My First Attempt at the "Spey Style" Wings

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/28 23:30:48 (permalink)

My First Attempt at the "Spey Style" Wings

After getting a better look at this style of wing in one of swinger's pics, I decided to give it a try. While the results weren't top notch, I'm pleased, especially considering I whipped up the fly in just a few minutes, after a night of beer.

Please point out what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I might try to do to make it better...other than getting the second pic in focus.

3 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: My First Attempt at the "Spey Style" Wings 2009/09/29 01:20:49 (permalink)
    Drink More Beer!   LOL!    Don't ya just love a critic  Especially one who can't tie.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: My First Attempt at the "Spey Style" Wings 2009/09/29 05:54:50 (permalink)
    The overall design is nice. But what you may want to do is lighten up the amount of material in the tail. Lighten up the body hackle as well. Start with going about 5 turns. If you want to go even spacer strip one side. Traditionally the wing does not pass the bend in the hook. I like a rib in my flies to help protect it from the teeth and also send a subtle flash. Keep working on them and they come out better and better each time. Enjoy.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: My First Attempt at the "Spey Style" Wings 2009/09/29 07:15:07 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

As far as the tail: Basically, I was going fast and didn't feel like digging around for my red hackle, which I would have preferred. Body hackle I can fix...I think that's 7 turns...maybe 7 1/2, I can definitely cut down to 5.

Wing proportion is one of the things I was wondering about, thanks for the tip on length. Is the angle of the wing (relative to the shank) about right? How about the "tent" that they make?

I do have a rib on this one, though its hard to see in the weird lighting. It's metallic red tinsel and the hackle is wound so that the stem is tucked in beside it.

Just before adding the wing, I threw in a few turns of red guinea for good measure!
    Jump to: