Seasons in the wind

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/16 13:52:37 (permalink)

Seasons in the wind

Exactly what this archery season was.  A season dominated by southeast winds.  If they'd stay consistently SE, I'd have places to hunt.   Partly, the whirling wind put me at a sighting of six total deer going into November.  About one hour per 10 hours of hunting.  Deer numbers were better this year than the previous years so no deer wasn't the answer.  Of those 6, I passed on a 14" inch 8 point..  one I don't regret.    Vacation started November 2.. I went all the way to November 12 seeing one deer.   The winds sucked for the first week of November, but others saw deer, even in places I put them in.  My low sightings were victim of circumstance, bad wind, bad decisions, putting others that didn't know their way into good spots and wondering off aimlessly in a different direction hoping to stumble upon a gold mine.  That just isn't going to happen in big woods.  A buddy shot a half rack with 4 on one side November 8th.   He was thrilled.  Any day SE winds dominated, I went for some walks looking for sign of biggens passing thru.

Some rubs.. from different areas.

Finally got to hunt some good spots on November 12.  NE wind with a little breeze but up on top of a point, it's alotta breeze.  Still whirling a little but, it's time to hunt the good spots, no matter the weather.  Called in 4 bucks that morning, one big half rack that decided I was a doe making those bleats 18 feet up.  Walked right up to me raking laurel bushes.  He'll be a nice one next year !   A 3 point came and made a bed 40 yards from me and slept for 3 hours (yeah on November 12).

That evening, buddy gave me directions to a spot I'd never been to, telling me he heard a grunt that way the other night that sent chills down his back.  He went into the bucks prime area, full of trees as big as 2 liter pop bottles torn to pieces.  I was off to the right about 400 yards.. not a person had hunted the immediate area all year.  I knew it as soon as I walked up and crossed that hollow testing the wind and looking at those rubs.. that tonight was gonna be the night ...  even with never hunting there before.. my bowhunter 6th sense soared.    I was settled in by 2:30..   Most November days, I'd call all day.   But because it was a bit warmer than I had liked and I wasn't dealing with no young buck, I decided to wait until the sun went over the mountain.  Once it dipped over, I tipped the can three times, gave a few young buck tending grunts... stopped for two minutes.... nothing..  Reached up and snapped a branch above my head and got out the deep grunt.  I gave one 10 second long (I'm ****ed off cause yer with my girl) grunt.  It wasn't 30 seconds, I hear the leaves crunching, almost potato chip sounding moving my way.  He had read the script .. holy **** !!   .... don't count the points Jonny !!    Not a nerve wrecked in my body but I don't recall ever having my heart pound like that.   I remember thinking that I was worried this buck would hear it as it thumped against my chest.  It actually began to hurt.   The buck walks the the opposite side of the hollow following the steepest part toward the creek.  Once at 40 yards, I drew, and looked for openings in front of him.  There was one at about 30 yards, I guessed it to be 32,  about 2 feet high, and a foot wide, with a branch going diagonial thru the opening.   I held the pin on the branch... if he went up higher on the hollow, I'd take the upper opening, down near the creek, I'd shoot thru the other.  As big ones always do, he went straight thru the middle.  The branch was only a half inch maybe, but I knew what was gonna happen if I released that arrow.  I let down.  He walked behind the thickest of vines within 25 yards, made a scrape, and started walking away.   I hit the grunt again... he turned and took 4 steps toward me.  As this point, it's about 4:55 when I could see only the antlers and the white around his eyes.    Older deer seem to have learned that staying still is how to survive.  He did not move a muscle for 25 minutes.. I never heard him walk away.  Don't know what happened to him. A bit nervous getting out of that tree !!    Never heard him leave.  I can replay it all I want, if my stand was a foot higher or lower, or ... if, ands, or buts.    But I've got no regrets as I didn't a thing wrong, just take the humbling experience with you and enjoy it forever.  That was my most intense moment of 2009.. for anything, not just hunting.  When you get a deer within short distances, you have entered their world and that is why we bowhunt..

The winds stayed NE for the rest of the week.  The following days were full of scrubbers chasing.  Lots of opportunity at doe and young bucks.  Two buddies had a stud come between them running a doe hard November 14.   Just as last year, we never saw any biggens running doe until November 14.

Because of the rains, and the winds, I probably spent half the time in the stand as I usually do.  Deer sightings, probably about half.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

15 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/16 14:36:54 (permalink)
    There was a lot of weird winds this year.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/16 19:35:20 (permalink)
    Great story !

The winds have been anything but predictable this year. I've had experiences like that before too. The way I look at it is you were successful. You may not have harvested him but you beat him at the game and obviously from your story, some very good memories.......
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/16 20:14:03 (permalink)
    Sounds like a culmination to a good season even without meat on the pole...

I used a couple of those scent sticks that you burn like incense sticks.
    Had a couple deer come in but also had a doe spook when she saw the smoke in the sun.
    I watched the smoke from the sticks and couldn't believe how many times the wind changed direction..
    Hard to beat their nose when the wind blows in 3 different directions....

One of the smaller 8 points that made it through season now lies out in the ditch in front of my house.
    A jeep hit him at 5am this morning..The horns were already kicked off and taken when I left for work at 7am.
    The jeep still blocks my upper driveway...

Your buck on the last day got lucky you were a good hunter. Some would have tried to make the shot work and we know how that usually pans out...
    I screwed up on mine..
    It was so warm I didn't have my outer layer on and had it hanging in the tree.
    At 4pm I stood up to put my coat on and slide my seat back and he was standing at 50 yrds..
    Not sure how he got in that close but he did.. He busted me, two hops and gone,,,My own stupidity...

Hey only 3 weeks and we can start scouting for next year..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 07:47:36 (permalink)
    I did forget to mention I got lost the last evening.  Even got out of the tree at 4:45 to use a half hour of light to get out of there.   On top of tussy mountain on a big flat full of big rocks and pines.   Somehow I got turned around.   It was very smart of me that on the way in I created a track log on my gps (something I haven't used in years but figured I should for where I went) .. turned it on and followed the reverse track.   It's hard when your mind tells you one thing and technology says another.   Ended up a pretty panicy night.  I sat down for a little bit.. the sun set on one side of me and state college lights glared on the other.   I wasn't sure which was which through the thick pines.  For those of you who have a gps and never have had to rely on it, I suggest you give it a go and learn to trust it..

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 07:57:56 (permalink)
    Here's my buddies half rack. 

Check this duud out !  Yep, that's a 1.5 year old buck.  Randy decided he didn't want him breeding any doe.

I suggested he get a euro mount.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 08:17:49 (permalink)
    Jon,

You are good guy for passing on that shot.  A lot of people wouldn't, probably with not so great results.  You are to be commended.

It sounds like you had a good time.

Good advice on the GPS.  I have a compass on my dog whistle lanyard (it came on there, i didn't add it) and somebody was busting on me about it the other day.  But I actually used it once when i got turned around hunting a chopped out area that all of a sudden all looked the same.  Although i have no idea how to use a compass (never did the Boy Scout thing), I make it a habit to check the rearview mirror when I park the vehicle for the direction it is pointing.  The habit paid off this time because I was able to use the compass to locate that direction and make my way close enough to the truck to find stuff that looked familiar.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 10:54:57 (permalink)
    Good report on your season Jon.

I know what you mean about changing winds. This year is the worst I can remember. The rains every Saturday in October didn't help either.

None of my close friends that bowhunt were successful this year. They all blame it on the rain and wind. I had this conversation with a good friend the other day over a few beers while he told me ge didn't kill anything because the wind was never right, and the rain kept him out of the stand....then, I find out from another friend that he missed TWICE! I can't wait to have this conversation with him again this weekend when we're having our after archery season get together.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 11:32:54 (permalink)
    If you don't go IN the woods you can't kill a deer!!  When I hunted in Ohio last week it was in the 70's and 60's(temps). The wind changed direction almost every hour. Did I like the weather? Hell no. We all know its easy to make excuses, HUNT OR stay home! I never give up and it has paid off, both in hunting and life. Now to shoot a turkey this week(3B).  Good luck hunters!!!
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 12:39:34 (permalink)
    well congrats to you noplacelikehome lol
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 14:40:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

If you don't go IN the woods you can't kill a deer!!  When I hunted in Ohio last week it was in the 70's and 60's(temps). The wind changed direction almost every hour. Did I like the weather? Hell no. We all know its easy to make excuses, HUNT OR stay home! I never give up and it has paid off, both in hunting and life. Now to shoot a turkey this week(3B).  Good luck hunters!!!

So you suggest I should just go hunt the wrong wind then?

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 14:41:20 (permalink)
    bullshiiter.. I forgot to congratulate you on yer nice buck.  I've been away from a PC for a few weeks.  He's a nice one.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 16:57:23 (permalink)
    SK, are we hunting wind or deer? I always hunt deer. I would rather sit in my stand and see nothing, than sit at home on my day off and WISH I were in my stand. I don't make excuses. You know if you hunt a game lands(like I did this year) I worried more about other hunters(grouse,etc..) than the wind. Besides you can't control the weather.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/17 22:55:47 (permalink)
    arghm i suppose you are referring to me? lol but thanks..
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/18 07:57:58 (permalink)
    Lotta ways and lotta detail to answer that question, noplace.   Truthfully, I don't have much interest in doing so.   If you decide to not worry about the wind, then so be it.  I got places to hunt every wind direction, but that SE stuff swirls and I'm not talkin' about changing every hour.. more like every second.  That's just how it is where I hunt.. based on my own experiences and the people that have hunted the area for 50+ years.   I don't worry much about other hunters cause I skip the places that get pressure, which saddens me at times I guess.  Throughout the year, as I pattern deer patterning hunters is just as important.  It's a shame seeing a dandy, then watching people get in the area with their dogs to set up trail cams, sitting in the vehicle nightly hoping to catch a glimpse at the biggen... walkin' circles around the area... but hey that's public land.  Find another place to hunt or deal with it.   I don't recall ever saying anything about staying home instead of hunting.  But sometimes, me going for a ride or a walk can be more productive than trying to hunt a swirling wind.  There's never enough learned.

yeah bull, congrats. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2009/11/18 07:58:39

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Seasons in the wind 2009/11/18 08:59:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

SK, are we hunting wind or deer? I always hunt deer. I would rather sit in my stand and see nothing, than sit at home on my day off and WISH I were in my stand. I don't make excuses. You know if you hunt a game lands(like I did this year) I worried more about other hunters(grouse,etc..) than the wind. Besides you can't control the weather.

Noplace,

I have to agree with Silver on this one and that is a rarity on the subject of deer. LOL.

I have long contended that, for me at least, I hunt to kill things and I fish to catch things. Yes, I enjoy the outdoors for the outdoors, but I am too goal and results oriented to waste, yes, waste time hunting or fishing under conditions that are not conducive to me being successful. If I just want to commune with nature, I can do that without the added expense of guns, rods, reels, dogs, and all the thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of gear. 

What do I consider successful?  In most fishing, it is catching at least one of the targeted species per hour (of course with certain species, such as Tarpon, that changes to one per day).  In bird hunting, that is a limit per outing for each hunter working behind my pointers.  For deer, it is a deer per outing.  Anything less, in my mind, is a failure.

Am I always successful?  Of course not.  But I pick and choose carefully the days that I do what to ensure that what I am spending my time on has the greatest odds of a favorable outcome.

I guess this stems from my tournament fishng days when I had paid to fish at a certain event at a certain time and there was no choice if the conditions were bad -- pouring rain, snow, galeforce winds, hail, etc. -- I had to fish.  Now, that's not the case.

And yes, until May, I worked 50 -60 hours per week with an hour commute on each end of the trip, so I didn't have unlimited time.  I think that even drove me to be more selective in when to do what.  During the last 6 months, being laidoff, I have hunted/fished more that I did in the previous 6 year combined.  But it hasn't been an everyday thing.  It hasn't been even an every week thing.  But I have had more of an opportunity to pick the right days to ensure a favorable outcome.

Sometimes, not going during marginal to bad conditions allowed me the time to think about what, where, when, and how to be successful during my next trip.

I disagrre with the statement that "A bad day fishing/hunting is better than a good day at work."  Why?  Because if it was going to be a bad day fishing/hunting due to conditions, I would rather be at work and save that precious vacation day for when conditions dictated that if I did my part, the result would not be a bad day fishing/hunting, but rather a good day.

Are there marginal to bad condition days that could have turned out good?  Sure.  But more often than not, like cooking, if you start with lousy products, you get lousy results.

I know that my approach to fishing/hunting is not everyone's cup of tea.  Heck, I had a board member write on here a few years ago that he would never want to go with me because my trips sounded more like a military operation (I never was in the armed forces) than a fishing/hunting trip.  But, you know, 99% of the time, when asked about how my trip was, the answer is "It was great, I caught/bagged .... (fill in the blank)."  Not, the water was terrible, the wind was howling, the fish weren't biting, I didn see any deer, the dogs never had a point, etc.  Eore is not my hero.

And, if the games are played right, marginal or bad conditions for one thing are ideal for another.  I would be willing to bet that some of those days when the wind was playing hell with the deer hunting and the percentage for success was near zero, the condtions were ripe for a great fishing trip or a scouting trip or getting something done at work or home that would allow a time in the future when conditons are better suited to be had.

Silver,

On a side note, the hounds were fussing in the kennel since 4 AM.  When I let them out this moring at 7, I looked across the road and could see a deer in the goldenrod field near the far tree line.  The distance is about 650, but it was easy to tell by the square body shape and size that it was more than likely a buck.

I went into the house and got my crappy 8X binos and sure enough I could make out some good sized head gear, even at that distance.  He worked his way, nose to the ground, across the field and then started up the property line to an area that borders a thicket that contains a pond.

He looked up at the dogs a couple of times, but didn't really pay them any mind at all.  Typically, he would have spotted them and made some evasive move.  But he was far too interested in the doe he was trailing.

At about 175 yards, he stopped and gave me a good look at his rack.  The antlers were fairly white.  They were a little wider than the ears by about 2 - 3 inches on each side and the main beams were 4 - 5 inches taller that the ear before they started to curve.  The G2's were about 6 -8 inches long. 

And it was a four point.

There were no brush hooks on either side.  The mass was very good as well.  The deer was no youngster either.  I would say it was somewhere between a 2.5 and a 4.5 from the size, shape, and color.

I had seen another buck like this in the same area while training the dogs 6 or so years ago.  It jumped out of the goldenrod and blazed past me at about 10 yards, then turned and stopped at 25.  Same thing, decent sized rack, older deer, but only four points.

It obviously isn't the same deer, but probably related.  hopefully it wonders off the posted property that it likes to frequent long enough for a junior hunter to remove it from the gene pool.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: