Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
takeagillpill
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/26 15:03:52 (permalink)

Bowfishing

come on everybody lets get a push for a Bowfishing section of the forum!

"At deercamp there is no stress, no pain, no disease, no IRS, no Janet Reno."

66 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 15:36:42 (permalink)
    I vote NO.
    MAGIC MAN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 16:14:59 (permalink)
    i'm with ya,gillpill and i can get alot of people to go along. serious bowfishermen to share knowledge and locations. bowfishermen don't seem to mind the so called spot burn,most are always happy to help out and aren't on some kind of high horse. there are no wanna be riverkeepers in this sport.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 16:50:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: takeagillpill

come on everybody lets get a push for a Bowfishing section of the forum!

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 19:25:54 (permalink)
    i love it guys... lets do it! yeah spotburn, in bowfishin its the more the merrier! i love those long shots when they are flyin through the water, and i got a big dip of redman in.

MAGIC MAN
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 19:34:43 (permalink)
    shooting carp,big dip in. this is starting to become the best chat ever.
    you definately know what's up.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 19:35:43 (permalink)
    i think we are best friends! hahaha

MAGIC MAN
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/26 20:02:38 (permalink)
    the only bad thing about talking bowfishing now, is the long wait till spring. maybe tomarrow i"ll go out and clean the boat up and work on the lights. ha ha.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/27 00:17:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MAGIC MAN

the only bad thing about talking bowfishing now, is the long wait till spring. maybe tomarrow i"ll go out and clean the boat up and work on the lights. ha ha.

What?  Ya can't shoot carp thru the ice?
    deadhorse11
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/27 12:40:29 (permalink)
    I'm a beginner with bowfishing. I'm in.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/27 16:04:53 (permalink)
    what equipment does everyone use?

i have 2 bows both single wheel compounds set at 40 lbs. one is an old ben pearson with a bohning lightning hand reel and the other a darton sl50 with an ams retriever. i also aquired a recurve last summer and this spring i think i will put the hand reel on it and make it my weapon of choice. the recurve is a really old shakespear. i always wanted to try a recurve for bowfishing, i like the fact that if one is really close i can pull it back slightly to prevent pinning the fish to the bottom.

well 3 more months and i cant wait!

MAGIC MAN
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/27 21:07:07 (permalink)
    i use an old pse set at 50lbs,ams retriever,whisker biscuit rest,muzzy arrows with carp tip, usually take recurve as back up or for snap shooting. some nice new models are out like compounds with no letoff so they can be used for snap shooting. i found that those hand wrap reels have too much drag for me.the ams wave rest is also a good option. won some gear at the last shoot and tried out that rest, not bad.
    carpklr5point
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/29 09:06:48 (permalink)
    oh no. dont get the magic man started on bowfishin, that will bring out all the cry babys.(MM)cant wait to get in the boat,throw in a dip of skoal,fire up the lights& shoot em up!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/29 19:01:51 (permalink)
    You called?

If you can get some of your bowfisherman friends too clean up their act on the lakes some, I might not have as much as a problem

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/29 19:21:44 (permalink)
    nothin beats the time i went up to linesville (where they feed the carp) and took the bow. on the left side you can fish and i was throwin bread 2 feet outside the "no-fish line" and everytime one ventured out for a bite to eat WHAMMY. well after fillin a garbabge bag of em, i was just about to call it a day when i turned around and saw a family with 2 kids that looked like they spent 300 dollars at the souvenier shop. I heard the father say " i cant beleive they are allowed to fish here, those poor things" and one of the kids asked " why does that man have a bow" i felt i had an obligation to demonstraight! and with a final whack with my "fishbilly" i had filled my bag and ruined a family's perfect kodak moment.

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/29 19:39:45 (permalink)
    *Listens to the sound of people digging their "sport" into it's grave*

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/29 21:21:28 (permalink)

nothin beats the time i went up to linesville (where they feed the carp) and took the bow. on the left side you can fish and i was throwin bread 2 feet outside the "no-fish line" and everytime one ventured out for a bite to eat WHAMMY. well after fillin a garbabge bag of em, i was just about to call it a day when i turned around and saw a family with 2 kids that looked like they spent 300 dollars at the souvenier shop. I heard the father say " i cant beleive they are allowed to fish here, those poor things" and one of the kids asked " why does that man have a bow" i felt i had an obligation to demonstraight! and with a final whack with my "fishbilly" i had filled my bag and ruined a family's perfect kodak moment.
    This makes you feel good ??? Why ??? Also do you have to chew to bowfish ?? Your right you should start a bowfishing forum, just not on fish usa.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 13:37:36 (permalink)
    this is the bowfishing forum. and no i dont think you have to chew to bowfish? do you have to chew to do any activity? i mean besides eating. and i posted that as a response to mm about bowfisherman cleaning up their act. bowfishing is what it is, there is no candy coating it. actually bowfisherman dont leave anything behind more than i can say for some anglers who leave worm cups, hook packages, drink bottles, jerky wrappers, thrown all over the shore. carp are a introduced, sh1t eating, non-edible, waste of water space. people who enjoy catching other gamefish such as walleye, crappie, perch, northern, muskie, cats, trout, bass, etc. should actually thank us for what we do. carp eat ALL other fish's eggs and spawn. 

clay516
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 14:28:10 (permalink)

this is the bowfishing forum. and no i dont think you have to chew to bowfish? do you have to chew to do any activity? i mean besides eating. and i posted that as a response to mm about bowfisherman cleaning up their act. bowfishing is what it is, there is no candy coating it. actually bowfisherman dont leave anything behind more than i can say for some anglers who leave worm cups, hook packages, drink bottles, jerky wrappers, thrown all over the shore. carp are a introduced, sh1t eating, non-edible, waste of water space. people who enjoy catching other gamefish such as walleye, crappie, perch, northern, muskie, cats, trout, bass, etc. should actually thank us for what we do. carp eat ALL other fish's eggs and spawn. 

Here we go with one of these types. You should get your facts staight about carp. They rarely eat other fish eggs no more than other spiecies. And one of the best carp lakes I fish have abundant numbers of most the fish you named. Explain that. As far as what you did at linesville you must be very proud.

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 16:31:57 (permalink)
    Ok this is why no one ever can just let things go. I fish for carp and obviously when guys say bad stuff I defend my sport and when people say bad about bfishing you will defend yourself as well. We have threads like this once every few months so here goes.

Littering is going to happen no matter what you fish for and how you fish so don't act like all bf don't litter. We have guys here who leave fish in the trash cans or floating in the water. Not saying you do but it happens and is annoying when you have dead fish rotting on the banks.

You are correct carp were introduced but as a food source and by the government some 150 years ago. Carp are edible but have many bones but most anglers choose not to eat them.Its funny you say not edible because on a cooking show in new york they just had them as a delicasy charging a lot of money for them prepared by a top chef so they can't be all that bad.

As far as chit eating they are a bottom feeder just like a catfish so they eat basically the same things but carp are more powerful so you will see them eat crayfish and freshwater clams whereas catfish can't break those down.

Carp are a gamefish in PA in case you did not notice. They do not eat eggs like you are saying. There are many myths out there about carp and its one of those things people think if you say it enough it becomes true and it does not. Carp are not predatory so any fish you have on a bed will chase it off. Even though they are a big fish they spook easy and will not start a confrontation with other fish.

I will agree that some lakes are overpopulated and that has to do with a lot of manmade problems. When too many guys take out the predatory fish then less carp are eaten during the spawn so more survive and grow.Now if you fish a good well managed lake that has the normal supply of carp you will find it larger bass and pike as they are a great food source for them.All the big bass lakes I fish are also good carp lakes as well.

One thing I never understood and bf can never grasp is the biology behind killing big fish. You realize when you shoot a big fish the biomass is replaced by smaller fish right?So when you shoot a 30lb carp you may get 3 10 lbers in its place and thats how the population overcrowding starts. Also most practice bowfishing to sharpen there aim for deer hunting and whatnot so I also never figured out why shoot the biggest when the smallest would be more of a challenge. I know when I shot bow when I was younger when I practiced it was not for larger targets because that defeats the purpose of practicing.

On a final note you can find bad things about any specie of fish if you look hard enough and one thing that most people fail to see is carp even though introduced have been in the waters longer than most smallmouth and many other species that have also been introduced after them. The only reason they are called invasive is a lot of guys don't fish for them so they have not had the "accepted status" so to speak.
    buckcs64
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 16:39:47 (permalink)
    If you want to talk bowfishing go to bowfishingcounrty.com. You will talk to ppl who understand and bowfish regularly. Carp are a blast on rod or bow.
    post edited by buckcs64 - 2010/02/27 11:36:24
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 16:45:43 (permalink)
    Here ya go,its a diner but a lot of guys eat it since they know how to prepare it correctly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bFCbifraN0&feature=player_embedded I will see if I can find the expensively cooked ones.
    buckcs64
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 16:52:58 (permalink)
    I've heard that the ones overseas have a different taste for some reason.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 16:57:10 (permalink)
    You have to realize also that there are many different strains of common carp as well.That will alter the taste and also the natural food supply for them will change the taste too. If you taste any fish not just carp from different waters they can alter in taste depending on what the diet was of the fish.Some are more subtle taste differences while others are more noticeable.

ALso forgot to mention your older carp may contain heavy metals from being a bottom feeder and years of eating add up.I would imagine a lot of the ones they were eating were younger as there is less likelyhood of this.
    post edited by accordbw - 2010/01/30 16:58:24
    buckcs64
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 17:02:02 (permalink)
    Well spoken.

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 20:31:44 (permalink)
    i posted that as a response to mm about bowfisherman cleaning up their act. bowfishing is what it is, there is no candy coating it. actually bowfisherman dont leave anything behind more than i can say for some anglers who leave worm cups, hook packages, drink bottles, jerky wrappers, thrown all over the shore.  

Your response kinda proves my point duUD , like said above that didn't help your sport at all to "disgust a family" and that came from another bowfisherman yet too LMFAO!  As for the garbage thing..Some of you seem to like to leave your shot fish on the shore at times, nothing like the smell of a rotting carp in 85 degree weather for the people fishing from shore.

As far as chit eating they are a bottom feeder just like a catfish so they eat basically the same things but carp are more powerful so you will see them eat crayfish and freshwater clams whereas catfish can't break those down.

Cats especially bigger ones can crush crayfish and mussels with no problem and they both feed throughout the water column even though they feed more on the floor

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    clay516
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/30 21:24:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: buckcs64

I bowfish all spring, summer and fall. I'm prob into it more than most in Pa. It really doesn't help the sport much when you disgust a family, or give the sport a bad name. If you want to talk bowfishing go to bowfishingcounrty.com. You will talk to ppl who understand and bowfish regularly. Carp are a blast on rod or bow. Ppl need to understand that carp can overrun a lake and do have some negative impact. Just my opinion,

When carp over run a water its usually a result of another problem like pollution over fishing other speicies. Carp are tough and survive conditions that other fish cant.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/31 02:55:59 (permalink)
    Aahhhhh, these kinda threads are always entertaining.

What else can be typed that ain't already been typed on this topic and the war of words on the fishing forums over the years.
    There's plenty of mis-truths out there about common carp that many people like to accept as fact.  Carp are at times made the scapegoat that cause an unbalanced fishery, when actually they are a symptom of a much larger problem.

Sometimes some bfers posts things (even if posted in jest) and act in ways that aren't exactly favorable to their sport.
    A specific separate bowfishing section here on this forum might help to prevent these kind of threads...............or maybe not.  One way to find out I guess..................
    As has been pointed out, there are some bowfishing specific forums out there including this one as previously mentioned: http://bow.fishingcountry.com/bfcforums/
    I came across this thread too-------I guess fish can be shot thru the ice:
    http://forums.bowcountry.com/bcforums/showthread.php?t=34979

buckcs64
    New Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/31 09:19:04 (permalink)
    As in any sport there are always ppl that give a bad name to their sport.
    post edited by buckcs64 - 2010/02/27 11:37:30
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Bowfishing 2010/01/31 09:34:22 (permalink)
    you have to read the WHOLE post, that guy was freakin out because people were fishing (you know with a pole) he said "poor fish" this guy was PETA whack-job so i embellished the act. and like buck said most people wont except it, i dont feel that i should have to look around and make sure i dont "offend" anyone while i enjoy my sport.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: