2009/09/28 23:23:30 (permalink)

I'm curious

Over the years I always see this question asked

"how far up"

I'm curious of those that ask...
 if someone didn't say

"yea, there up to XYZ spot"

would you ever go look for yourself?
 or do you wait and follow the the pack when the word "gets out" on the 'net?

..L.T.A.

42 Replies Related Threads

2fish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/28 23:29:00 (permalink)
    I tend to let the weather and prior experience guide my destinations. Not to say that I've never been wrong, there have been times that I've been up the creek before the fish.

Love 2fish
    Live 2fish
    Work in order to afford 2fish
    flyfisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/28 23:34:47 (permalink)
    I dislike that question more than any other question asked on this site. Im sure if you tell them that the fish are at XYZ spot, they will go there....along with everyone else
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/28 23:36:27 (permalink)
    i would go take a look myself for a little while. But I would much rather someone honestly tell me how far the fish are up rather than fishing half a day on some trib on upper elk, that has absolutely no fish in it. Anytime I can help someone out with fishing, I try. Seems to me these days that people get pretty much murdered for asking a question or two, even if they are repetitive. The thing is though, even the repetitive changes from time to time, if not everyday(referring to how far up, lure/bait/fly choices, water flow, etc)
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 00:07:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: McFishin

i would go take a look myself for a little while. But I would much rather someone honestly tell me how far the fish are up rather than fishing half a day on some trib on upper elk, that has absolutely no fish in it.

A half day wasted looking for fish?  How?  

You can get to the mouth of Elk from the upper reaches in under 20 min.  You can tell if an area has fish in it rather quickly, especially since they are typically visible to some degree.  I fail to see how it could take more than an hour or two to find some fish.  The other streams aren't worth mentioning in this regard since they are so short.

I agree with the rest of you guys, that is also my least favorite question.  From here on out we know there will be fish in the tribs until spring, go find em'.  And my least favorite response to it is: the fish are at "this" bridge, or have made it up to "this" town.  There is a well defined line between "guidance" and "spoonfeeding".

Like 2fish, I refer to years past to make my decisions.  For the early part of the season I try and start as far upstream as possible, and work down until I find some fish.  Sure, I strike out sometimes, the worst case is that I am out an hour or so of fishing and I have to join the crazies. 

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 00:19:34 (permalink)
    Just wait till december to go. By then, they'll be all over the place.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 00:28:07 (permalink)
    Oh, I've been up the creek many times!

Fishmonger
    2fish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 00:34:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishmonger

Oh, I've been up the creek many times!

I hear ya !!! I knew that after reading my own post that I'd be hearing about being "up the creek" LOL

Love 2fish
    Live 2fish
    Work in order to afford 2fish
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 01:15:26 (permalink)
    I usually never had a paddle!

Fishmonger
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 01:30:54 (permalink)
    Here's my answer to the question.  As you drive up 70 get off at Mckean and look for cars, then go down to Sterrettania and look for cars, it's a short drive to Struetchen flats, then Folleys, then go straight down the road (98?) till you get to trout run.  Fish the lake and then start back up.  The fish will be up at least past the last car.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 01:43:27 (permalink)
    When someone asks that question, you can:

(a) not answer even though you know the answer;
    (b) answer honestly because you know the answer;
    (c) answer dishonestly, even though you know the truth;
    (d) respond by either berating the asker, the answered or both and anyone who ever dared ask such a question.

What is curious is why so many people, so often, choose #4.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 02:47:39 (permalink)
    "What is curious is why so many people, so often, choose #4."

I have no doubt you would choose #4, from a choice of A,B,C, or D. 

Explains alot.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 02:49:46 (permalink)
    "I'm curious"

I've heard that about you.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 03:21:32 (permalink)
    You're fishen spoon

Fishmonger
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 07:44:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: genieman77

Over the years I always see this question asked

"how far up"

I'm curious of those that ask...
    if someone didn't say

"yea, there up to XYZ spot"

would you ever go look for yourself?
    or do you wait and follow the the pack when the word "gets out" on the 'net?

..L.T.A.

Hmmm. So many possible answers to your questions.

Let me try to answer them from my point of view. (Honestly)

I would and do (when possible) look for myself, as I am 5 hours away. Actually did this past week end.  Some times it's just hard to do a 10 hour round trip to "go look".

No I do not wait for the pack... at times I'd like to know where they are so I can estimate where they might be for the coming week or weekend.  Kinda like hunting I like to plan my trip and not spend time wondering place to place.

So in a recap I guess a person would post the question if they did not see someone else make a recent post stating that the fish are at point "XYZ".  Because they want to know.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 08:17:12 (permalink)
    I guess I would question why someone would ask that question in the first place.  They are either lazy and do not want to spend a little time to stop and look or they have little experience on the streams and have no clue about what the fish actually do.

A bit of advice for those who feel the need to ask the question of how far up.  When you come to fish, start low on the streams, fish where there are likely to be fish.  If you decide to move, move upstream.  The streams are not that big and you can ride pretty much from the mouth of Elk to just about anywhere on upper Elk in less than 30 minutes.  Part of the experience of stream fishing for steelies is walking the stream looking for them.  If you want to just park your car, walk a few yards to the stream and find a ton of fish waiting to be caught, go to the access area on Walnut and find a place on the wall.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2009/09/29 08:36:39

pax vobiscum +
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 08:47:53 (permalink)
    look'n is part of fish'n.

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 09:34:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I guess I would question why someone would ask that question in the first place.  They are either lazy and do not want to spend a little time to stop and look or they have little experience on the streams and have no clue about what the fish actually do.

It is likely both of these reasons depending on the person.  However unless you know it is laziness, why not assume it is inexperience?  Additionally, with such inexperience comes the inability to recognize signs that would indicate that fish have arrived at a particular location.  Like those with more experience, many people asking this question want to spread out so they can fish with a little extra space around them.  They wouldn't be asking such a question if they just wanted to crowd into the first few hundred yards of stream. 

These people may be trying to plan an outing with other inexperienced anglers.  It may involved a couple small groups in separate cars trying to meet up.  This would place a premium on selecting a meetup or parking area where they actually plan to fish.  They may NOT[edit] be arriving at the same time and not have access to a cell phone that the earlier group can use to alert the other of a move required by what was found upon their earlier arrival, if they even know "what was found."

In another vein, they may actually want to fish down low and are looking to see how likely it is that some of the pressure there may have lifted because of the upstream movement of fish.

The bottom line from my perspective is that there are so many various reasons someone might want to know "how far up" that it would be a small courtesy to simply make a choice whether you want to answer with information you know or whether you prefer not to do so.  Any other response is just discourteous, insulting or (dare I say) selfish.
    post edited by MackJ - 2009/09/29 10:07:49
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 09:47:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

It is likely both of these reasons depending on the person.  However unless you know it is laziness, why not assume it is inexperience?  Additionally, with such inexperience comes the inability to recognize signs that would indicate that fish have arrived at a particular location.  Like those with more experience, many people asking this question want to spread out so they can fish with a little extra space around them.  They wouldn't be asking such a question if they just wanted to crowd into the first few hundred yards of stream. 

These people may be trying to plan an outing with other inexperienced anglers.  It may involved a couple small groups in separate cars trying to meet up.  This would place a premium on selecting a meetup or parking area where they actually plan to fish.  They may be arriving at the same time and not have access to a cell phone that the earlier group can use to alert the other of a move required by what was found upon their earlier arrival, if they even know "what was found."

In another vein, they may actually want to fish down low and are looking to see how likely it is that some of the pressure there may have lifted because of the upstream movement of fish.

The bottom line from my perspective is that there are so many various reasons someone might want to know "how far up" that it would be a small courtesy to simply make a choice whether you want to answer with information you know or whether you prefer not to do so.  Any other response is just discourteous, insulting or (dare I say) selfish.

Why assume anything?  Why not call a baitshop for more accurate, dependable information?   Why be a fly in the ointment?
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 10:04:50 (permalink)
    The best teacher is experience.  Get out and walk the streams.  You will learn more about steelhead fishing doing that than sitting at home and reading a fishing forum.  All you need to get started is already on this forum.  If you want more, read Nagy's book.

You could start as suggested at the upper parts of the stream and work down until you hit fish.  As the season goes on, fish will be pretty much everywhere.  This is not rocket science here.

The point is why do you need to know exactly where the fish are, exactly what they are biting on, exactly what the water temperature, flow rate, color, pH, leaf content, etc...  I would suspect that many fisherman are not timing their trip based solely on reports, but are coming when they have the time to come.   

Come when you can, fish where you like and enjoy your experience. 

pax vobiscum +
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 10:18:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph:

Why not call a baitshop for more accurate, dependable information?

One might think a fellow angler would be more reliable than a bait shop, particularly on fish location.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 10:34:57 (permalink)
    One usually is, in private.  Not on a forum filled with 4,000 vultures waiting for the next slab of meat to be tossed.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 10:37:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

One usually is, in private.  Not on a forum filled with 4,000 vultures waiting for the next slab of meat to be tossed.

+1

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 10:43:34 (permalink)
    Skip

I knew of it, but never saw it, or looked for it.  I've always used the gauges and precip. amounts.

Your inbox is full btw...

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:01:25 (permalink)
    if you have google earth.. you can actually zoom in and measure it with a ruler..

manchester hole is approximately 1/2 mile up from the end of the channel at the mouth
    DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:03:21 (permalink)

One might think a fellow angler would be more reliable than a bait shop, particularly on fish location.

heavens no! "never" ask where to catch fish at a baitstore...

they are wrong almost 85% of the time.. lol 

ask a fellow fisherman/angler instead.. sit in the baitstore parking lot and wait for one if you have to.. hehe

gotta love it
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:10:03 (permalink)

Why would one think that random people on the internet, (who could be located hundreds or thousands of miles from any particular body of water) would be more reliable than a local bait and tackle supplier, who makes his or her living from belping anglers?  Some of these baitshops, especially in Erie, have hundreds of anglers coming in and out of their stores all day, every day. 

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:15:00 (permalink)
    If you have ever been in a bait shop when the phone rings, you would know the answer to your question. 

Incidentally, I don't, nor do the persons asking questions, consider the people on here to be "random people on the internet."  I think it is a good assumption that the persons here are anglers familiar with the tributaries and steelhead angling.  The only assumptions that are dangerous would be that they know what they are talking about and are trying to be helpful.  What I suggest to anglers trying to learn their way is to keep a list of every poster who belittles, ridicules, complains or whines about information requests.  Then, when a reply provides information, check the poster against your list and discard any information coming from people on that list unless it was sent by PM.  At that point, take all presumptively helpful information and rely upon it if it is confirmed by two other independent sources.  Otherwise take it with a grain of salt.
    post edited by MackJ - 2009/09/29 11:23:24
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:26:42 (permalink)
     What I suggest to anglers trying to learn their way is to keep a list of every poster who belittles, ridicules, complains or whines about information requests.  Then, when a reply provides information, check the poster against your list and discard any information coming from people on that list unless it was sent by PM.  At that point, take all presumptively helpful information and rely upon it if it is confirmed by two other independent sources.  Otherwise take it with a grain of salt.

That's a lovely idea one has.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: I'm curious 2009/09/29 11:34:55 (permalink)
    I think I am the one who has the idea.  I do not recommend people use the indefinite pronoun "one" if they are not familiar with its proper usage.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: