BROADHEADS

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
  • Reward points: 0
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/11 21:00:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

I have a feeling that those 3 will shoot the manufacturers products that pay the most.

Ironhed

Your probably right but not just those three---That's why they are called pros--- they make their money by endorsing products and are expected to use them on their shows. It's no secret that the one who advertises the most normally has the most successful product. As for the new head it's actually a combination of two heads that were made a long time ago. The plain ring Bodkin wildcat from the 1950's filled up with hair, tissue, etc, and the semi barbed, wavy edge Bitzenberger from the 1930's was another exotic of the time that fell by the wayside. With the possible exception of the actual hardened tip there is nothing on the market today that isn't a newer verision of an old design. The simpler the better IMO even though I got caught up in the expandable craze which actually came on the market in the 1950's with a head called the Geronimo.

It's a real shame that these TV personalities are somewhat considered "idols" by some folks.

Cool info on the bh, S-10.  Thanks.

Ironhed
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/11 21:16:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bowhuntnsteve

Honestly I don't do tests to see if they open or not. Personally I stay away from Rage because I know too many that have shot them and they either broke, some said opened up prior to impact, etc. Only way I guess is to have it videoed down range to see just prior to impact then slow it down. I can fins out and see if I can get any video or youtube vids from NAP, they do testing as well on competitors products just like any company.
Funny thing, when Rage came out, I asked my buddy about them and some "broken" questions and strength versus their mass production of units out on the market compared to failures and he didn't want to get into it. This guy is also a manager there too at Field Logic.
These pro's will shoot what feeds their family. Thats business.

I'm sure something negative can/could be found with every available head on the market. 

I shot some old, dull Rage(2-blade) bh's today. 
I put them on old arrows, opened the blades and stepped back to 20 yards.
Each shot was within 3 inches of each other and resulted in a pile of severed fletchings and splintered nocks at the base of the target!
They flew the same for me.

I agree, the ONLY way to tell if they open DURING flight is by use of a specialized video camera.  I would assume not too many of us have that kind of technology or the means.
But after my lil' experiment today, I could now care less.

Ironhed
mossy oak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/11 21:35:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ironhed

ORIGINAL: grimm reaper

or you could watch all the high speed test on a website and that will show you also will tell you that rage is rated 4 out of 10 stars for penatration with a 60 pound bow with a 29 inch draw. but once again i had bad luck with them but i know a few guys and you guys on here that love them so if they work for you then of course your going to love them.

I watched them.  None of them were done on live animals from a treestand(that's where I do my testing)so I'll reserve judgment on sheets of plywood, steel drums and deer shoulders shrouded in ballistic gelatin.

All of these tests are more supposition than they are science.

The hunter is ultimately in charge, not the broadhead.

On a side note...I do wanna try these...

...out of curiousity. 
Back to the lab...

Ironhed

Duud,

That head looks like it would put a complete hole in a deer.  Like a forstner bit thru wood, lol.  Ken, if you do try them and shoot a deer, i gotta see the hole that leaves. 

I shoot the G5 montecs too.  Performance wise, they cut like any other head.  Cant ask a dead deer if that head is sharper than the one that killed its cousin or if it hit "harder" .  Thing I really liked about them was they flew like field points out to 50yds.  Amazing after years of two hatchet cam bows and trying to get a thunderhead or satellite broadhead to not plane even out to 20yds.

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

grimm reaper
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/11 23:44:47 (permalink)
if you watch the steel barrel broadhead test on youtube you will see that rage was the worst one tested. but then again i guess that is a little differant then hitting a deer
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 02:11:01 (permalink)
It's quite ironic how they stopped the slow-mo video before the arrow actually stopped and DIDN't show the penetration on the other side of the barrel.

I'm not real fond of steel barrels...they're tough and they have to cook for waaaaay too long to make them edible.

I like venison better.

Ironhed
post edited by Ironhed - 2010/01/12 02:26:56
grimm reaper
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 06:55:04 (permalink)
haha you also cant believe to much that you see on youtube. and ironhed what kind of broadhead is that on your post i have never seen that before?
bowhuntnsteve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 07:49:09 (permalink)
that bh that ironhed posted is a different design but looking at it seems it would hinder more than help in my opinion because of the ring at the bottom. You have the vertical blades cutting and slicing on the way in then a pointed jagged ring slowing down the penetration & kinetic energy because its not vertical or inline with the blades, its dam near perpendicular which to me would act like a judo point only allowing so far and meat get caught up in the ring.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 08:23:00 (permalink)
That was the reason a similiar designed early Bodkin was discountinued. The idea was to cut a round hole through the deer allowing for a blood trough. What happened was hide, hair, and fat pluged up around the ring and prevented needed penetration. The wavy design on the straight blades proved no better than a sharp straight insert. Over the years there have been literally thousands of verisons of broadheads but as with fishing lures most were designed to remove the money from the buyer rather than an improvement on killing. There still fun to experment with though. It's still usually best to use the "KISS" method.
bowhuntnsteve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 08:43:32 (permalink)

It's still usually best to use the "KISS" method.

Isn't that the truth! When I was a hunting sales rep, that always came up in our meetings with our manufacturers on new product designs.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 09:14:27 (permalink)
Didn't Browning at one tme have a broadhead that they demonstrated by shooting through an apple (probably a William Tell reference) that produced a figure 8 shaped hole?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 09:43:48 (permalink)
Your probably talking about the Browning Serpentine from about 1970. It was another one designed to cut a plug out of the animal to create a trough for blood. As I recall, it too plugged up with hair and fat and I think they had problems with the spot welds breaking when they hit bone. It was a fancy looking head but not very efficient and didn't last very long on the market.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 12:10:59 (permalink)
Grimm,
It's called a CoreMax and it's made by OSP.
http://www.ospsabermaxx.com/index.asp

"There still fun to experment with though. It's still usually best to use the "KISS" method. "

I agree.

Ironhed
post edited by Ironhed - 2010/01/12 12:11:35
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/12 14:22:00 (permalink)

Your probably talking about the Browning Serpentine from about 1970. It was another one designed to cut a plug out of the animal to create a trough for blood. As I recall, it too plugged up with hair and fat and I think they had problems with the spot welds breaking when they hit bone. It was a fancy looking head but not very efficient and didn't last very long on the market.

That would be it. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: BROADHEADS 2010/01/19 14:01:13 (permalink)
I have been using Rage 2 Blades for the last three seasons...5 Kills with them.....Hit 1 shoulder all others were double lung/heart shot....Haven't seen a problem with penetration...I shoot a Hoyt Trykon pulling 70lbs 29in draw...Shooting 297fps with my hunting arrows (Easton Axis 400).....As a matter of fact...I broke an arrow trying to get the darn thing out of the tree that it was stuck in after it had passed through a deer....The blood trails are just rediculous.....A truly devestating broadhead...I have watched all 5 deer go down within sight...But once again...They were all well placed shots...Until I can prove otherwise with my own experience, I am going to stick with them...I have tried muzzy's, Wasps and Thunderheads...I just can't get them to fly consistantly therefore my confidence level in them is not high and I risk a bad shot. I don't know if it's the speed, poundage or arrows, but I just can't get them to fly right...I have tried it all, adjusting the blades to match fletching, cranking the poundage down and different arrows...nothings seemed to help....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: