switch it up

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Oilcreektrouter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
RE: switch it up 2009/11/21 12:41:08 (permalink)
This bashing of the switch rod is probably one of the most ridiculous things that I've heard in a while. The versatility of these rods is incredible. The objective of 2 handed rods is so you don't tire as quickly. You do not have to load them with spey/skagit/scandi lines unless you're going to spey all day. A grain window is assigned to each rod weight and you can line it with a weight forward line and effectively roll cast (SPEY) with the set up. as well as overhand (no need when steelheading).

The fact of the matter is that yes, you can use them on most any creek (except little native streams) with great success. I've had a switch rod made by Robert Meiser (The originator of the switch, almost 20 years ago) for a while now and I have to say that it has served me flawlessly. From steelhead in Erie, on the Catt, etc. Bass fishing on the Allegheny river, even swinging streamers for trout. Bob is an artist with graphite and cork. He produces some of the most beautiful, utilitarian rods I've seen. Hating on these rods is probably because it's a complete lack of understanding on the intended purposes. And yes, they are easier on the caster than a single, 7 or 8. I can launch 100' casts with a single and double overhead, but still work in close, 70-80' with a spey cast and still swing streamers at 30'. Oh yeah, if the streamers aren't working, you can switch (there's that word again) to nymphing with ease. Yes, the length does protect tippets better and yes, you will nymph with it. Who cares? The underhand is nice to have and really cuts down on the time fighting the fish (which, holy crap, helps get them back in the water more efficiently!!) because of the added leverage. Buy one, load it with a 9 weight line (if you're gonna get a 7wt.) and rock it out. I would recommend getting a skagit line if you want to primarily spey cast (even smaller belly, which coincidently would allow you to swing streamers anywhere. Oh my gosh!!!). Although, scandi heads probably work the best, they aren't necessary unless you plan on moving to bigger rivers.

Buy cheap at first, and if you like what you use, then go for a better rod. These rods are designed with a slow action and allows for a better connection (even an 11'er) to the fly. Don't worry about people hating on these rods, hook one up and pack a bunch of fly boxes, you'll need a large variety to utilize all aspects of these wonderful fishing units. By the way, Sage/Winston/ Most big name switches suck. Stick with making your own from Batson or get a Deer Creek (Bob and spey Jedi Mike Kinney helped with the design), Beulah's got some tight ones, or go straight to the source. Everyone else is just chasing ghosts. It is, in fact, a fad that all the big names jumped on, but if you truly understand these units, it's not a fad for you, but a way of angling continuously. Open fire boys.

PS. A good switch eats any sink tip you put on it.........Solves the problem of only fishing unweighted flies. I smacked a ton of steelhead last year using a sinking tip and a Balmoral (a 3in. Dee fly).
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: switch it up 2009/11/21 17:32:24 (permalink)
i disagree
if i am overhead casting and stripping... no question.. single hander
if i am swinging... single or 2hander, depends on the water
dries... single
i've gotten away from nymphing

"line it with a weight forward line and effectively roll cast (SPEY)"...... no

you mention having 2 different line setup for a switch... why not have 2 different rod setups that are specialized for the applications
rather than having one rod that was designed for neither

few questions...
you really think a switch is easier to overhead cast than a single??
what line would you use for a switch? one that is allowing only 30' swings and proper rod loading?
the only thing that you mentioned that i agree with is the extra leverage to play a fish

what can a switch setup do that a single hand rod can't??

switch rods are like sporks... yeah they can work
but if you use the right utensil (in this case rod type)... you'll get better results

it just cracks me up seeing these rods use as long nymphing sticks because some on is too lazy to mend...

flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
RE: switch it up 2009/11/21 20:43:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

what can a switch setup do that a single hand rod can't??

Cast to Canada.
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: switch it up 2009/11/21 21:07:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

it just cracks me up seeing these rods use as long nymphing sticks because some on is too lazy to mend...

That is an awsome line by the way, which I totally agree with. I guess it is just easier to stand like the statue of liberty all day rather than throwing a mend or two. 

There is no reason to have a double handed rod or a switch rod for PA steelhead fishing. I swung the Catt with a switch at flows around 300. Perfect for them flows IMO. I swung the Grand in OH with my switch in flows reaching 12 to 1300 cfs. Did it work? Yes. Is it the ideal tool for that job? No. Thats the reason I went out and got a bigger stick. The switch works fine for normal flows of these two rivers but I would say get a 12'6" or 13' for higher flows.

If you want to swing in PA go ahead. You dont have to get no fly rod with a lower grip. Just use your reg old fly pole and swing away. A buddy of mine likes that musky/pike line and use small pieces of t14 to get down.  Or you could just go out and spend the money on rod reel line you really dont nead, its up to you.

I read before that there are no bad two handed rods out there. Just a whole bunch of bad line combos.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: