jigs and jigheads

Author
jigpro17
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/03 15:37:24 (permalink)

jigs and jigheads

I've never really seen or heard people talk about fly fishing with jigs such as mini foo's. Is it a bad idea havin a heavily weighted fly like that?

4 Replies Related Threads

hg 61
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: jigs and jigheads 2009/12/03 17:09:38 (permalink)
    Jigpro

I read the forum but haven,t posted anything until now. I would also like to hear more about tying and fishing jigs. My first try with a jig on a flyrod was fishing a store bought minifoo. I had some luck and progressed to tying jigs on 1/64 and 1/80th size jigs. They have worked on steel, sm bass, rockbass,crappie, and trout. I keep trying different tying materials. Most success has come on marabou, polar fiber,mohair and bucktail to name a few. Would like to see others reply to this topic.

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: jigs and jigheads 2009/12/03 22:12:11 (permalink)
    I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I've never done it myself, but I know of one person who has thrown and stripped different jigs and lures on a fly rod with good results.

As far as weight goes, that is not much of a concern. I use bead heads and lead wraps in a lot of patterns, and in many cases, weight is necessary. When you want to drift slow and low in fast water, adding weight in some form is realy the only feasible solution.

My main thing is that I don't like loading my leader with split shot so I build the weight into the streamer.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: jigs and jigheads 2009/12/04 10:26:56 (permalink)
    For a couple of years my go to fly was a white marabou jig tipped with a maggot or 2. I tied them on about a 1/60 th ounce head or tied them like a clouser on a regular hook.  I would make them as long and as thick as I could using strung marabou, sometimes 3 or 4 inches long.

My favorite way to fish them was throw them out let them drift till the end of the run then be ready for the swing. I also like to just twitch/jerk them in the riffles. Kind of pull them forward then drop them back to water where I couldn't see the bottom.

So far this year I haven't used them as much as I haven't been lucky enough to find fish in the riffles on my couple of trips.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2528
    RE: jigs and jigheads 2009/12/04 12:43:09 (permalink)
    I have a few.
    Jump to: