-6 feet a slip float will do the trick.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/05 17:39:45 (permalink)
    Thanks accordbw and joe. The only thing im afraid of is snags. There is alot of crap in this river. Its called the hackensack river, we call it the crapensack. From a boat we have killed the stripers in the bigger part of the river(brackish and deep 60+feet) My friend with the boat moved so carp it is. Thanks again.
    fishon
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/08 18:56:09 (permalink)
    This may not be helpful info as far as drifting techniques or anything, but I have seen carp surface feed on dead may flies that are floating in the river. I don't think there is much a hungry carp won't eat. 

I'd rather be fishin...
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/09 16:12:45 (permalink)
    just a little more info for you, lift a rock see what bait is in the river. If there are crabs, you can have the time of your life. catch a couple crabs and rip the tails off and use them they will look like a ball when placed on the hook. and carp are BIG on scent, find a slower deep channel and use a slip sinker and bounce off the bottom. AHH, my secret is out in the open. just make sure you hold on tight!!!
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: DRIFTING FOR CARP 2010/02/09 18:05:16 (permalink)
    Good Idea. Id have to bring a second pole. Im gonna try center pinning for them. I plan on just setting up like I do for steelhead. Float, shot, hook close to the bottom and see if they pick it up. If they do Its gonna be a fun, fun day. I just always bait and waited for them in the rivers. Heavy weight and some dough. Hey, ya never know.
    fishon
    Jump to: