Honey hole?

Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/23 13:22:00 (permalink)

Honey hole?

I found what looks like THE honey hole spot on a gameland. I am not worried about other hunters. The spot is almost straight up for about 600 yards. It is basicaly the top. There are about 4 major and 2 minor trails all intersecting very close to a rock water basin.(has over a foot of water in it all summer) All around this top, there are TONS of acorns on the ground and still falling. Lots of droppings but very few old rubs. Will the deer come to drink? Is this a honey hole(bus stop)?  Has anyone else seen a basin on top of a steep hill? I saw 4 grouse near this basin this morning.  

7 Replies Related Threads

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/23 17:27:00 (permalink)
    Acorns....Water???   What more do you need....Spot is it for sure...Bucks will cruise that area looking for some tail....Acorns are spotty up north here, atleast in the woods where I have been scouting...Few and far between.... Look on the bright side....Atleast you wouln't have to drag up the hill....lol...That would suck....

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/23 17:30:49 (permalink)
    Anywhere there's acorns cant be too bad, right?

You wont know if it's a bus stop unless you hunt there four or five years and the deer show up at the same general time each year.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/23 20:09:08 (permalink)
    Slick, a lot of people tell me that deer get most of their water from the foods they eat. Guys tell me that deer don't drink a lot of water. I have seen a bunch of deer drinking from streams when it was a bad drought. Can't believe the amount of acorns though. Very few left on the trees. Dane I am thinking about wearing a crossing guard uniform up in the tree.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/23 23:07:54 (permalink)
    Yes, I heard that also, but I have also seen deer drinking from streams and other water sources...They are gonna get thirst choking down all those acorns....Anytime I hunt a big area with acorns...I see most of the deer mid-day..no joke...I don't know what it is about an acorn ridge, but like I said, seen a lot of deer from 11-3pm....Not even in rut either...

bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/24 07:19:02 (permalink)
    Sounds like you found same thing I've found, in fact have couple spots that are a lot like you described, mostly red oak that seem to have a lot of mast ,white oak are spotty but found one spot where their heavy only problem is I want to hang a stand but don't want to disturb them (their there what seems like all the time) 
     so think I'll use climber have tree picked out for it,  good luck and the payoff for that 600 yard climb is a sweet drag should be all downhill. Also found some red oak(loaded) mixed in some real heavy cover think that spot will be saved for November when the guys are looking for the gals.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/24 13:26:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Slick, a lot of people tell me that deer get most of their water from the foods they eat. Guys tell me that deer don't drink a lot of water. I have seen a bunch of deer drinking from streams when it was a bad drought. Can't believe the amount of acorns though. Very few left on the trees. Dane I am thinking about wearing a crossing guard uniform up in the tree.

sweet!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Honey hole? 2009/09/24 23:46:22 (permalink)
    When it is as dry as it has been here in lawrence county just prior to archery, hunting the water has always worked reallly well!!!!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: