Major Dilemma!

Author
SteelJunkie2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/01 19:03:27 (permalink)

Major Dilemma!

Ok so here's the dilemma Im only 15 about to be 16 in several days and now I need a job bad! Going into this season about 3 weeks ago I had ONE MEDIUM SIZED BOX with a few small nymphs and several wooly buggers and eggs. Now I have 2 Boxes 1 being double sided and Im running out of room! I never thought my addiction of fly fishing would become so big at such a young age but I love it!!! I find myself prowling this site until late at night, and sometimes even at school! Here are some pics. The first one is my fly box going into the season but w/o about 20 eggs. The rest are my boxes in their current state!

26 Replies Related Threads

SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/01 19:06:44 (permalink)
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/01 19:50:25 (permalink)
    get a big box for your buggers and large streamers and throw all the eggs and nymphs together in the 2 sided box.  Should free up some room for you, keep filling them up man...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/02 20:04:57 (permalink)
    you can never have too many fly boxes or too many flies for that matter !!!!

by the time you graduate HS you'll own a drawer full of boxes

www.2bonthewater.com
    SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/02 21:52:24 (permalink)
    2bonthewater I hope your right about the drawer full of boxes! And logan wade I think im going to do that...
    CaneflyfishnGSPs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 17:19:57 (permalink)
       YOOOOU just don't realize how ALL those flies will come in handy when you're too busy to tie, but want to fish bad with only a minimal amount of time to do it!!!!

It's nice to know I have enough flies for any situation I encounter while I'm out..........

Good luck, you're doing great with your patterns!

Canefly

Blessed are the flexible; they shall not be bent out of shape..........
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 18:28:23 (permalink)
    SJ - Over the past several years the number of anglers your age who I saw on the water carrying a fly rod has been steadily decreasing - at least on my home waters. It was a good thing when I saw your post and read about your enthusiasm. Keep it up buddy. Your about the age when I got into it and trust me - when you get to be my age you will have collected so many boxes of flies and materials that you cannot imagine now. For now though - enjoy your passion but above all don't get caught at school while on this site. And perhaps take your passion and do a school project with it - like a paper on the movement of the steelhead in Erie and the tactics of fishing for them. Just a suggestion - Like i said it's great to hear about your new found interest. Thanks for posting.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 19:27:46 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Steely about not surfing this site at school.  I had to discipline many students for violating our school's computer user policy prior to my retirement.  I would hate to punish someone who was on here, but I am positive it would be against your school's policy.  Wait till you get home, but do not lose your enthusiasm!!!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 20:36:52 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Steely about not surfing this site at school.

That's not what he said...

...he said dont get caught.
    SteelJunkie2
    New Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 20:42:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! I also have a friend who is 15 who also is really into flyfishing now! The other night my buddys dad sat down at my buddys fly tying station and he asked him "are you going to try and tie?" He answered no Im just loading up my box and took a whole bunch of my buddys flies he had tied! Haha Also steely I am on the school newspaper staff and I just got done writing a column about steelhead fishing. Their life cycle, gear to fish with, bait ect.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 20:57:07 (permalink)
    SteelJunkie2,

Check out FishUSA and get yourself some open compartment boxes.  The kind that are intended to carry dry flies.  They come in all shapes and sizes, compartments included.  Some are even adjustable.

Use these for all of your egg patterns.  You will be able to fit 10X the amount of eggs in a single box than you will in any box of comparable size(even the C&F Design boxes)with foam inserts.

I place tiny styrofoam balls over every hook point so they do not get tangled up with each other.  You can find them here or anywhere that sells egg sack tying materials.

I also use these types of boxes for buggers and larger flies.  Dry flies too.

The C&F boxes are great for nymphs.
    Another tip...if using a C&F Design box, buy 2 insert pages and SuperGlue them together, back to back.  You've just increased the box's capacity by 25%!

Ironhed
    CaneflyfishnGSPs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/03 22:38:28 (permalink)

SJ,
     Now that you've written a paper on steelies and the aquatic life cycles of the insects they feed on, maybe you'd be a prime candidate for your school's Envirothon Team as their Aquatics expert, as my 16 yr. old son is.  He's been fly fishing with me since he was 8 and the entomology books in our book case have helped tremendously!

Keep with your passion of fly fishing!  You will have this sport for your entire lifetime and will meet good people in these circles.  Respect the sport for what it is, a gentleman's sport.  Research the history and understand where it has progressed from to the present day.

Regards,
      Canefly

Blessed are the flexible; they shall not be bent out of shape..........
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/04 06:17:47 (permalink)
    Good for you SJ.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/04 19:38:41 (permalink)
    Canefly...... Well said.
    post edited by strandman220 - 2009/12/04 19:40:02
    mikevn1500
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/04 20:55:14 (permalink)
    When you are trying to decide if you want to spend your last 20 bucks on fly tying material or to take your Girlfriend out, and its a real hard decision to make.....You my son will be one of us!
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/06 09:31:48 (permalink)
    take her out that is at least worth 40 dollars in material for your b day lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 14:22:04 (permalink)
    spend no money on women...

get multiple girlfriends who all work, that way you can remain unemployed and fish all the time.  trust me on this.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 14:56:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

get multiple girlfriends who all work, that way you can remain unemployed and fish all the time.  trust me on this.

This is the truth.
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 15:13:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

I have to agree with Steely about not surfing this site at school.

That's not what he said...

...he said dont get caught.

drop out of school to fish professionally, problem solved...tRust m3

I snag steelhead on the reg.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 15:18:31 (permalink)
    Under no circumstances should you attempt to combine your love of fly fishing/tying with your love of the charms of the fairer gender, however. It will end in contention, strife, and in many cases, fire.

Do your best to convince the woman/women in your life that fishing is a completely miserable and unenjoyable activity that you are forced to do several times each week by forces beyond your control.

Find a woman who will accept this without question. Bonus points if her family owns good fishing water to which you gain access as a package deal.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 16:16:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

This is the truth.

it's rather simple... if you fish a specific location, you find a girlfriend that lives in that area, smooth your way in by doing laundry and playing the nice guy.  Now this may seem/sound rather nuts, but when she goes to work and you can creep out of her bed in your boxers and be in walking distance of some of the best native trout fishing pa has to offer... it's worth it

post edited by jimhalupka - 2009/12/07 16:18:11

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 16:39:46 (permalink)

Under no circumstances should you attempt to combine your love of fly fishing/tying with your love of the charms of the fairer gender, however. It will end in contention, strife, and in many cases, fire.

Do your best to convince the woman/women in your life that fishing is a completely miserable and unenjoyable activity that you are forced to do several times each week by forces beyond your control.

Find a woman who will accept this without question. Bonus points if her family owns good fishing water to which you gain access as a package deal.

U are not on Jimhalupka's level.  Not many are.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/07 22:38:45 (permalink)

I am thankful for that.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/08 09:55:02 (permalink)

I am thankful for that.

elaborate, please

-Art Lee
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/08 10:15:02 (permalink)
    elaborate, please

Just messin' w/ you, dUUd.

uR niSE gY
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/08 18:26:16 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone! Just thought I would mention steeljunkie 2 is really the original steeljunkie just on a different computer b/c the site won't let me login with this account on that computer for some reason! LOL
    SteelheadPA
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Major Dilemma! 2009/12/29 20:22:31 (permalink)
    Find a woman who will accept this without question.

Thats the B***H of it im in 10th grade at McDowell in millcreek there are so many girls in school that despise hunting and or fishing, its hard to find a good one in highschool, Where i grew up in warren up till 9th grade there was no problem everyone has the good old redneck joke around back woods attitude that i still am today, lol

Steeljunkie, maybe ill see ya on the stream sometime, not a lot of fly fishers our age

Tight Lines To All

"You Cant Fix Stupid"
    Jump to: