fly line setup

Author
jigpro17
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/24 13:08:56 (permalink)

fly line setup

hey everyone, i'm sure like many of you i love fishing the erie tribs. i've gone up the past two years with a spinning rod and had an absolute blast! i got a new cabelas brand fly rod last christmas and have got pretty good at casting in the yard. I understand what types of flies and drifts to use but don't quite know how fly line is set up past the main floating line. my reel is spooled with green floatiing line then followed by a short piece(4 inches)of fairly thick red line with a loop at the end. after this i'm clueless. i fished local trout by tying 5 or so feet of regular old 4 lb spinning line to this but realize that won't cut it with steelhead. I've heard that i need tippets and droppers but don't know ho to set those up either. If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it

23 Replies Related Threads

okuma
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 15:02:29 (permalink)
    if you're gonna fish steelies. use a 7 to 9 foot tapered knotless leader in a 4x or 3x size. i prefer 3x.  make a loop on the thick end of the leader & attach it to the short piece you mentioned loop to loop
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 19:30:12 (permalink)
    Pretty much what okuma said.
    For starts buy a leader at say 7 ft 2x. Then buy a spool of 3x tippet material. Tie 2 ft of the 3x tippet to your leader. If you tie your fly to the leader you bought, with in an hour your tippet will be .017... Best of luck. Glad you are flyfishing,,,,...
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 19:50:13 (permalink)
    You can use the same setup. You will be fine to just use 4lb test. I do.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 20:12:09 (permalink)
    steelhead are just large trout , no over thinking going on , to put it simple , do what u do to catch trout , if u break line go heavier
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 20:51:49 (permalink)
    Since you're new to fly fishing, i'd buy a couple 9' 3x, and a couple 9' 4x TAPERED leaders.  Since you're fairly new to this, you're going to mess up an entire leader from time to time, and having some extras will be a good idea. If you don't know how to tie a perfection loop or a mono loop, buy leaders with them pre-tied, but plan on learning to tie the loops on your own eventually.

Attaching the leader is easy when you have a loop on the end of your fly line like you already do. Simply put the loop on your fly line through the loop on your leader, then pull the rest of the leader throught the loop on the end of your fly line.

You're going to want to buy some 2x, 3x, and 4x tippet to repair the leaders after you break off or fray some of the leader from getting stuck or fighting fish. When I say "repair" I mean replacing the different diameters of the leader that broke off, or need replaced. So... if you break off the last couple of feet off your 3x leader, which will be the tippet section, tie on 2-3 feet of new 3x tippet. If you break off more of the leader, you'll need to taper it back down to the size of tippet you are using. Google "blood knot, or "surgeons knot" if you need to know how to tie tippet on.

Do not tie any tippet on to a new leader. For example, if you buy a 3x tapered leader, it already has a couple feet of 3x tippet on it. If you add more you'll end up with your leader in a mess every cast.

As far as droppers go.... fish one fly for the time being, at least until you get used to casting/fishing
    okuma
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/24 21:38:15 (permalink)
    i agree drake. one fly at a time until he gets used to the steelhead, heart thumping (**** big fish) game
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/25 17:06:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

Since you're new to fly fishing, i'd buy a couple 9' 3x, and a couple 9' 4x TAPERED leaders.  Since you're fairly new to this, you're going to mess up an entire leader from time to time, and having some extras will be a good idea. If you don't know how to tie a perfection loop or a mono loop, buy leaders with them pre-tied, but plan on learning to tie the loops on your own eventually.

Attaching the leader is easy when you have a loop on the end of your fly line like you already do. Simply put the loop on your fly line through the loop on your leader, then pull the rest of the leader throught the loop on the end of your fly line.

You're going to want to buy some 2x, 3x, and 4x tippet to repair the leaders after you break off or fray some of the leader from getting stuck or fighting fish. When I say "repair" I mean replacing the different diameters of the leader that broke off, or need replaced. So... if you break off the last couple of feet off your 3x leader, which will be the tippet section, tie on 2-3 feet of new 3x tippet. If you break off more of the leader, you'll need to taper it back down to the size of tippet you are using. Google "blood knot, or "surgeons knot" if you need to know how to tie tippet on.

Do not tie any tippet on to a new leader. For example, if you buy a 3x tapered leader, it already has a couple feet of 3x tippet on it. If you add more you'll end up with your leader in a mess every cast.

As far as droppers go.... fish one fly for the time being, at least until you get used to casting/fishing

You should be a fly fishing guide.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/25 17:33:49 (permalink)
    Wait.... no sucker joke?
    post edited by thedrake - 2009/11/26 19:53:57
    jigpro17
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/26 18:00:10 (permalink)
    very very helpful thanks guys
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/26 18:52:24 (permalink)
    what rollcaster and troutslammer said. picture yourself trying to to tie together 2 or 3 different (depending on where your lines broke) diameters of leader/tippet with freezing fingers now thru winter steelheading. knots are real tough with numb fingers. not to mention the cost of these leaders and tippets. i myself carry small spools of 4lb, 6lb and 8lb fluoro line and use according to stream conditions/clarity. adjust your drag accordingly. if u use fluoro, do not go cheap. cheap fluoros cannot stand up to really cold water conditions and will break or the knots will slip. i like the seaguar fluoros. never had a problem in the cold jan./feb waters. about 9 ft of the line tied at the loop. as this shortens due to breakage or fly replacement, at about half the 9ft i tie a small black barrel swivel and add a little more line. beats replacing the remainder of the original 9 ft. in the short time i was in elk last monday, managed 4 fish on with this set up. I also started to tie flies on using the rapala knot, the loop lets the fly move more naturally and might entice a bite when the cinch knot isn't working. there's some great sites on the net, just type in "fishing knots" and click around. these tutorials are great and u can sit in front of your screen with the lines and practice.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/26 21:22:14 (permalink)
    Jigpro,

Not to start an arguement on here, but.... While a several foot piece of mono or flouro will work somewhat, it's going to be hard to roll out on your cast, and will tangle more often. A tapered leader is not that expensive and if you buy a couple, you can replace the leader in no time on the stream, and take the damaged one home to repair for use another day.

Don't start out by cutting corners. I see it all the time.... guys who just picked up fly fishing 2 or 3 years ago that have caught only a couple fish, and are ready to give it up. Something I see often with these guys when I have them on the water is cutting corners. I can tell it right away as i'm clipping off the 4lb stren they have tied to their braided loop, so I can set up their leaders correctly. When I ask them why they haven't been using tapered leaders, I always hear 2 excuses.... The first being "I'm not good at tying all those knots", the second being "I don't want to spend all that time repairing them". To me, this translates into "I'm too lazy to take a few minutes to learn how to do it, and decided half-assing it would be a better idea". The first time they break off, I show them how to repair the leader. The next time, they do it themselves as I give them a few pointers...and within a few more times, their fixing their leader on thier own, and are fishing again only a minute or 2 after breaking off. I guess my point is, after they truly take the time to learn it, and practice it a few times, it's no big deal to tie on tippet or repair a leader on the stream. There's plenty of good beginners books out there, not to mention a lot of fly shops you could go to. Both are a valuable resources to learn how to do these kinds of things.

In fly fishing, what you get out of it is directly tied to what you put into it. If you cut corners and fail to learn it properly, you won't get much out of the sport besides tangles, and long days on the water with few fish.

Sorry for the rant. I see a lot of bad advice given on these boards, and sometimes can't keep my mouth shut. When I have clients on the water, a lot of my day is spent correcting the bad advice they were given in the past. When I see it on this board, it's often too hard to bite my tongue.
    post edited by thedrake - 2009/11/26 21:41:30
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/26 22:34:18 (permalink)
    You should listen to Drake. That is if you want to wast time when you are fishing for steel. I dont think you should rule out tapered leaders with all fly fishing just dont see the need for them fishing for steel. If you are getting tangled alot I dont think it is you leader. Every time I go to Erie I see the fly guys fishing a egg pattern and casting it like they have a dry fly on the end of their line(or I'm sure those guys are using tapered leaders). Dont over think it. I dont think he was given bad advice but then again I am no guide.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/26 23:03:59 (permalink)
    I take back the wasting time comment. I am sure there are many good steel fishermen that only use tapered leaders and nothing wrong with that. I just dont like someone saying I gave bad advise because he has a different view of it.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 00:36:21 (permalink)
    Jigpro.   I take a different slant to steelheading. I cut back my leader and tie in a small snap swivel then I snell a piece of 6 pound mono and make a "tippett" out of that about 4 feet long and snap it into the swivel.  When the "tippett" breaks I carry a roll of 6 wt mono in my pocket.  I usually use about 1 leader per year. The swivel  acts as a nice float and upper weight stop for my line. (keeps them from sliding down)

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 09:20:07 (permalink)
    jigpro17, as you see there are different ways to catch steel off a fly rod. most guys that fly fish year after year for fish, other than steelhead, will use taperer leader or make their own leader with line and diameters for fly fishing. sure we can use 4lb-12lb stren, berkley trilene and other spools of conventional fishing line. hey, it's cheaper and easier to replace it on the fly line or snap swivels than to piece a tippet on the a leader. it's all up to you as to what you want to accomplish in the learning process. if you want to fish for other species other than steelhead using dry flies, casting beyond a few yards with your nymphs of streamers and learn the technique of fly fishing you shouled listen to thedrake. if you just want to make it easy and less fuss just to say you caught a steel on a fly rod, you'll get more different set ups with many different fishing angles than i can put in words. many lines will do the job of catching a steelie.

it's nice to have a variety of different ways to rig up, there realy is no wrong answer as to 'how to catch steelhead' i'm sure all have caught fish with their set ups, be it with fly fishing lines and leaders or stren, trilene etc. it's your choice as how far you want to get into fly fishing and how much you want to learn

i think thedrake was guiding you in the direction of fly fishing in general and giving you expert info on tech. and why you might want to learn those technique's.

~just my 2 cents. i don't mean to hurt any buddies feelings.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/11/27 09:38:14

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 09:39:05 (permalink)
     amen!

oh, and take time to have a snort
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/11/27 09:40:04

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 10:16:35 (permalink)
    i keep it simple.  i use a heavy steelhead/salmon tapered leader, cut it down to about 4-5 foot, use a micro barrel swivel, then use whatever tippet the conditions call for.  usually 5x.  on erie tribs the swivel doesnt mess up casting any because very rarely are you making anything more than a chuck and duck roll cast.  big rivers in NY or OH might be a different story.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 10:27:27 (permalink)
    yinz r crazy... tapered leaders are a fad that went out with disco biscuits and WAM

20-15-10-5

here is loop to loop
    learn it... live it
    the door is open... walk through

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 13:02:36 (permalink)
    i quit nymphing in '08

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 14:57:18 (permalink)
    the swivel idea is genius.
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/27 21:36:22 (permalink)
    thedrake.. Good post. A level leader, swivels, ya got to be kidding me.

A well tied leader is the most important component from rod tip to fly. In any situation. From Bouncing a big egg pattern on the bottom for steel. To fishing say, a number 28 midge. Its all about the leader. I am constantly making agjustments and trying differant recipes. If the leader is not right on, you will not catch many fish.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/28 16:58:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

Wait.... no sucker joke?

Nope, that was so the old board.  Now if someone would come up with a new photo of you with a huge sucker, that would be a different story.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly line setup 2009/11/28 17:01:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

You should listen to Drake. That is if you want to wast time when you are fishing for steel. I dont think you should rule out tapered leaders with all fly fishing just dont see the need for them fishing for steel. If you are getting tangled alot I dont think it is you leader. Every time I go to Erie I see the fly guys fishing a egg pattern and casting it like they have a dry fly on the end of their line(or I'm sure those guys are using tapered leaders). Dont over think it. I dont think he was given bad advice but then again I am no guide.

There are ways to do things that get you by -- like using a hammer to install a screw and then there is the right way to do things.  Using a tapered leader to fly fish, whether that is dry fly fishing, nymph fishing, streamer fishing, or any other type of fly fishing is the right way to do it.
    post edited by DarDys - 2009/11/28 17:50:34

Jump to: