Noodle rod fly fishing

Author
killdeer19
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/01 10:47:23 (permalink)

Noodle rod fly fishing

Buddy of mine at work asked about putting a fly reel on a noodle rod. He was wondering if it would work and what would be the pros/cons? He has a Cortland Noodle Rod, and would like to try fly fishing with out buying a whole new set up. What are your thoughts?

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

12 Replies Related Threads

DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 10:51:27 (permalink)
    thats just not going to work...

go buy a cheap flyrod.. there are reasons the reel is seated where it is and the guides are designed like they are..

post edited by DaFuNK - 2009/10/01 11:25:26
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 10:53:38 (permalink)
    It may work, but generally noodle rods are pretty slow action so he may have some trouble casting the line any distance.  It should be fine for the tribs fishing.  Also, I would not know what wt. line he would need.  I would tend to think a 6 to 8 wt line should be OK.

If he wants to fly fish for steelies an inexpensive fly rod most likely would be a better way to do.  You don't neend anything special.  A good 6/7 wt should do just fine.

pax vobiscum +
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 11:15:44 (permalink)
    Dafunk-You gave a similar response to my spin reel on fly rod question. People ask questions for a reason, its because they don't know something. No need to call them silly or rediculous for asking a genuine question.
    DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 11:19:10 (permalink)
    i tried to mix n match rods and reels when i was younger and when rods broke and I didnt have spare. It usually always resulted in big problems and things not going smoothly...

I'm not calling "anyone" silly and judge no one.

I'm calling "it" silly (Ie. attaching a fly reel to a spin-rod) because it simply does not work.

Sometimes things are expensive, but if you look hard enough you can find a cheep rod at walmart or local big-lots, kmart etc. that will be a proper fit for the reel..

post edited by DaFuNK - 2009/10/01 11:21:00
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 11:21:03 (permalink)
    killdeer, awhile back, i asked about using flies with a noodle rod.  i received a ton of replies and some articles.  no fly line or reel involved, just a conventional spinning reel, but you can present flies using both a float or shot.  looking forward to trying it.

i believe bug and indy both use ugly stick fly rods at times.  it is a cheaper way to get started.  

stlhtr50
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:10:07 (permalink)
    I've used a noodle rod/spinning rod combo with flies for 10+ years now works great! You can buy a cheeper noodle rod for half of what an ugly stick costs too!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:12:57 (permalink)
    Kildeer,
         The cheapest, and best, solution to your friends' problem is wo waddle down to Wal-mart and pick up a Shakespeare fly combo.  29.95 I think!  It has everything needed.  And while it is about a responsive as a 2 x 4 it will work.  Reel sucks, but it WILL WORK.   Now having said that I have a friend who bought one of those about 7 years ago and it is still his preferred fly rod for steel, and bass.  He's tried many other different (and expensive) rigs and he still prefers the Shakespeare.   Tell your friend to try that route and If he likes fly fishing he can then step up to a S-A kit, or a Cortland, or a St. Croix.  He might call fishusa and see if they have any specials.
          Bring him to the "One Fly" and I'll let him try out any of my rigs he wants (excepting the bamboo)

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    RemNS
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:15:36 (permalink)
    I actually believe that a person is better off learning how to control the line and a fly using a noodle rod before committing to a fly rod.
    The control and mending is more demanding when fishing this way and it teaches a person how to read the flow and depth better than going straight to a fly rod.
    I used a noodle rod for 5 years before I jumped into a fly rod.
    Fished with flies on the noodle rod the entire time.
    I actually fought with my friends because they wanted me to switch to a fly rod from day 1 but the bottom line is I fished the same flies as they did and caught just a many as they did but did not have to run back to the truck and grab the noodle rod when I wanted to spin or there was no drift.
    A noodle rod is cheaper and a great learning tool that is versatile for all types of fishing.
    I started out using a spinning reel on a fly rod then switched to a spin reel on a noodle rod then switched to a better reel and rod then went to a fly rod (thanks to the 1 fly) and then took the plunge and spent the bucks for a good fly rod and reel set up).
    I still switch back to the Spinning reel and fly rod setup every now and then just for a change.
    post edited by RemNS - 2009/10/01 12:21:10

At Once my wife was skinny and my wallet was fat, but now my wife is *** and my wallet is skinny. But at least she still lets me go fishin!
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:36:22 (permalink)
    Indy, That was the response I gave him right off the bat and told him that I'd ask on here anyway. I also guarenteed that I would get at least one person saying to get one of those cheap fly combos and walmart.
    The main reason I doubted myself was that you always see those fly/spin travel combos that use teh same rod but with 2 different reels. The guides/ action of the rod remains the same and in some cases even the reel seat is the same thing.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:43:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Kildeer,
        The cheapest, and best, solution to your friends' problem is wo waddle down to Wal-mart and pick up a Shakespeare fly combo.  29.95 I think!  It has everything needed.  And while it is about a responsive as a 2 x 4 it will work.  Reel sucks, but it WILL WORK.   Now having said that I have a friend who bought one of those about 7 years ago and it is still his preferred fly rod for steel, and bass.  He's tried many other different (and expensive) rigs and he still prefers the Shakespeare.   Tell your friend to try that route and If he likes fly fishing he can then step up to a S-A kit, or a Cortland, or a St. Croix.  He might call fishusa and see if they have any specials.
         Bring him to the "One Fly" and I'll let him try out any of my rigs he wants (excepting the bamboo)

$19.99 9' 8wt Scientific Anglers at Walmart or BPS
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Noodle rod fly fishing 2009/10/01 12:48:10 (permalink)
    This question of fly vs spinning comes up each year and there is usually some confusion as to what works where, when, how, etc...  The key to catching steelies with ANY gear is correct presentation of the fly or bait.  What you want is a natural drift, not having the fly dragging along.  This can be achieved with either a fly rod or a noodle rod.  You must try to keep the leader as vertical as possible. 

The advantage of a spinning rod for most people is it is more familar to them and they can control it better.  Also, the line is a thinner diameter and there is less drag in the water.  The typical set up for a spinning rod would be the fly at the end of the line or leader, a few small split shot up the leader/line  (The amount of weight will vary depending on the flow and depth) and a float.  The trick here is to use a small, long float that will not drag the fly or bait around.  Also, if you are using weights, put the smallest split shot near the fly and increase the size as you go up the leader/line.  The largest weight should be just under the float.  

For a fly set up, you should have a leader/tippet combo about the same length as your rod, about 9 to 10 feet.  Attach the fly to the tippet and add a little weight as necessary.   When drifting the hole or the riffle, try to keep the fly line off the water if possilbe and the leader as vertical as possible.  Also, keep the leader out in front of the fly line and rod tip.  Do not let the fly line drag the leader and fly around.  Move the rod with the line and med as needed.  For someone who already fly fishes, this is easy to do with a little practice.  One thing to remember is that fish often will hit the fly as it rises at the end of the drift.  Be prepared for a bit just as you are taking the line up for your cast.

Where you want the fly to be is near the bottom.  You should be able to feel the fly hitting rocks and when a fish mouths it.  If you feel any resistance as the fly is drifting, pick up gently and feel for the fish.  A fish that has the fly in its mouth will react.  If you feel something set the hook.  There is no need to whale on it, just pull up and wait for the headshake....  The fiight will be on...

Good luck when you come up. 

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: