Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
takeagillpill
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/20 20:41:21 (permalink)

Ted Nugent

who else is going to see ted nugent on Feb. 19th?
he is doin a seminar at the Outdoor Times Hunting and Fishing Show in Altoona. ive met him once already and seen him 5 years in a row in concert, one bad**** all american, deer slayer there! : )

"At deercamp there is no stress, no pain, no disease, no IRS, no Janet Reno."

61 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/20 21:12:21 (permalink)
    Town Bad**** is more of a but badass....

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/20 21:40:06 (permalink)
    Not much of a nuge fan myself. 

If I remember right, the last Deer & Deer Hunting mag had an article by him talking about why we should be allowed to hunt over bait. Not my cup o' tea.

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/21 16:38:45 (permalink)
    I dig 'em.

He may be a little over the top at times, but at least he's a public voice out there in support of our outdoor way of life. Too few of them anymore.

kill it & grill it.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 09:45:07 (permalink)
    hey drake, do you hunt over cut corn fields, or in apple orchords, or in a stand of white oak???, all bait. Do you use scents like mock scrapes or code blue???, all bait. if apples/acorns are falling to the ground 60 yards from my stand what is the diff. moving them to 20 yards? Nugent just calls it like it is. Deer have ALL the advantages!!! they are a master of their terrain, knowing every nook and cranny, every safehaven. they can simply become nocturnal and YOU will never ever see them and then complain you dont see deer. there sence of smell and hearing are amazing and there sight just as good as our own. man should be able to use any advantage they can. Like pork said he is the only true voice for ALL and ANY kind of hunting and 2nd ammendment rights. This is why hunting alltogether will cease to exsist because we dont need anti hunters bad mouthing our sport we have fellow hunters doing that already. between the crossbow whiners, the bait whiners, the use of dog whiners, this, that and so on... its ridiculous! If you have a problem with any kind of hunting your not a hunter you might as well attend the next PETA rally!  

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 10:04:25 (permalink)
    Always good to have support for our hunting rights but I think I'll have to go along with Drake on this one. Just not real fond of the way he comes across. His stick it in your a-- attitude towards the anti hunters won't cut it with the folks sitting on the fence regarding hunting issues. It may be the way we feel but I think it conveys a bad impression to the non hunters that are not necessarly anti hunters. Just my opinion.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 10:40:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: takeagillpill

hey drake, do you hunt over cut corn fields, or in apple orchords, or in a stand of white oak???, all bait. Do you use scents like mock scrapes or code blue???, all bait. if apples/acorns are falling to the ground 60 yards from my stand what is the diff. moving them to 20 yards?

If there is no difference between laying out apples and apples falling from a tree, why is one illegal and the other not ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 10:54:12 (permalink)
    it's a PA thing.  just because something is not your cup of tea does not make it wrong.  every one should support any other type of legal hunting.  if it's not legal here but legal somewhere else, then so be it, i support it - even crossbows now.  bashing one else's way of hunting is not helping our cause.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 11:16:09 (permalink)
    HUNT Definition---to pursue or pursiut of game. You go after the game in it's natural setting.

BAIT Definition---something used in luring. You make the game come to you in a un-natural manmade setting.

By definition baiting is not hunting and if you think hunters should support everything someone dreams up to make money by making it a shooting outing rather than hunting I suggest you are doing more to give hunting a black eye than those who speak up against it.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 11:28:29 (permalink)
    2 sides to every coin....

Hunting originated of necessity to eat. We've ALWAYS hunted.
    Do you think the first hunters would have passed up ANY animal that they found in their crops/garden?

Or would they have killed 'game' over 'bait' and fed their family?

There I was back in the wild again.
    I felt right at home, where I be-long.
    I had the feeling, coming over me again.
    Just like it happened so many times be-fore. eh.
    The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
    Makes me feel warm and good in-side.
    I knew his name and it was good to see him again.
    Cause in the wind he's still a-live.
    Oh Fred Bear
    Walk with me down the trails again.
    Take me back, back where I be-long.
    Fred Bear
    I'm glad to have you at my side my friend
    and I'll join you in the big hunt before too long
    before too long.
    It was kinda dark, another misty dusk
    it came from a tangle down be-low.
    I tried to re-mem-ber everything you taught me so well.
    I had to de-cide which way to go.
    Was I a-lone or in a hunter's dream.
    Cause the moment of truth was here and now.
    I felt his touch I felt his guiding hand.
    The buck was mine forever more!!
    Oh Fred Bear
    Fred Bear
    before too long.
    We're not alone when we're in the great outdoors
    We got his spirit We got his soul
    He will guide our steps and our arrows home
    The restless spirit still roams
    Oh Fred Bear
    Fred Bear
    before too long.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 11:50:45 (permalink)
    I Like the poem Hunting because your life depends on it is a "whatever works"situation. I would suggest what we do is hunt for sport with the added benefit of keeping the wildlife in balance with available food sources. I don't believe setting up overlooking a pile of sweetened corn or grain is hunting, but merely shooting as is done with sharpshooters in many locations to cull areas of deer overpopulation. Have you ever heard someone say they want to hunt deer over bait for the added "challenge" of it?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 12:36:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

BAIT Definition---something used in luring. You make the game come to you in a un-natural manmade setting.

As is doe in heat, rattling, grunting.....  They are natural sounds and scents used to lure our quarry in a man-made way.  Like a pile of apples as opposed to randomly dropped apples from a tree. 

It is what it is.  Baiting is used by many to manage the resource better by the way.  The baiting of bears allows the harvest of bears from vast expanses of forest in canada and the opportunity to be selective on the age and sex of the animal you shoot.  Baiting is used in Texas the same way to pull animals out of the scrub for selective harvest.  Used in Alberta to concentrate deer for a decent chance to harvest animals where winter mortality is a factor.

Has its applications IMO.  If a non-hunter questions why someone would hunt over bait, maybe explaining the benefits of it would make that person accepting of it.  Telling that person that hunting over bait is not hunting and that those that do it are more interested in the kill will not improve our image IMO. 

post edited by dpms - 2010/01/22 12:37:46

My rifle is a black rifle
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 13:01:22 (permalink)
    Great way to put it dpms.

And I'm not disagreeing w/ you 1 bit S10. I think we feel about the same about it.
    (baiting/hunting, not the Nuge!)lol
    I just try to be as tolerant to others ways of hunting as I can, because, it takes all kinds, the more the merrier, united we stand, divided we fall..all that jazz.

EDIT:

I got away from Ted there.....just wanted to add, the guy puts on an AWESOME concert. Seen him somewhere around 6 times. Good times.
    post edited by Pork - 2010/01/22 13:16:06

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 13:19:45 (permalink)
    Alberta and Texas high dollar hunting--- rather than trail watching, spot and stalk, still hunting or driving you ride out to your stand in a four wheeler with a spreader hooked to the rear. You climb up in your stand and open the window facing down the trail you just came in on. Your guide slowly drives back down the trail, engages the spreader and lays down a path of feed. As soon as he is out of sight the deer come out of the timber and start feeding. You pick out the best one, shoot him, the guide returns with the four wheeler and wagon, takes your picture and heads for home with another great white hunter who is $4500 lighter in the wallet. Some Texas hunts dont even pretend, they just shoot them under the tripod feeder. It's a lazy man's way of shooting a animal without the guide having to worry about having someone to keep from him getting lost or falling down and skinning his knee. You can sell me on the bears in some areas of Canada because of the terrain (I've hunted there) but the rest is just paying for a animal to shoot and by definition is not hunting and your not kidding anyone when you try to say it is. You have to learn how to use the calls and lures to be effective but bait is just what the name implies.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 14:01:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

HUNT Definition---to pursue or pursiut of game. You go after the game in it's natural setting.

By definition baiting is not hunting and if you think hunters should support everything someone dreams up to make money by making it a shooting outing rather than hunting I suggest you are doing more to give hunting a black eye than those who speak up against it.

Not arguing here, just defining.

Since watefowl decoys make game come to you, do you consider that baiting?  How about turkey decoys?  Big game decoys?

Just asking.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 14:01:46 (permalink)
    Some valid points about Texas for sure, but it is hunting to those that do it. Baiting and hunting go hand in hand in most parts of Texas.  It may be different here versus there.

The point being baiting has its place and we are better off pointing out the positives versus us classifying others based on how they legally hunt.  

My rifle is a black rifle
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 14:09:12 (permalink)

Alberta and Texas high dollar hunting--- rather than trail watching, spot and stalk, still hunting or driving you ride out to your stand in a four wheeler with a spreader hooked to the rear. You climb up in your stand and open the window facing down the trail you just came in on. Your guide slowly drives back down the trail, engages the spreader and lays down a path of feed. As soon as he is out of sight the deer come out of the timber and start feeding. You pick out the best one, shoot him, the guide returns with the four wheeler and wagon, takes your picture and heads for home with another great white hunter who is $4500 lighter in the wallet.

Hey S-10, if Jackie Bushman called you today and said you won this hunt, your **** would be there in a heart beat.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 14:45:02 (permalink)
    Might as well bait, the Quality Deer Management guys with the large posted tracts putting in food plots do. It's just a different type of baiting, as I have, and many of you also have, pointed out in this and other previous posts.A pile of apples or a apple tree.Sack of corn or corn field.Uncle Ted is definately off the wall but he does speak for the hunters and you know exactly where he stands. He may turn some on the fence away but he gets some of us off our butts.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 14:55:24 (permalink)
    DarDys= With decoys you find the game where they are naturally and set the decoys up. With bait you put it out in an area you want to lure them into. Ex-College campus or park, they put out bait to lure the deer into an area where sharpshooters can kill large numbers without upsetting or endangering the locals. Gillpill-- If Jackie wants to make me famous on one of his shoots I'll pack my bags but I won't brag on what a great hunter I am unless the feeding station is out of sight of the camera.I won't pay to go on one just to shoot an animal. That's the difference, I think, with what most older hunters were taught about hunting versus what the younger generation has been led to think hunting is all about by all the programs now on tv. The success of the hunt should be based on the total experience not just the size of the pen raised, or baited animal you sat in a heated blind and shot over a bait pile. Heck- I can kill a deer right out my den window every season by just putting my feed out a few weeks earlier than I do now. Would that make me a great hunter or just a deer shooter?
    tmiller
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 15:26:43 (permalink)
    So you'll brag that you are a great hunter if you can't see the feed station? ...........You can shoot one out the den window every year by putting feed out earlier? So when exactly do you put your food out????? Sorry that's the way I am reading it. Don't make much sense to me.
    post edited by tmiller - 2010/01/22 15:29:55
    Jenna James
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 16:22:03 (permalink)
    to get back on topic, Ted Nugent makes my stomach turn. Cant stand him.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 16:23:18 (permalink)
    I think Teds heart is in the right place, even if his delivery is a bit over the top for some.

I'd hunt over a cornfield, but I wouldn't put a pile of corn in the woods and hunt over it. I think, as long as it is legal, you should hunt the way you want. If I was going to Texas and paying four or five grr to hunt (as if), I darn well want that guide to put deer in front of me. I'm not paying that kind of scratch for the "experience". I can go see the Texas landscape for free. I'm paying (outrageously) for a chance at the buck of a lifetime. That chance is what I expect. If baiting is what it takes to make that happen, then that's what should happen.

I should qualify that by saying that, for many reasons, I'll never go on that type of hunt in Texas. But if I did, what I stated above is what I'd expect.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 16:40:55 (permalink)
    tmiller--Did you happen to notice the winky icon after that statement?---- I feed deer and turkey all winter starting right after deer season is over until the start of greenup. I usually go through 5-7 hundred pounds of corn and soybeans in the hard winters. I feed at the house and carry some back in although that's becoming quite a chore in a hard winter. Once you start you have to keep it up until spring.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 17:54:26 (permalink)

I can kill a deer right out my den window every season by just putting my feed out a few weeks earlier than I do now.

OMG!!! so your telling me you feed deer??? hmm... is that because you want them to stick around your property?... you know, to have a better oppurtunity to harvest one during the season?

You just proved my point!

takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 18:01:44 (permalink)
    well yes back to the topic... i didnt know this man who has litterally devoted his life to promote common sence, our god given right to bear arms, our absolute perfect way of life by providing sustinance through hunting and fishing and traping, was so hated???

i got a good book for you guys to read if you have the time. "God, Guns, and Rock n' Roll" i promise it will change your mind. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 18:04:59 (permalink)
    Except that I start after hunting season is over and quit seven months before it starts again. I feed them through the critical time of the season to keep them healthy so you can kill them when they move into your area during the spring and fall yearling movements. Care to donate since I'am probably feeding your deer?
    tmiller
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 18:25:35 (permalink)
    No problem S-10.It was just the way you stated it ,it made me wanna ask. As far as Ted goes, he is good in my book and can be over the top like danes said. I agree with everything danes stated. 100% fair chase is the only way to go. If it is legal so be it.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 18:50:26 (permalink)
    I don't have any particular problem with Ted and I am about as strong Pro hunting/gun as you can get. I just feel he would turn off the non hunting public the way he goes about it. No doubt he is a strong advocate of the sport. As you may have noticed I don't agree with his position on baiting.
    takeagillpill
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 18:59:14 (permalink)
    S-10 for one thing i dont shoot does, ive only ever killed one and that was my first bow kill and seeing that i live in mercer county i wont be killing any of "your" deer. and no bull about keeping them healthy because feeding corn during late winter is actually unhealthy. the risk of spreading disease through unnatural concentration of deer, also deer are ruminants and in ruminants, forages such as alfalfa, or clover are used in addition to corn in order to maintain proper rumen function. when deer comsume corn it is rapidly digested by specific rumen microbes that feed largley on starch. the acids produced by this fermentation process can drop the ph in the rumen killing the microbes responsible for digestion. thus resulting in poorer body condition.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ted Nugent 2010/01/22 19:40:23 (permalink)
    Deer feed on corn year round when it is available and is sure much better than nothing or hemlock. You need to keep feeding until the start of greenup once you start. There is a standing corn field about 10 miles from me that has had 15-18 deer in every night for the last two months and they will be there until the corn is gone.they travel more than a mile and half to reach it. Corn has more protein than acorns and if you noticed I said corn and soybeans which is 26% protein. Deer yard up where there is feed and/or cover as they have done for a hundred years. I've done it for 40 years and have seen the results so save the speach. I've also read the reports on feeding from most of the states. Fish and game agencys quit doing it for fear of artifically saving more from starvation than the habitat will support. That concern is no longer valid where I live.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: