Bamboo

Author
The City Fisher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/28 20:35:37 (permalink)

Bamboo

I've always heard people talk about the greatness of bamboo fly rods. I'm not really interested in getting one or anything, i'm just curious if anyone could explain why they are so much better than a normal graphite rod (Looking at the price of some, I can only imagine they must be God-given or something).

19 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/28 21:13:33 (permalink)
    Personally, I wouldn't say that they are "better" than graphite although they are a pleasure to fish with. I have an Orvis Midge built in '69 that I use quite often when fishin for trout. The action is mch slower than the graphite's that I own as is customary for many boo rods. The thing I enjoy most about this rod is that when you hook up, you can feel every quiver of the fish in your rod hand. It truly is an amazing thing. As far as price of 'em, you gotta understand the process that goes into creating them.  These builders are true craftsmen.
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/10/28 21:15:52

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/28 21:25:28 (permalink)
    ya, I mean I understand that they could almost be considered a piece of art, and I would love to have one I just could never see myself spending that much money, but thats just me. i know my grandfather has an old one he never even fishes with, but keeps it just as an antique. Whenever I ask him why he doesnt use it he tells me its so old he'd be to scared of it being damaged.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/28 21:31:15 (permalink)
    City Fisher,
        If your grandfathers' bamboo rod is in decent condition (fishable) there is no reason that it couldn't be used for appropriate fish.  the important thing to remember is that bamboo is/was a living thing and it will get brittle with age.  But if you just step down one line size it should be perfectly usable, and with proper restoration it can be made as good as, or better than new; depending on who made the rod.  Some of the old bamboo rods were crap when they were made, and some were wonders of engineering.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/28 21:41:43 (permalink)
    Ya your probably right, i'll have to ask him about it, if it was usable it be pretty cool to try out I guess, even for bluegill or somethin.
    town bada$$
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/29 00:06:13 (permalink)
    Ugly stix go hard, in my opinion any other rod is just plain stupid to own

Being bad**** is just like a day on the stream to me
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/29 19:07:12 (permalink)
    I don't know of anyone saying bamboo is better than graphite. It's not a better/worse issue, so much as it's personal preference.

I fish bamboo from time to time, and am slooowwwwly building one of my own with a close friend who's a well known cane rod builder in the area. The price of a cane rod comes from the work involved in it. I would say 50 hours+ goes into each handmade cane rod. With those kind of hours involved I assume one can see where the cost comes from.

Cane rods have a much slower action than graphite. I myself don't prefer a fast rod for trout, and enjoy the action of slower rods. If you are one to buy into all the recent marketing in fly fishing magazines about graphite rods, you'd be lead to believe faster is better, and the latest fast action 5wt from any company that can punch a wooly bugger 90ft in a 30mph wind must be the best. Anyone who has fly fished long enough knows that what is important is not how far a rod casts, but how well it fishes. Good cane rods simply fish well. They protect light tippet, land dries softly, and turn over long leaders with little effort... Those things are important qualities on our wild trout water in PA. Shooting 90ft of line is not. We are taught through modern marketing that the newest, latest rods, made with the latest materials must be better than any older rod, because of technology. That is simply false. 

I suppose it doesn't matter what material or when it was built; a good rod is a good rod. Period.

The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 00:24:00 (permalink)
    ya i guess thats all true
    Ugly stix go hard, in my opinion any other rod is just plain stupid to own

Hey im not sayin that ugly sticks are bad, i love using them baitfishin but if you think that any other rod is stupid to own, you have obviously never used any St. Croix rods before.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 10:00:54 (permalink)
    as for me i like the feel of fiberglass.
    many do not know but Jack presented me with a restored beautiful multi pce. fiberglass rod to take with me when i cycle ride and fish. he presented this to me the day b4 the one fly. i greatly appreciate it!!
    (and yes i was caught by surprise and almost made my eyes water)
    plan on using it this weekend for trout!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 11:11:37 (permalink)
    I like to tell people that bamboo requires a different approach to fishing than more modern materials.  With bamboo it's about slowing down and appreciating the prusuit of the fish and the skill required to land the fish and the feel of the fish on the line, rather than the hook em and yank em approach to modern fishing.  For over 100 years bamboo (when properly constructed) was THE element for fishing.  But bamboo breaks; far easier than other materials.  Plus a well made bamboo rod is VERY labor intensive and therefore costly.  A poorly made machine run rod may lack many of the good characteristics of a hand made or even a hand finished rod.
         Anyway, in a quest for a stronger, cheaper rod material, makers tried: spring steel, steel tubing, fiberglass, boron fiber, and now graphite.  With each you gain something over bamboo;  strength, and ease of manufacture, and cheapness, and you lose the touch and feel of bamboo.   And no matter what the ads may tell you it isn't significantly  more expensive to make a costly graphite rod than it is a cheap graphite rod.  It's easier and less costly, and stronger. 
         We have developed the "land em at any cost" mentality in fishing, and I'll admit I'm subject to that train of thought too.  But bamboo takes a person back to a different skill level and mind set over modern fishing.  I remember when monofilament line was the thing for fishing; so much better than old woven or braided line, now we have fluro, and new combo braided lines.  It's all about evolution of the sport.  But it's fun to step back and try it the "old way" once in a while.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 11:56:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

I like to tell people that bamboo requires a different approach to fishing than more modern materials.  With bamboo it's about slowing down and appreciating the prusuit of the fish and the skill required to land the fish and the feel of the fish on the line, rather than the hook em and yank em approach to modern fishing.  

How true.
    Well put, Jack.

I think many get put off on boo because their first experience with it is grandad's old creaky cane rod.
    There are some good old rods out there that feel and cast beautifully and there are some rods that feel like clubs.  

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 12:02:36 (permalink)
    Dano,
         Yes There Are!  But whats funny to me is; even though I build bamboo and repair and restore them I'm still super cautious when I take mine out.   Oil City is calling!!

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 12:18:01 (permalink)
    as for me i like the feel of fiberglass

+1

I wasn't sure at first, but then I tried a few (including one of DT's), and loved them. So this summer I went out and got my own and it has since become my go-to rod for streams in this area.

I'd liken my 5wt graphite "stick" to a hammer, nothing pretty, but it gets the job done in a no-frills kind of way.
    My 3wt graphite to a scalpel, very delicate and accurate.
    And my 4wt glass to a paintbrush, not necessarily excelling at any one thing, but a real joy to work with.
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 12:36:18 (permalink)
    this thread just reminded me to pack my baby boo for tomorrow's excursion to the mtns.  i'm **** when it comes to fancy casting, so a boo is the furthest thing from what i should use.  but what was previously stated, you can feel every inch of the fish when fighting one.  i got a relatively cheap one on ebay last winter $120 range, so not all of them are super expensive.  i've had fun with it.  

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 12:40:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

as for me i like the feel of fiberglass

+1

I wasn't sure at first, but then I tried a few (including one of DT's), and loved them. So this summer I went out and got my own and it has since become my go-to rod for streams in this area.

I'd liken my 5wt graphite "stick" to a hammer, nothing pretty, but it gets the job done in a no-frills kind of way.
    My 3wt graphite to a scalpel, very delicate and accurate.
    And my 4wt glass to a paintbrush, not necessarily excelling at any one thing, but a real joy to work with.

nicely put

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 16:11:27 (permalink)
    Jack you put it very well & yes I fish my bamboo all summers when the tricos are on & midges all year hope to fish some BWO'S before winter with it
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bamboo 2009/10/30 18:41:35 (permalink)
    Dave, you really need to publish some pix with a nice brookie.

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Bamboo 2009/11/02 15:11:57 (permalink)
    I have a bamboo rod for steelhead which I have used in Cleveland and Erie....it's an 8-1/2 foot 7 weight....the action is parabolic, meaning it bends pretty far down...Bamboo is not better than graphite as it is much heavier.....What it is, is nostalgic....my 7 weight weighs around 5-1/2 ounces and the reel is around 9 ounces or so....you do a days worth of fishing casting nearly a pound and you're worn out
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Bamboo 2009/11/02 23:35:21 (permalink)
    Charist,
    You are weak and a sissy. Lighten up on the reel, girly girl. You'll notice the difference.
    Or quit whining and start lifting weights.

CaneflyfishnGSPs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Bamboo 2009/11/26 00:17:37 (permalink)
    I have repaired and restored about 200 cane rods over the past 17 years,  for myself, my 3 sons and many customers.  They do not break easier than other rods, do not become brittle over the years, but as stated previously, are more sensitive to vibrations created either from nymphs dragging bottom or a fish inhaling a nymph.  Most of my cane rods are in the 80-110 year old class and going strong!  We fish cane only 24/7.  It's all we own as I've been fortunate enough to acquire most of them inexpensively and repair/restore them to put them back into good everyday service........

Cane rods become brittle from neglect, by chipping the varnish or not air drying the rod after a day's fishing, thereby allowing moisture to penetrate the glue lines and dry-rot the rod from the inside out.  I've turned people away after inspecting the rod they wanted restored to fishable condition after determining there is evidence of mildew and dry rot under the varnish.  Attics and car trunks in hot weather are also brutal on the glue lines of older rods that were assembled with horse hide or other animal hide glues.  If the delaminations aren't detected, the rod "breaks" when the owner first starts fishing, then inaccurately assumes the rod became "brittle" and is rendered useless.......

With proper care, my rods should last another 80+ yrs. in my possession or the grandkids'..........  It is nostalgic to fish with rods that were new nearly a century ago, but if they weren't good tools, the fun would dissipate quickly.  When you buy a "club", which is usually a mass-produced rod such as some Montagues or South Bend rods, they will wear your arm out by day's end!  .  Yes, they (cane) are heavier than graphite, but with a reel with sufficient weight to counterbalance it, your wrist becomes the fulcrum and casting becomes a pleasure with the better quality rods.    I never recommend switching from cane to graphite and back again until you've really developed an acute sense for how the cane is supposed to cast/feel.....  I've even stopped and offered assistance to 'boo newbies who appeared to be having trouble with their newly acquired "wand"!

The cane rod builders deserve every penny they get to craft such fine instruments, so my hat goes off to them!  I built 1 rod and have first hand appreciation of what they do.........

Canefly

Blessed are the flexible; they shall not be bent out of shape..........
    Jump to: